A Great Transition from CTC to RTR !

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momtofive

A Great Transition from CTC to RTR !

Post by momtofive » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:13 pm

When we began HOD, my son started out in Preparing Hearts. He did great with the program, and then this year moved into CTC. When we learned that HOD was going to do high school guides, my son did the math and realized that he wouldn't get to do the last high school guide before he graduated. So after talking it over, he decided that he wanted to do the guides at five days per week, so he could be able to do all of them. He's on track to start the Geography guide at the beginning of his ninth grade year. Then we'll slow to just doing them as a four day a week guide. I'm sure by then, he'll really appreciate the extra day each week for other studies, work, or recreation. :wink:

So all of that to say that last week he finished CTC!!!! :D He and I both have really loved our time together learning about the ancient time period. He's learned so much this year, and has really grown spiritually, too! :D His understanding of God's Word is deepening with each day's lessons! This week he began RTR, and was so excited to get going. He just jumped right in to this new guide with both feet. It's been a seamless transition! He is loving this guide just as much or more than the last one. :wink:

I am so pleased to see how the end of CTC really built up to the beginning of RTR! The skill development progresses just as seamlessly as the guides flow together. We are really loving using HOD and are so thankful for this curriculum in our home! I look forward to each and every guide as we begin them anew with the younger children. It really is a sweet time of learning! :wink:

Thank you HOD! May God continue to bless! :D
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

andreacress

Re: A Great Transition from CTC to RTR !

Post by andreacress » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:17 pm

I am intrigued by your decision to use the guides 5 days per week so you can do them all. At what grade did you start doing that? We are going to begin CTC in the Fall for 6th grade. I would like to be able to do all the guides as well, so I'd love to hear how you accomplished this. Thanks for sharing your story! I'm so excited to start with HOD in August.
Andrea in FL

ds, 10th grade, World History Guide

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:58 pm

When we began, my son appeared to place in CTC. However, after doing three units in CTC, we realized that he was improperly placed. I emailed Carrie and shared with her how things were going, and she suggested that we drop back down to Preparing Hearts. Wow, that was a really good decision. He did so well with it, became very comfortable with how the guide worked and really soared. We came to the decision partly because I wanted to use the guides for high school as is, and partly because he really really wanted to do all of them! He loves HOD! :D

Our plan isn't very complex! :wink: We're just simply doing school five days per week! It's what he's used to doing, anyway. He's just moving through the guides a wee bit faster than he would otherwise. If he ever reaches a point where things become hard or overwhelming, we can slow it down at that time.

When we decided to do this, he was in fifth grade, doing Preparing. By the time he's nearing the end of his 8th grade year, he'll be finishing MTMM. So for his 9th grade year, he'll start out with the Geography guide and will do all the high school guides at four days per week!

***As a side note, this is not how HOD recommends you to do things, this is just a personal conviction of our to do it this way, for this situation! :wink: ***

Blessings!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

andreacress

Post by andreacress » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:46 am

Thanks so much! It is something to pray about for our son as well. I understand why this is not the recommended track but we are only homeschooling one of our three sons (i.e. we can get a lot done in a day!) and we already do 5 days a week. The umbrella school we are considering for high school follows a suggested course track that fits in best with HOD's proposed guides for HS so I would love to use them as is. I guess we could always skip one of the years, say MMTM, when we enter high school, but that's probably not recommended either. I appreciate hearing what has worked for your son!
Andrea in FL

ds, 10th grade, World History Guide

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:52 pm

I wouldn't recommend skipping any of the guides. The skills built within them build on each other, so skipping a guide would disadvantage your child in the gradual building of skills, as well as missing a big piece of the puzzle. I'd just move along through them taking them in order! :wink:

We don't do anything extra each day. We just do one day of the HOD plans in the guide each day! So, it's not any additional work on your child, to do this!

Have fun on your HOD journey! :D
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:19 am

You must be so proud of your ds, Lisa! :D That takes quite a bit of fortitude to be willing to do 5 days of school each week in order to finish all of the guides. He is an inspiration! :D I am so glad he transitioned so well from CTC and RTR - we found the same to be true for our ds. I hope you have a wonderful year with RTR - we sure did! Keep on truckin' little man - I am officially impressed! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks, Julie! :D

He's really enjoyed the HOD guides that we've done so far, and is really looking forward to the ones to come! :wink:

I wanted to share our experience just to testify to the fact that the "jump" from one guide to the next, isn't really a jump at all! Kids are really well prepared for the next guide as they finish the one before. Whether you start the next guide in line after a summer break, or the very next day, they'll be ready! :D

We're so thankful for this curriculum, and all the components within it, that gently teach our kids while growing their hearts closer to the Lord! :wink:

Many blessings! :D
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!