Placement Question on DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
glperky

Placement Question on DITHOR

Post by glperky » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:05 pm

I want to start DITHOR with my 8th grader. I just read in the TM that, “Any students that are new to the program should be placed in level 2/3 or 4/5. So, should I just place him in 4/5 and give him books to read at his level? Or is 8th grade too old to start this program? Also, if he starts off this year at 4/5 could he just continue on with the program in 9/10th. I know that is really up to me, but I don’t know enough about DITHOR to know the answer, I just got my TM today and started looking at it. Any input and help will be appreciated.
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

glperky

Re: Placement Question on DITHOR

Post by glperky » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:33 am

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:13 pm

I would definately place an 8th grader in level 6/7/8. I think the lower placement advice applies to younger students than yours. For example my 5th and 6th graders (next year) are both doing 4/5, but the next year they will both do 6/7/8 as 6th and 7th graders. Enjoy!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:29 pm

I agree with 8arrows' sound advice - your ds can do Level 6/7/8, and I bet he is going to L-O-V-E it! :D We just - as in today - finished our last DITHOR genre for this school year. What a great year! We have always loved DITHOR, but this year was especially neat as both of our sons were old enough to flourish with it. You can also use it for 9th grade lit. credit, as long as you choose higher level books. When you get to that point, there are some great threads on this board I can link you to - but for now, you can just get to enjoying 6/7/8 with your eighth grader. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

glperky

Post by glperky » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks ladies for the input. I was just concerned because the TM said that they would need to know stuff taught in the early years to do 6/7/8. But if you think he will be fine.
my3sons wrote:I agree with 8arrows' sound advice - your ds can do Level 6/7/8, and I bet he is going to L-O-V-E it! :D We just - as in today - finished our last DITHOR genre for this school year. What a great year! We have always loved DITHOR, but this year was especially neat as both of our sons were old enough to flourish with it. You can also use it for 9th grade lit. credit, as long as you choose higher level books. When you get to that point, there are some great threads on this board I can link you to - but for now, you can just get to enjoying 6/7/8 with your eighth grader. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Can you go ahead and link me to those threads, if it's not to much trouble, as he will be in the 9th grade this fall. Thank you so much for being a blessing!
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10