HOD's Planned Scope and Sequence

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Glad2Bsaved

HOD's Planned Scope and Sequence

Post by Glad2Bsaved » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:05 pm

My child started HOD's "LHFHG" when in Kindergarten. He has done a new guide with each new year meaning he will be in RevToRev next year (Grade 6). In looking at the HOD Scope and Sequence chart, he will start high school level (Geography Through History) in Grade 8, age 13. That seems too young. He'll run out of guides in 11th grade. Should I take a break from HOD (say it ain't so!) for a year, and start him back at age 14 which would be Grade 9, at the high school level? Any thoughts?

deltagal

Re: HOD's Planned Scope and Sequence

Post by deltagal » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:19 pm

Where are you at this point in the sequence?
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Glad2Bsaved

Post by Glad2Bsaved » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:12 pm

We take the spring off instead of the summer, so beginning in June, we will be in "Revival To Revolution".

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:16 pm

I know Julie has posted that her DS will also be done with HOD after junior year and that they plan on doing community college courses at home the next year, among other options. I would keep going and then decide when you get there! Personal finance courses etc would be great, plus things the kid is interested in. If I can find the post I'll link it!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:17 pm

With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Yep, that's the post I was thinking of, Thanks!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

Glad2Bsaved

Post by Glad2Bsaved » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks a bunch! I just joined the message board today and what a blessing already!

davisfam7

Post by davisfam7 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Glad2Bsaved,
Could you spread the Rev to Rev guide out over two years?? Maybe add in the extensions to make it stretch? Do math, Lang. Arts, Science everyday and just alternate the left side of the page boxes? My 8th and 9th graders are doing Rev to Rev this year and it is a pretty meaty guide. He may get more out of it if you go at a slower pace. Then he would be on track to do the new MTMM guide for 8th grade and then hit the highschool guides at the right age. Anyway, just a thought.
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC
Have done Bigger, Preparing, RtR, Rev to Rev, MtMM, World Geo.

Glad2Bsaved

Post by Glad2Bsaved » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:20 pm

davisfam7,
Thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:54 am

Glad2BSaved,

I'm late to this thread, but I just wanted to check to see how your child is doing overall in RTR this year? The reason I ask is that if your son is thriving in RTR and is able to do what the guide asks, then he will be more than ready for Rev2Rev at full-speed next year. :D

RTR is a very meaty guide and prepares a child well for the rigors of Rev2Rev, so in pondering your situation if you did go the route of doing Rev2Rev over 2 years it would actually be far less rigorous than RTR (so he would in essence be losing steam rather than gaining steam and momentum as he heads into the high school years). :D The only time we typically advise slowing a guide down is if it is too difficult for a child and the child needs to mature a bit in order to handle the workload. :D

Kiddos who have come up through HOD and are appropriately placed in the right guide for them, find themselves pretty able to handle what comes next. So, if your child is well-placed and is not struggling mightily through RTR, I would encourage heading into Rev2Rev as planned. Rev2Rev is a 4 day guide already, so to stretch it out over two years would technically mean the child would be only doing two actual days of schoolwork a week. This doesn't seem like enough. At that point you would likely begin adding to make it enough and by then you could just more easily do what is in Rev2Rev already. :D

I wouldn't worry about not being prepared for the guides to come, as one guide prepares a child well for the next in line as long as you aren't having to skip and downsize very often. :D If your son does come to the geography guide in grade 8, it will not be an uncommon occurrence. Geography is one of the easier high-school level subjects and should not present a huge stumbling block. DITHR can be continued in the geography so the lit. does not get too hard too fast, and the grammar and math are just on a continuous path. :D In writing, the child will be well-prepared as well. :D We will also offer options for science. :D

If HOD is going well for you, I wouldn't jump ship right as your child is preparing for high school. Instead, it would be better to finish early and have an extra year on the end to prepare for college, do an internship, earn extra credits in areas of interest, retake the SAT or ACT, begin earning CLEP credits, do a year of missions work, etc. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Glad2Bsaved

Post by Glad2Bsaved » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:25 pm

I haven't been on the message board in a couple of weeks and was pleasantly surprised to see your comments, Carrie.
In RTR my son has thrived. I do believe it is because he has been in HOD from the beginning and thus been able to handle each new year's guides. Just today I was considering how to slow down a guide, and was thinking he would get accustomed to the easier pace, problably causing a struggle at the time we started back to one guide a year. I like your options for the "extra" year at the end. My questions started after looking at Apoligia's science schedule i.e. Physical Science for 8th Grade (Prereq. Grade 7 Math). My son would be in 6th Grade using Rev2Rev which has physical science. This made me wonder if I needed to hold off on the science portion, and if he'd get the high school credits when he is only in 6th grade.