when to do guides

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sally525

when to do guides

Post by sally525 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:10 am

we are now doing beyond with my 7(1st) and my 9(3rd) my question is do i go on to bigger or wait a year? see i would like to keep them together, using the extensions with my older. everyone seems to think it is best to start preparing when in 4th grade i do not want to rush my younger one, beyond was a perfect fit for him. and i think he will be able to handle bigger with no problem. any suggestions?

deltagal

Re: when to do guides

Post by deltagal » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:13 am

Keep on moving forward, but move to 1/2 pace. There are quite a few posts on Bigger 1/2 pace.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 am

I would just keep going until (and if) there is a problem. You could slow down at that point. Why fix something that isn't broke? I really like having mine combined too. I tend not to worry so much about the "perfect" fit, but instead focus on the best fit for my family. Deltagal has a great plan if you start Bigger and sense that it is too much for the younger one.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:53 am

I'm doing Bigger next year for 2nd grade with my DD, she'll turn 8 just before. :) We are going full speed in Beyond right now but only 4 days a week so it'll be oct/nov when we start Bigger and plan on doing it 4 days a week too.
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

psreit

Post by psreit » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:13 pm

My daughter will be doing Bigger in the fall. She will be 9(grade 3). It's the best fit, so that is where we are. We probably will do half speed to start and see how she does, but, if need be, I will keep her half speed and take two years(3rd and 4th grades) to do it. So, don't worry about grade level. Like the pps said, do what is best for your child. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:41 pm

I've said before that I believe Bigger is a good 3rd grade program and Preparing 4th, etc. With that said, because we school year round, I just go from one guide to another because the guides prepare them for the next one.

So my current 8yo has been doing Preparing since January. She's technically 3rd grade, but I tell her she's doing 4th grade work. My second started Beyond just after Christmas, right about the time she turned 7, and will be starting Bigger before she's 8 (early 2nd grade).... so she'll be in CTC likely around the time she starts 4th grade.

The only thing I make sure of is that for the last 10 weeks or so of every guide they are able to complete ALL of a days work in a day, without cutting out anything. (in other words all the copywork, all the vocab words, everything) Then I start the first couple of weeks in each guide half speed so they can learn what to do with each box.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:01 pm

The ladies have given you great advice! :D I agree that one guide prepares a child well for the next guide in line. If Beyond has been a good fit for your pair, then it is likely that Bigger will be too. You may wish to begin Bigger Hearts at half-speed for a couple of weeks to train your kiddos in the new aspects of the guide.

Then, you can bump up to full-speed. Since you have a 7 year old, you could consider doing Bigger just 4 days a week with both kiddos. This would mean that you would go 9 additional weeks into the next school year to finish Bigger, before beginning Preparing. This would allow your young one to grow up a bit, without holding your older child back. Plus, you'd get a free day every week, which is a huge blessing! :D

I'd love to hear your thoughts when you get a chance! :D

Blessings,
Carrie