Help me reorganize Rev to Rev

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
blessedmomof4

Help me reorganize Rev to Rev

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:11 pm

I will probably need a nap after I write this post :P Anyway, for those who are doing Rev to Rev, how have you organized your stuff? Julie?? Anyone's input is welcome. We have binders with page protectors for the notebooking pages, but I mean keeping the rest of the books books together and accessible, rather than winding up in a pile on the couch, or the table, or the floor...or jumbled on the bookshelf. I truly think my dd would enjoy participating in the organization process with me, and it would renew her enthusiasm. She feels like she can't keep track of her books and it frustrates her! Otherwise, she really likes Rev to Rev, even the extensions. How about using bins, or labeling books? I need some ideas, pictures would be great, too! Thanks in advance :D Ok, now back to bed :lol:
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

8arrows

Re: Help me reorganize Rev to Rev

Post by 8arrows » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Have you seen the desk apprentice at Staples? We use one of those. For the books we aren't currently using, they go in a sterilite container until we need them.

ETA: I have a desk apprentice for my teacher's manuals as well. I like the steralite containers for the kids idea posted below too.
Last edited by 8arrows on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:22 pm

We also keep a sterilite container for each guide with the books that are coming up. And then each child has a sterilite container with their name on it. Their math book, HOD books, spiral notebooks for dictation, common place books, and R&S textbook & workbook are in their box. (I have 2 combined in Bigger so they share a box.) All the TM's and HOD guides go in my box. The boxes go in a closet (in the mud room just off the kitchen). This is also where the sterilite containers are with the upcoming books, and where I keep sterilite containers with markers, colored pencils, and art supplies. The reference books are also on a shelf in this closet.

In the morning, the kids get out the "Teacher's Box" and their own boxes and put them on the kitchen table. As they work on something, they pull it out of the box. When they are done working on it, they put it back in the box (usually :wink: ). At the end of the day, we grab the 4 boxes and set them on their shelf in the closet. We used to keep the books on a shelf and throughout the day the kids would grab a book and then leave it on the table or on the couch. Then they would grab another book. At the end of the day, we would have 20 books all over the table and I wanted to make supper. Because the boxes are so handy, the kids are pretty good about setting their books back in them, and it is so nice at supper time to just grab the 4 boxes and move them.

HTH,
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

SMiles

Post by SMiles » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:17 pm

We are doing unit 14 of RTR and my ds tells me at least once a week how much he is enjoying it. For organization I simply have the books he is currently using on the bookshelf and the rest put away in a tub. He loves getting out new books as we need them. This has eliminated books getting lost. We haven't had to get into the tub too much as sometimes he will look ahead and grab books he will use soon as well.

HTH,
Sherry :D
Sherry~Married to dh for 19 years!

DS14~Rev2Rev with extensions, Saxon math & Dithor~
DD12~CTC with extensions, Saxon math & Dithor~

We have used Beyond, Preparing, CTC, and RTR!!

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:11 pm

Thanks for the ideas ladies :D I think I can manage to get some sterlite containers. As much as I like the desk apprentice, I think the price is over budget :o
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:13 pm

Great ideas! :D We also use plastic containers. I have 2 containers, one for the books we are using now, and one for the books we have used and are done with or will still need to use later in the year. I like the square plastic totes. They fit on our cabinet shelves behind closed doors, are the right size for the books we are using now, and are not unbearably heavy. :D The left one is Wyatt's for this year in RevtoRev...

The bottom container is the one for the books we have used and are dont with or will still need to use later in the year for Wyatt's RevtoRev...

You can see on the last picture on "Black Gold" the white mailing labels I put on each book's spine. I draw a heart on all of them to show they are HOD's books. Then, I write the initials of the guide and any other info (i.e. DITHOR, 5/6, B -for boy set). For the RevtoRev books, I put the heart and "REV" on each label along with whatever initials fit the package, i.e.
Rev Hist. (history)
Rev Ext (extension)
Rev Sci (science)
Rev Storytime

I label all of our DITHOR books with the heart, DITHOR, the level, and the set name. :D

The white labels are cheap and easy to see on the spines. :D I can also see if someone has taken an HOD book to their room to lovingly read again, and when I need it again for another child, I can easily spot it on their bookshelves. :lol:

I do remind Wyatt to put the books we are finished with in the back of the "To Use Later" container. Then, within that container, I put the books in groups of Hist., Sci., Storytime, DITHOR. This just makes it easier to find the new books as needed. If Wyatt was reading the Extensions, I would probably put those in a small container of their own, as they wouldn't fit, and would be easier to find in their own tote.

Wyatt keeps his RevtoRev History Student Notebook, Inventor Student Notebook, and Map Trek binder in a separate cupboard near the other totes but not in them. All the kids have their binder "portfolios" in that cupboard. :D Wyatt puts his RevtoRev TG in his room each day after school, so he has it by his bed first thing the next morning to do his Bible Quiet Time.

I hope something here helps, and that you are beginning to be over your morning sickness! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:47 pm

I have a long table with all the children's crates loaded with the books they are currently using sitting on top of the table. Underneath the table are crates with all the books they will be using this year, but have not gotten to at this point. When they finish a book, it goes into one of several large sterilite containers that I keep with all of our HOD books stored for long-term.

Each child has a notebook set-up per HOD instructions with a zippered pouch for a few basic tools - pencils, pens,post-it notes, erasers, scissors. In the room we work are additional artwork supplies, etc.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM