some help for 5..possibly 6 kids:)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kayben

some help for 5..possibly 6 kids:)

Post by kayben » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:42 am

I LOVE HOD. We have used it with total success and then again without total success. That being my innability to keep up with it all. But, the only time I was actually able to fully complete a year of curriculum (in a year...lol) was with HOD. I am determined to make it work in the fall.

Goal #1 is to declutter my home.. seriously ..like insanely.. declutter:) Then I think the rest will flow so much better.

Goal #2 is to make sure everyone is in the proper guide. No matter how many guides that means I have to use. I only just got the"memo" that I can use story time from one guide to read to a couple of the kids. I may also use DITHOR in combination with some of the reading already in place in the guides.

Here is where I need help. Could you read my planning and see what you think?

Cooper 4 pre-k, (Ellie 2.5 not counted in my numbers to school) Lots of Books and ABC's and 123's. I have LHTH but not sure how much we will actually fit in

Abby 1st grade. BLHFHG
Beginning reading right now, finishing up K . Will be ready for Emerging readers in the fall

Zoe 2nd Grade excellent reader, BHFHG (I know this works better for 3rd, but my next one needs it and would like to combine her) I suppose I could maybe combine her with Abby, but I like the Math coordinating with the grade level. Makes it easier for me to keep track of everything.

Cassie 4th (Math and writing disabilities) She is in her 4th year of BASIC addition, like K programs move too fast! She cannot write or spell even the simplest of words. She can do some copywork, painstakingly. She just did her first story with Dragon Dictation last week and it was really cute. She has OT issues and fatigues greatly while writing. I am thinking Bigger with Zoe, as she can read well and Handles grade level History, Science, and literature as long as the written work is done orally.

Emily 6th
strong student all around. Currentlty using Abeka in CS. But tends to be lazy. I am putting her in Res to Ref as she is doing American History in Christian School right now. I like CTC also, but she could follow the guides right on up if I put her is Res to ref. (She also did ancients last year)

Lastly,Ben 9th MTMM
70% sure he'll be home from PS. would use this guide with all High school recommendations.

I am counting on the independent portions of the upper guides to give me time to schedule the younger ones with sufficient mom time.

Well, what do you think?
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

MomtoJGJE

Re: some help for 5..possibly 6 kids:)

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:16 am

Did you use the placement chart to figure this out?

The only thing I'd really suggest would be using LHFHG for the 1st grader. It really is a nice guide, super easy to do, and really sets them up well to move into Beyond. You can do Emerging Readers with LHFHG (especially if you are using the Beyond guide with the others!). Then use whichever math you feel is appropriate, K or Singapore 1A, and 1st grade options for fine motor skills.

With that said, what if you did Beyond with the one who has trouble with math and writing (along with the 2nd grader)? You could start with singapore math as written in the guide and follow the hands on ideas. You could even add in R&S 2 if she's beyond basic grammar. The thing is MOST of the written work in Bigger cannot be done orally. I would say that you could just start slowly, but if you don't see her being able to do the work completely by the end of the guide, she won't be ready for Preparing. If you don't already use Singapore Math, you could have all three of them doing Singapore 1A with the hands on out of the Beyond guide. Which would cut down a little bit on time as well since you'd only be doing one lesson.

I don't know about the older ones :) Just trying to brainstorm and help you figure out how to be most successful. Basically instead of Beyond and Bigger, do LHFHG and Beyond.

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:20 pm

I think it looks good, except I would strongly consider combining Abby, Zoe, and Cassie in Beyond. Bigger has a lot of writing. (This is my second time through Bigger) If you place them all in Beyond, it will give Cassie another year to strengthen those writing skills. The history in Beyond is probably fine for her age, although I would add to the science. Possible CLP Nature Readers? That way she can read science on grade level but not have any additional written work. Then you can do the read alouds from Beyond with all of them, and have the olders do the storytime as ind. reading.
Hope this helps some. :)

Allison

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi,
I wanted to ask if you use a slant board with your child that fatigues with writing. It is very helpful and helps to build muscles needed for writing faster and longer. Gravity works with you and the slant board.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

kayben

Post by kayben » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Thank you ladies for your suggestions. I left my post this morning and headed to the park and did some thinking in the fresh air:) I think the idea of Beyond is a good one. I always feel like I should be giving Cassie material as close to grade level as possible. the thing is, that just doesn't work and the gap gets bigger year after year. I have a slant board, but honestly forgot about it. will give it a try.
I don't believe her writing is going to "catch up"...ever.. She may eventually be able to write simple sentences, but I don't foresee it happening anytime soon. She just writes and draws like a pre-k student, year after year. You know the circle body with stick legs. We keep trudging along and she is beginning AAS and I hope that improves her actual spelling skills. She has come a very long way with her reading and I am thrilled that she is able to read on grade level. This will allow me to use the living books as a base for her learning:)

Yes, I did use the placement guide. Abby can place in either LHFHG or BLHFHG. Zoe in BLHFHG or BHFHG. Cassie is trickier because she is all over the place. Combining them may be the best bet. Maybe all three in BLHFHG would give me the most time to work on the individual Math and LA that will have to happen no matter what choice we make:)

You all are wonderful.

Thank you for your ideas. I have a lot to think about:) :)
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:59 pm

I agree with putting the three in Beyond. I think it will be a good fit for them.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi kayben - it is so good to hear from ya! :D I like your goals. Decluttering? I feel the pain. It is about this time of year that need shows itself mightily at our house. Take comfort in knowing I'll be decluttering like crazy at the same time you are. :D The up side is I'm getting better at it. It's funny how when I declutter more and more, letting go of what I couldn't last year suddenly becomes easier when I realize I truly didn't use whatever I thought I HAD to hold onto for an entire year... or two... or three. :D

Placement? Good thoughts and many options. Ellie - LHTH as able, maybe half the boxes each day? We're doing that and really enjoyed our leisurely trip through LHTH. Plus the little guy liked his little mommy time each day. :D

Abby - fits great in Beyond. :D

Zoe - how's her writing? She could place in Beyond or Bigger. :D

Cassie - feel good about the progress made! She could place in Beyond or Bigger. You could have her do DITHOR orally, which would up the Reading for her whether she does Beyond or Bigger. :D

Emily - she really could do CTC or RTR. I'd try to - if possible - take the history out of the decision, and look at the first week of plans carefully for each. If she is a tad on the lazy side, I'd go with the one that you think she can truly handle well without you leaning over her shoulder urging her on. :wink: Maybe print the first week of plans for both CTC and RTR, and look over those "I" independent boxes ever so carefully to see if she could do them on her own. Likewise, check out the "S" semi-independent boxes to see if you can give her a bit of an intro and then she can finish them on her own. This will be very important as you have many precious dc to teach. :D

Ben - sounds right on track with MTMM and high school recommendations! Be sure to try not to add work for YOU with whatever Ben is doing for high school recommendations. :D

I'd LOVE for you to have 4 guides instead of 5 to teach. I think it's more realistic, and what keeps the homeschooling atmosphere calmer, happier, more doable, keeps homeschooling moving along better for all in the day to day. :D I'd learn toward Abby, Zoe, and Cassie in Beyond together. You can add the extensions for history for Cassie next year in Bigger Hearts. If you do this, you'd be doing half-speed LHTH, Beyond, CTC or RTR, and MTMM. Busy - but doable! :D The upper guides are quite independent (appropriately so) within CTC on up. You could start off this way, with 4 guides, and if you get into it and think you need Bigger Hearts for anyone (Zoe, Cassie) and that it would be good to do this, then you could always start BHFHG at that point. :D

I hope something here is helpful - praying for you in this decision!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

kayben

Post by kayben » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:01 pm

my3sons,
Thank you for remembering me:) lol Truly, I can already feel the relief that comes when there isn't so much "stuff" around. We are moving stuff out of here right and left:) Shoes, clothes, toys... if it hasn't been missed while shoved in a bin...it's outta here:)

Thank you for all of your recommendations. I am going to really think it all through. I think Ellie in LHTH will be great. I also have Cooper, a 4.5 year old to squeeze in. He will do fine in LHTH also. Then I will truly take your suggestions for the others as well. The older guides being semi independent will make a huge difference. I love the look of MTMM. I am just still working out what to label it for credit. I guess US History and add a bit to it.

Thank you all for your help!
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:59 am

Have you considered LHFHG for Cooper? If he has not done it, I would. He can always do it with emerging readers.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)