Can someone please tell me it is OK to dump SWR???!!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MommyInTraining

Can someone please tell me it is OK to dump SWR???!!!

Post by MommyInTraining » Mon May 12, 2008 9:52 pm

I started this with my children a few months ago, but we haven't gotten very far. I thought it was one of the best programs for teaching reading and spelling, but it is time intensive and I don't know anymore if I want to take the time to learn it and teach it. I feel like I will be short changing my children though if I go with something easier.

Can anyone offer any advice that would put those fears to rest?

Does the spelling in HOD teach all the sounds that different letter combinations make (like the 6 sounds of ough)? Does it teach spelling rules?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Tue May 13, 2008 11:35 am

I don't know the answer to this...I don't think HOD's spelling goes into that much detail so you may want to hang onto the book just to know all those different tricks.

You can safely drop it and use HOD and be just fine! Most kiddos probably learn to read and spell just fine without knowing all those rules, but if you're like me...you want to know! :lol: I use my Phonics Pathways just for that reason...so I'll know, whether my kids care or not! :wink:

So, you have permission! What are you thinking of using in it's place??
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

tawbur

Post by tawbur » Tue May 13, 2008 1:39 pm

Well, I completely understand your frustration; been there and know the confusion you feel. :?

First of all, I have the Beyond book and I can tell you that it has a spelling list for each unit/week, but doesn't include all the phono sounds like the "ough" you mentioned, and doesn't include any spelling rules, atleast that I could find. There are about 10 words on each list and each list follows a certain spelling pattern, such as using the short sound of "a", etc. I don't have any of the next books, so I don't know how far the spelling goes after Beyond, and whether they begin to include spelling rules or not. I think that the spelling aspect begins to drop off as sentence dictation picks up, but someone else might correct me on that.

I do use SWR, but only for phonics and spelling, which are my main goals, and not for any of the various L.A. enrichments that's included. I struggled with implementing it, as you are, but after much stumbling along with it, trying to understand it ALL completely, I finally just blindly "jumped into it", not bothering with any of the enrichments or with trying to do it "perfectly correct", and day by day the fog has cleared.

I still have not read through the SWR manual completely, :oops: nor have I made my own teacher's log, :oops: but none of that is absolutely necessary to successfully using SWR for phonics and spelling. :wink:

I am partial to SWR for phonics (learning to read), because it forces my son to slow down and see all the parts one by one, instead of hurriedly skipping or guessing at words he doesn't know, which he tends to do. Plus I really like the phonogram cards and the sp rules cards.

I have a detailed explanation of how I use SWR to meet my main goal of teaching my kids to read, (spelling is a side benefit at this point), if you want me to email it to you, just let me know. I'm finally very comfortable with using SWR, but I had to give up my "perfectionistic" desire to understand it "all" :shock: and do it "all" :shock: perfectly. This was hard for me, but VERY freeing. :)

But I know that many people have learned to read and spell with other programs, so if the fog just isn't clearing, and you don't want to suffer through another whole school year "foggy headed", you should feel free to use something else. In fact, you could use SWR's phono cards and sp cards with many other programs, because they are just so basic and are really great to have for review.

If I didn't use SWR, I'd use my next favorite, Phonics Pathways. It starts off with giant size font and less clutter than some, and is just one simple book for teacher/student combined. It's very easy. It just doesn't cover all the phonograms and all their sounds, nor does it cover all the spelling rules like SWR does. However, you could teach those with the SWR cards, on the side.

I looked at The Reading Lesson at the bookfair, because a friend uses it, and it looks good too. But I just glanced through it, so I can't say much about it really. It didn't look as visually crowded as Reading Made Easy, imo. You could use the SWR cards with both of these too, I'm sure, if you want more of the benefits of SWR.

But I don't mind trying to help you understand how to "jump" into SWR, if you want to email me off-list at: tawbur@sbcglobal.net

hth,
Teresa

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue May 13, 2008 5:09 pm

I've never used SWR (not even really sure what it stands for :roll: ...HOD is the only board I've ever been on...). I have however used some very teacher-intensive, time-consuming programs with my oldest. From your post, it sounds to me like SWR is taking time from you that you'd really rather spend doing something more enjoyable or important with your kids. So, to that I say drop it! :wink:

I don't think that you will be "robbing" your kids of learning to read or spell well by doing this. There are many great ways to learn to read...and different ones work well for different kids (and moms). In my opinion, it would probably be better for you and your kids if you found something simple and easy to implement and spend more time enjoying them when they're young. I heard someone say recently (can't remember who...) that they did a survey of young adults who were just starting out on their own and asked them what they wish they'd learned more of before they were on their own. Not a single one answered anything that had to do with academics. I'm not saying not to teach your child to read or spell, but I'd say to keep it in perspective of everything that you want to pass on to your kids, and if it's stressing you out, go with something simpler.

I hope I don't sound bossy...just thought I'd give you my $.02. :D
Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH