Help, please : )

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Robin Ruth

Help, please : )

Post by Robin Ruth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:55 pm

I am looking into starting HOD next year with my daughter who will be 9 & entering 4th grade. I originally thought she would place in PHFHG, but after reading several posts I am convinced she needs to start with BHFHG. We have only been homeschooling a few months and using bits and pieces from curriculum to activity style worksheets. We have recently started narration and copywork. I hope to start some form of dictation to prepare her for HOD. She has always been average in reading, usually struggling with comprehension (she is reading chapter books). She LOVES to read out loud and prefers to instead of reading silent. She frequently replaces known sight words with one another (i.e. and, the, etc.) , will add words that aren't there and transpose words in a sentence ("Great," Jack said would be read: "Great," said Jack). She is an excellent speller when doing word study tests. I have some questions in regard to BHFHG & DIHOR. Which R&S would you suggest she start with and is the Primary Math essential to the program? I'm thinking about using either Horizons or Math U See. Do you think the Girl Interest Pack in BHFHG would be too challenging? I noticed they are 4.2-6.4 reading levels. My daughter has always at least been on grade level but with comprehension issues. With DIHOR, would you suggest using Level 2/3 (would that help establish a better comprehension) or go with the Level 4/5? In addition, which Level book pack would you suggest for DIHOR? Thanks for any advice! :D

Robin
Robin
married for 22 years
dd 10 PHFHG /DITHOR 4/5

GinainMD

Re: Help, please : )

Post by GinainMD » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi Robin. I am using BHFHG with my older two girls this year so maybe I can help a little. As far as the girl interest package those are for storytime for you to read aloud so I don't think that they would be too challanging. With DITHOR I would think that it would be best to start with level 2/3, and for the book pack also, and just build from there. For Rod and Staff if she hasn't had formal grammar I would begin at level 3. It is incredibly thorough. Hope something here helps.
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

Robin Ruth

Post by Robin Ruth » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:22 am

Thanks Gina! Hey, I live in Maryland, too. We live in Carroll county- are you close by? I have a used homeschool curriculum/bookstore near us, so I may purchase the R&S 2 just to finish out this year to prepare her (I have read that the R&S 3 can be difficult?). Thanks again for your insight. :D

Robin
Robin
married for 22 years
dd 10 PHFHG /DITHOR 4/5

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:54 pm

Robin Ruth wrote: She has always been average in reading, usually struggling with comprehension (she is reading chapter books). She LOVES to read out loud and prefers to instead of reading silent. She frequently replaces known sight words with one another (i.e. and, the, etc.) , will add words that aren't there and transpose words in a sentence ("Great," Jack said would be read: "Great," said Jack). She is an excellent speller when doing word study tests. I have some questions in regard to BHFHG & DIHOR. Which R&S would you suggest she start with and is the Primary Math essential to the program? I'm thinking about using either Horizons or Math U See. Do you think the Girl Interest Pack in BHFHG would be too challenging? I noticed they are 4.2-6.4 reading levels. My daughter has always at least been on grade level but with comprehension issues. With DIHOR, would you suggest using Level 2/3 (would that help establish a better comprehension) or go with the Level 4/5? In addition, which Level book pack would you suggest for DIHOR? Thanks for any advice! :D

Robin
We started homeschooling in 4th grade with my oldest and it was an adjustment for both myself and my daughter. Public school is very different. I would probably start with R&S 3 with a 4th grader. With DITHOR b/c my children really hadn't learned how to analyze literature and read for content and discern elements and such with comprehension, we choose to have them read books on their reading level and do the workbook a level below. Eventually this evens out and they are doing reading and workbook in their grade level. I would probably start with either the level 3 reading pack or the level 4/5 reading pack (I would check out a title or 2 from each from the library and see which she seemed to do better with before buying a pack) and the 2/3 workbook.
I will pm you about the math.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

Wendi in MD

Post by Wendi in MD » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Welcome Robin :D . I am currently using Bigger with my 4th grade son and my 2nd grade daughter. It is a great program, we have had a lot of fun learning about American history this year!

Singapore Primary Math is not essential to the program, we used a different math curriculum this year...but I am strongly considering switching to Primary Math for next year for both kiddos. The Bigger guide does have lesson plans for Primary Math 2a & 2b that are optional, but you can easily substitute your own math curriculum.

We haven't used R&S 3 yet, my 2nd grade daughter used R&S 2 this year and my 4th grade son finished out another grammar curriculum. I plan to place him in R&S 4 for his 5th grade year, I have read that R&S is a pretty advanced grammar curriculum.

I am also in Maryland, up in Northern Frederick County...we're practically neighbors :D
Wendi in Maryland
Wife to Scott
Mama to Ryan {2002}, Abby {2004}, and Caleb {2006}

Robin Ruth

Post by Robin Ruth » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks Wendi!

I have a friend in Hagerstown that homeschools. She uses mostly A Beka. Thanks for your input. For now I will be working with R&S 2 the remainder of this year and we will switch to R&S 3 in the fall when we start HOD (as long as we're happy with R&S). I'm still not sure about Singapore. I'm finding out, though, no matter what curriculum I go with there might be gaps. I found some used A Beka Math 3 that we're going to finish this year out with. If we like it, I guess I will stick with it. Otherwise, I may have my daughter take placement tests for Singapore. Hope you enjoy our Spring like weather coming up next week! :D

Robin
Robin
married for 22 years
dd 10 PHFHG /DITHOR 4/5

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi Robin! The ladies gave such good advice here already. I agree that R & S English 3 would be a good fit, and you can just do a lesson each day. For math, you can use whatever math you would like. We do use HOD's math recommendation of Singapore and have been very pleased. If you go that route, here is a link to Singapore math's free placement test...
http://www.singaporemath.com

However, any math will work, so do what you like best. :D The Girl Interest Storytime read alouds are read by you and will be such fun I am sure (I have all boys, so I'm just dreaming a little here :lol: ). For DITHOR, I'd begin with Level 2/3 and use one of these sets...
Level 3 (reading levels 3.5 to 5.1):
http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional3.php

Or, Level 4/5 Girl Interest (reading levels 4.0 to 5.6)...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/DITHOR45-girls-pack.php

The number of pages dd would be reading would increase in Level 4/5, when compared to Level 3, so that is something to consider as well.

I think you will LOVE BHFHG! Your dd is sure to enjoy it. It was a terrific way to learn about American history, and I felt like BHFHG just helped me be a great teacher in so many ways - enjoy! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Robin Ruth

Post by Robin Ruth » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks Julie! :D
Robin