??? RE:Extention & Deluxe Pkg. With Preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Homeschooling6

??? RE:Extention & Deluxe Pkg. With Preparing

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:11 pm

If I use Preparing with a 5th grader who is behind in reading. His reading level is about 3rd grade I think. He can read "The Box Car" series. Maybe every other page he needs help with a word.

My question is will I still need to purchase the extension package?

The Self Study Deluxe package; is that reading on top of his DITHOR reading?

My dd who is a great reader and using R&S Reading 3 right now. Would she still use the Self Study Deluxe readers too?

Would appreciate any help :D I'm still trying to decide if we should use Preparing or MFW CtG. Since I plan to use "Learning the Basics" in Preparing I'm trying to figure if I should just use the rest of it too :?
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon May 12, 2008 1:18 pm

I actually don't think you need the extension package. It is in addition to DITHOR. Since he is struggling and the extension pack is focusing on more independent work, I think you have a few options open to you.

1. You can toss grade lvl out window.. and do both of your children together in Preparing. Don't buy the extension pack just do the basics.

2. Or you coould do the grade 5 stuff just not independently with you reading his higher lvl stuff to him... But with the looks of your house I would simplify :)
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Mon May 12, 2008 5:37 pm

So if Annette is using R&S Reading would I still purchase the "Self Study Deluxe Reader Package"?

Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

tawbur

Post by tawbur » Mon May 12, 2008 7:07 pm

I agree with Tansy, and wouldn't buy the extension package for a struggling reader. But the deluxe self-study package looks to be real close to his reading level, so I think it'd depend on whether or not you think he'd need some extra independent work.

I definitely would go with Preparing over MFW's CtG. Your son would be at the lower end of the scale for CtG, which could make it tougher. But he'd be at the upper end for Preparing, which has the advantage of giving him a feeling of success, especially when he has enough trouble with his reading. Carrie has explained to me that she finds it easier to teach to the youngest and add-in for the oldest, rather than teach to the oldest and have to condense everything for the youngest.

Preparing is an overview of world history in one year, if I understand it correctly, which I think is great for this age, and the books Carrie has chosen include Biblical history so you get a well balanced overview, from what I can tell. It looks to have a very Biblical focus throughout. I looked at MFW for 3 years, and planned to go with it for Adv, but then I found HOD and it has much more Biblical integration. Plus, I always liked the books MFW chose, but HOD's are even better. I have the Aesop's book that MFW has, but the one that comes with Preparing is so much more appealing that I ordered it at the bookfair, because I just liked it that much more.

Just my 2 cents. HTH :)
Teresa

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Thu May 15, 2008 1:52 pm

Thank you :D
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 15, 2008 3:38 pm

Homeschooling6,

The ladies did a great job of helping you already. I'll just chime in to say that I agree that you wouldn't need the Extension Pack for use with a struggling reader. The reading level would only frustrate him. :wink:

You could use the Deluxe Package for both your son and daughter to read for independent history study (in addition to the history read-alouds you'd be doing). You can do without those also if you wish to skip that box in the plans. :D

If your daughter is using Rod and Staff 3 for reading, then you wouldn't need "Drawn into the Heart of Reading" for her. If, however, you meant she is using Rod and Staff 3 for English, then you would need DITHR. 8)

Blessings,
Carrie

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:37 pm

Carrie wrote:Homeschooling6,

The ladies did a great job of helping you already. I'll just chime in to say that I agree that you wouldn't need the Extension Pack for use with a struggling reader. The reading level would only frustrate him. :wink:

You could use the Deluxe Package for both your son and daughter to read for independent history study (in addition to the history read-alouds you'd be doing). You can do without those also if you wish to skip that box in the plans. :D

If your daughter is using Rod and Staff 3 for reading, then you wouldn't need "Drawn into the Heart of Reading" for her. If, however, you meant she is using Rod and Staff 3 for English, then you would need DITHR. 8)

Blessings,
Carrie
Would I purchase the Self Study Deluxe Reading package for Joshua than and this includes 9 Genres for DITHR? I guess I'm wondering if the Self-Study History Package is for the use of DITHR?

I do like the idea of using the Deluxe package for reading time together and if we can't fit it all in at least we have some great books :lol:
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 15, 2008 6:21 pm

Homeschooling6,

The books in the History Deluxe Package are not designed for use with DITHR. They are scheduled in the bottom box of the left side of the plans for Preparing.... under the Independent History Study category. :D

Books for DITHR can be chosen from our sample book ideas list, or from any books you have at home, or you may use our book packs for the level 2 or 3. So, the options for what to use with DITHR are endless. :wink:

You may want to start out with Preparing... and get a good schedule going and then add DITHR later. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Thu May 15, 2008 7:03 pm

I understand now :wink:

Thanks!
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH