Leap Day!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momtofive

Leap Day!

Post by momtofive » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:02 pm

I know Leap Day isn't exactly a holiday or anything, but it's special in the fact that it comes around only once every four years. I hadn't planned on doing anything out of the ordinary today, but this morning we were greeted with 13" of fresh snow! :shock: So since my children heard that all the local schools were closing for the day, we decided that we should have a snow day too! :D We've had a pretty easy winter so far, so the big snow was greeted with much excitement at our house!

I guess I don't feel too bad that our snow day landed on our "extra" day! :wink:

Anyone doing something special on Leap Day?

momof4

Re: Leap Day!

Post by momof4 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Hope you are having a fun day.

No snow day here. We did start school '2 hours late' in order to shovel the sludge (snow, ice, water) off the driveway :D The kids were begging for a day off, but no go here. We want to be done early this year because we have a wedding this summer.
dd's 22, 17
ds 9 - Bigger
dd 5 - LHFHG

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:25 pm

Happy Leap Day, Lisa!!

Wow, you got a lot of snow!! We were supposed to get 6-12 inches, but it ended up being mostly rain. SO disappointing!! (What state are you in? We are in WI.)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:36 pm

Snow! What fun! We have temps of 65 here today!

I had my kids use their pizza hut book it coupons today for lunch as a fun treat. While we ate lunch we talked about why we have a day added to February every four years. :)
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:13 pm

I decided to start a new tradition that we will always take the day "off" on Leap Day. It only comes around once every four years, so I think that's doable! :D (We didn't have snow or anything, by the way, but we did get some much needed organizing and decluttering of the children's homeschooling shelves done!)
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Wow, thanks for the replies! It sounds like some of you made it a special day, too! :wink:

The kids ended up having a pretty nice day. It is actually still snowing! :shock: I don't think we'll get much more, though. The kids and I made homemade doughnuts and had a fun time of it. I'm glad I chose to do this. We don't often depart from our regular school schedule, as they seem to have so much fun with school! (Thanks, HOD! :wink: )

Happy Leap Day! :D

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:14 am

It was just another day here. We didn't even remember....
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:33 am

A friend of mine had a baby born yesterday! Just think, in 2016, this baby will technically only be 1 year old! :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

julieabird

Post by julieabird » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:35 pm

We celebrated my father's 18th birthday yesterday! He was born 2/29/40 - My children think it is cool that I have had more birthdays than he has! We had no snow though - it was in the low 80's here in the Fl Panhandle!
Julie R

ds 7 BLHFHG
dd 5 LHFHG

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Leap day was special in our house too :) I turned "8" yesterday! My oldest, 6, was able to appreciate the specialness of my birthday. We had school, but mostly had fun!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Many times, as we get older, we dread our birthdays. You all that have a birthday on the 29th can really have a lot of fun! You'll always be much younger than you really are! :wink:

Happy Birthday! :D