Sneak Peek #8: New Guide Missions to Modern Marvels

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Sneak Peek #8: New Guide Missions to Modern Marvels

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:53 pm

Ladies,

Just in case you missed it, on the tail end of another thread, I posted the following sneak peek: :D

We are going to be including the book Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? and Common Sense Business for Kids in MTMM. Students will read one chapter each week from these economics-related resources and write a one-sentence or one line economic principle that they gained from the reading in their Student Notebook each week. These books do a great job of getting kiddos to begin thinking about economics, and this type of thinking pairs so well with the study of history from 1880 (or so) forward to present day. :D

While this is only the beginning of an economics study, it would be a good time for high school students planning to use MTMM to add more to the study for high school credit in economics. This could be done by adding the Bluestocking Guide to Economics and the books that go with it. Hazelett's Economics in One Lesson is another good, short book to consider. Another excellent economics course to consider adding would be R.C. Sproul Jr's Biblical Economics. Another painless way to add to the Economics would be to do Notgrass Economics. Our own oldest son is doing that his junior year. One last economics option would be materials from Financial Peace University,however this falls more under the "Finance" heading for credit (so it would only work if your state allows a choice of doing Economics OR Finance). So, there are several ways you could go about adding enough for .5 of an economics credit for high school students doing MTMM (as the base will already be scheduled in the guide as a springboard). :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Heather4Him

Re: Sneak Peek #8: New Guide Missions to Modern Marvels

Post by Heather4Him » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:51 pm

Sounds wonderful, Carrie! I love how you always choose books and resources I've always wanted to use (like the "Penny Candy" book), but wasn't sure how to incorporate. HOD is such a blessing!! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:35 pm

I am sooo excited! I have looked at those books many times thinking OH we when we get older! Thanks Carrie for selecting everything I want to use :wink: Did I mention I am sooo excited! Thanks for the peek!
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:36 pm

My older boys used the Penny Candy book for part of their economics credit. It is the only part of their economics course that I was keeping for the younger children. I am going to be looking over the rest of your suggestions as Elaine will be using one of the options for the 2013 school year. ETA: They also read and enjoyed the financial peace book. They did that for fun. (Yes, I still put it toward their credit.)
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:49 am

Excellent! Thank you!! Now, we'll have gov covered with your beef up suggestions in Rev to Rev and economics covered in this guide. Thank you for making it so painless! :)
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:21 am

Once again HOD has read our minds. Dh and I are both determined to put economic training into our boys education and now HOD is doing it for us. Sounds great!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

birchbark

Post by birchbark » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:20 am

Heather4Him wrote:Sounds wonderful, Carrie! I love how you always choose books and resources I've always wanted to use (like the "Penny Candy" book)
Yes!!
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:34 am

Wonderful! I love that you are covering all the things we really need to in ways we never seem to get to actually doing on our own. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Molly

Post by Molly » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:27 pm

water2wine wrote:Wonderful! I love that you are covering all the things we really need to in ways we never seem to get to actually doing on our own. :D
This is so true. I am only three weeks into Preparing but I can see how future being filled with such wonderful learning materials, that my children are going to have the most blessed education. I too, have looked at the Penny Candy book for the future, as well as many of the resources used in earlier guides, and thought how great it would be to use them, and now I know I will be, but I won't be struggling to put it all together but will be enjoying them all alongside my children.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Ladies,

I'm so glad that you are excited about the economics resources in our new guide. :D We're excited about them too.

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:13 pm

I AM excited about this! :D I think it is incredibly important to teach my dc about economics. This is a topic the world itself seems confused about! I want our sons to have a good grasp of economics, so they can apply what they have learned in their future careers and even in providing for their future families. This is so timely - thanks for including it in MTMM! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie