Reading Lesson and CD usage

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MeadowWay

Reading Lesson and CD usage

Post by MeadowWay » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:24 am

Greetings

How are y'all using the RL? According to the author's , they suggest using the CD first and book after.
I would be interested in hearing how others use it and why they prefer it that way...
thank you
KK

my3sons

Re: Reading Lesson and CD usage

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:33 pm

I am wondering if this link may help? I think ladies use it in different ways...

The Reading Lesson CD:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9276

HTH! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:37 pm

I used it exactly the opposite way. I guess I did not read the directions. :D But it worked great for us. I used it as a reward for finishing the lesson. It was great reinforcement. We used it three times that way and it worked great for us. I am sure it would work the other way as well but it just seemed more logical to me to use it the other way. We did really like the CD so however you use it I think it is a valuable addition to the program. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:09 pm

I honestly think you could do it either way. :D Right now, we happen to be using it as a pre-cursor to the lesson with my little guy, however if you use it before the lesson at times you will run into things on the CD that you have not covered yet (because you haven't done the lesson yet). If you plan to use the CD prior to the lesson, then you'll definitely need to sit with your child while doing the CD, or he/she will hit some things he/she doesn't know. :D If you use it after the lesson, your little honey could work through the CD more independently. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Larica

Post by Larica » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:18 pm

We just recently finished TRL and used the CD after the lessons. It worked well and my dd is reading so well! I just wanted to share one thing to be aware of. The book is very clear about how to pronounce each sound, making sure not to add any extra sounds in, but sometimes the CD pronounces it incorrectly. For example, the "l" sound is pronounced "luh" on the CD, instead of "llllll." There are others like this, where an "uh" sound is tacked on the end and it shouldn't be. It didn't confuse my daughter at all, but it bothered me and it could confuse a child who has a harder time with phonics. That said, I do plan to use it again when my younger children are ready. I just thought I'd share in case it helps someone else!

Erica :D
Erica
mom to 5, ages 7 to 15
Enjoyed LHTH to WH so far!

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:38 pm

The first couple of days we used it how the author recommended cd first. Then for some reason we started doing it the other way with cd after reading with the book. I personally like doing it after b/c then it is more of a review and I can use the cd as a filler when I am working with other children.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science