Teach 100 Easy Lessons vs The Reading Lesson

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

Teach 100 Easy Lessons vs The Reading Lesson

Post by Gwenny » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:36 am

Has anyone used both? Favorite?
I've used 100 EL for 6 kids now, but have 2 to go and am wondering about changing it up. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

MelInKansas

Re: Teach 100 Easy Lessons vs The Reading Lesson

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:25 pm

I used 100 EZ lessons with my oldest. With my 2nd, I started her a little bit earlier so this may be the problem, but 100 EZ lessons caused tears and frustration, and it moves too quickly for her, she's just not quite ready for how quickly it ramps up. She has gotten through 50 lessons of it, and part of me felt like I should just keep going, but because of her emotional issues and also because of other things I had read on here I went ahead and bought the Reading Lesson.

So having now used the Reading Lesson for 3 weeks, and having used 100 EZ Lessons 1 1/2 times, I do like the Reading Lesson better. It is slower, but it is in fact more thorough and there is more practice with different rules. Now, an older child or a child who is really sharp and picks it up quickly might really like 100 EZ lessons better because it doesn't spend a lot of time in the repetitious/practice parts and spends most of its time in the stories. That is one of the differences. The Reading Lesson has stories at the end of each lesson but there is a LOT of practice before they get to those (I started my DD out in lesson 6 out of 20 in TRL - not that she's not capable of going later in the book, but TRL does things in a different order so lesson 6 was the first one with phonics rules that she hadn't done yet).

The method of using both books is extremely similar. You sit down, open it up, and read what's on the page (no parent guide as to what to say to them, but I have to say once we knew what to do in 100 EZ lessons I didn't read the parent stuff anyway). "Graphics" or images in TRL a little bit less interesting, but not too bad really, again because you're only reading a few stories compared to the amount of practice with phonemes, words, and phrases, fewer pictures.

Overall, I guess if 100 EZ Lessons works for you and has worked, it seems to me like a very good book and method. But it wasn't working for us so I'm glad we found the Reading Lesson.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:07 pm

I think these threads may help with thoughts about TRL...

TRL Comments:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9993&p=72922#p72922
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5541

The Reading Lesson CD:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9276

Carrie compares The Reading Lesson and Reading Made Easy
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2503

HTH as you decide what you want to do for phonics! :D HOD makes it easy to do whatever phonics program you feel fits your dc best!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:40 pm

I tired to use 100 Easy Lessons a few times and it just was hard to get through for us. The Reading lesson on the other hand worked pretty effortlessly. I highly recommend you give The Reading Lesson a chance. It is a really great program and it works so well.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

birchbark

Post by birchbark » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 pm

I'm a happy 100EZ user but if I wanted to change things up I'd definitely go to The Reading Lesson. :D
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks everyone. I looked through the links Julie posted. (I'm glad for those who find those links, I can't find things like that). In one of them, Carrie says that the phonics is more complete in The Reading Lesson but isn't in the 100 EZ. I didn't realize that. I knew that 100 EZ was not complete and I was surprised that Carrie didn't recommend any further phonics work with her 2 choices. I just assumed that TRL was the same as 100 EZ and didn't "complete" phonics.

Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG