Talk me into Bigger Science!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
everydaycelebrations

Talk me into Bigger Science!

Post by everydaycelebrations » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 pm

New to HOD! I have been lurking on the boards for a couple of months. I just ordered Bigger Hearts for my youngest to use next school year. I didn't order the science books (yet) and I need to be talked into it. Please tell me why I will love it! I will get my HOD package tomorrow so I will have a chance to look over the lesson plans for science. Of course, you won't see me on the boards because I will have my head stuck in the Bigger book once it arrives! :D I am glad my mail delivery person is a friend, otherwise it might be strange I am waiting for her at the mailbox! Yes, I am excited!! :wink:

frankesense

Re: Talk me into Bigger Science!

Post by frankesense » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:20 pm

We're just finishing up the last unit in Bigger. The biggest reason I really liked the science is that it tied in very nicely to what we were learning in history. For example, when we were learning about Christopher Columbus and other explorers who were traveling the oceans in history, we learned about seashores in science. When we were learning about the people who were settling the original colonies in history, we were learning about what scientific discoveries were being made at the same time and how if effected the colonist. When we were learning about pioneers beginning to make the journey west in history, we were learning in science about a family that were pioneers and what life was like for them. I also liked the notebooking pages and experiments written into the science lessons. It really got my kids thinking deeper into the subjects we were learning about; making guesses on what they think will happen, describing and drawing the procedure of our experiment, and coming up with a conclusion (Was my guess right or not right? Why? What did I learn from this experiment?) My kids really enjoyed the books that we used too. When we were reading John Audobon, my kids became so excited about birds. They began to start looking up birds that were mentioned in the book on the internet so we could picture them as John was drawing them. They began to want to know what kinds of birds visited out backyard, so we researched that. The Bigger science has inspired my kids to learn and discover even more on their own!

Stephanie
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

Tracee

Post by Tracee » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Oh Wow! I can't wait!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:19 pm

We just received most of our Bigger books today! I did order Science. It looks great! Sorry, I can't say anymore than that. :)

Thanks for the rundown, Stephanie. After looking at the guide a little bit, and reading your post, I am so excited about starting Bigger. :D But we're only in Unit 19 of Beyond, so we need to wait until fall. That's okay. We're enjoying Beyond! That's great, too! Not going to rush through it. :D But, having Bigger gets me settled for a long while. :D Really, I just wanted to get it now, while we have income tax and I'm not going to convention this year. So, I shopped early. :wink:
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

everydaycelebrations

Post by everydaycelebrations » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks Stephanie! After looking at the lesson plans and hearing what you had to say, I think I am talked into it. Can't wait to order the books! Thanks for talking me into it!

Wendi in MD

Post by Wendi in MD » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:14 pm

We love Bigger's science. Before using HOD I was never able to cover both history and science every week...but Carrie did a wonderful job planning Bigger's science program. The time required to complete it is perfect...since beginning Bigger in the fall we have checked both history and science off every single week!
Wendi in Maryland
Wife to Scott
Mama to Ryan {2002}, Abby {2004}, and Caleb {2006}

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:15 pm

My ds has loved all of the books used for Bigger Science so far. We are on unit 25 right now.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

tjneary99

Post by tjneary99 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Agreed! We are halfway through Bigger and have loved the science--the experiments, projects, notebooking..it does all tie in with the history nicely. I love that there are Bible verses with the lessons for the notebooking and the science experiments are easy to do, encourage comprehension, inspire my kids to think, and are fun. It takes the right amount of time and gives the kids a great overview of science topics while working on various skills: copying, looking up Bible verses, cognitive skills, writing skills etc..We loved John Audubon. The kids could not wait to read the book together and learn more about birds. They did a lot of extra drawing on their own and read library books on the topics too or watched videos about sea creatures. The science has inspired them to learn more while not overdoing it and causing them 'fatigue' and they have retained what they have learned. Before HOD, science was drudgery for all of us--too overdone, not retained, too hard on mom to implement. Bigger science is mom friendly, kid appropriate and fun in my opinion.
"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Colossians 3:17[/color]