YE creationaism in Bigger and Preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
leeannpal

YE creationaism in Bigger and Preparing

Post by leeannpal » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:44 pm

I was wondering if the YE creationist view is a large part of each of these programs or only covered briefly? We aren't YE or really OE for that matter as we believe God exists apart from human time and is not limited by time. We are fine with the YE view, but I want to be able to anticipate any questions my daughter may have.

Overall, I just love the wonderful way this program literally points out that "All truth is God's truth." Thank you, Carrie and Julie for providing a program that is not light on academics but puts Christ at the center of a child's life.
Lee Ann

Mom2Monkeys

Re: YE creationaism in Bigger and Preparing

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:40 pm

I'd say HOD teaches the truth of the Bible that God has always been and always will be with no beginning and no end, unrestrained by human concepts of time...and the YE view that time began for us and was created by God along with and at creation. It teaches that creation was the beginning of time and that the bible is a literal story of creation. It does make notes that if you are not of the YE beleif, then you may omit YE date (4400bc) for creation on the time line or omit or read and discuss certain readings bc of a young earth view. Of course this is how I'm interpreting it based on my own worldview that God isn't bound by time and has always been there and always will be, since before time and creation and until forever...and that he literally created all creation and our worldly order and inner workings that came with it, such as time, in 6 -24hr days, about 6000 years ago. I see creation as the beinning of time, but not something that God is biund by as He is the creator and limitless and timeless, and since he noted creating day and night with the rising of the sun and moon, I see that as his creation of time. Perhaps someone else believing differently will have interpreted the same material I've read in HOD differently. :)

(phone typing this reply so beware of autocorrect and lack of clarity since it's hard to proofread for errors and check for repetitiveness in my train of thought on this tiny screen!)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:19 pm

It is young earth in that it teaches that time began when creation happened in a literal 7 days, and that all of time was counted from the point of creation. I believe it fully supports God being outside of time.

We've already had awesome discussions on how different people have different views on how old the earth is, why they believe that way, and the fact that all that REALLY matters is that they believe God did it intentionally. (We are not YE, and DH and I both have different views OE style)

leeannpal

Post by leeannpal » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks,

I asked this question because I was looking through the dinosaur book online in Preparing and couldn't really tell much from the few pages I could see. Really, I am not trying to start any sort of debate on YE or OE. Are there other topics that are ff limits that I should know about?
Lee Ann

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:02 pm

I'm sorry... I don't know? We are only in the first day of Unit 3 of preparing. I just don't know. In Bigger the only thing might possibly be in science, but I don't really remember anything. In Beyond and LHFHG Science there are things about literal days in creation and I just skip those words. Because my personal belief is that creation took 7 God days, and then we don't know how long they were in the Garden before the fall... Just the basic looking forward I've done in Preparing doesn't seem like I'll have much of an issue considering that I believe that time since the fall happened fairly close to recorded history (like, within a century or so, maybe)... I've told DH to look over it and see how it fits with what he believes because I really don't have a grasp of what he does believe, so that I can teach that point of view as well, but I seriously doubt he ever will.

krains

Post by krains » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:43 pm

I am a newer Christian, and my parents weren't Christians either. What is YE and OE? :oops:

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:50 am

krains wrote:I am a newer Christian, and my parents weren't Christians either. What is YE and OE? :oops:
Young Earth (World was created in six literal days and age can be calculated according to biblical history - thousands of years old).

Old Earth (World is millions/billions of years old).

I'm sure someone else can give better explanations, but hopefully that gives you a basic idea:)
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:07 am

I remember seeing in some of the manuals something written like, If you are not of the YE persusasion, you may want to skip this or that or that you could use it for discussion.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:59 am

John'smom wrote:I remember seeing in some of the manuals something written like, If you are not of the YE persusasion, you may want to skip this or that or that you could use it for discussion.
I specifically remember seeing that in the Preparing guide, so it does seem that Carrie wrote the Teacher's Guides with that in mind...
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."