Grass is Greener Syndrome...help?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mama247

Grass is Greener Syndrome...help?

Post by mama247 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:23 am

Hi Ladies,

How do some of you avoid the "grass is greener" syndrome? I go through phases where I feel very confident in our schooling choices and feel we are on a good course. And then, I will talk to other homeschooling moms and hear about what they are doing for schooling and I start to wonder if maybe I should switch things up.

We have used HOD for two years and we are happy. I am fairly new to homeschooling so maybe that's part of the feelings of uncertainty. I know HOD is very well written and covers all of the important academics. We enjoy the book selections and the CM methods used throughout.

So I guess it's my own confidence, not in the curriculum necessarily.

Any "seasoned" mothers out there care to share tidbits on how you stay the course with confidence and not really worry about what others are doing?

I appreciate any helpful words of wisdom! :)

andreamichele13

Re: Grass is Greener Syndrome...help?

Post by andreamichele13 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:37 am

How poignant and appropriate for how many of us probably feel!!!! I have no words of wisdom, however, b/c I'm new to homeschooling too!!!! :)
ds, age 14
ds, age 8
dd, age 6
one on the way in September 2014!

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:47 am

I would say it is probably because you are newer to homeschooling. Have you only ever used HOD?

I have been homeschooling 5 years and this is our 2nd year with HOD (which we love). I no longer have that Grass is greener because I have used other things. Now I wish I'd always been with HOD, but I didn't know about it. It's everything I want without the planning. I know how much easier HOD has made my day. Even earlier in the year when ds was having problems with R & S English, I had to make up my mind to continue on. You can read about the update in the hyperlink.

I had plenty of years planning, stressing, missing out on activities with my family because I had to print this or cut that or put a hold on this at the library. I've read forums enough to know that one month someone is exclaiming how wonderful this or that is and then the next month, it's not working for them. If you are not stressed, enjoying what you're doing, your kids are learning, etc., learn to be content. It'll save you time and $.

One thing you can do is not read forums and blogs. It's the human nature to an extent be envious or covetous (not saying you are :wink: ) and I think sometimes blogs incite that.

I'm sure someone else who is more eloquent can explain better.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

psreit

Post by psreit » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:22 pm

I've homeschooled 3 older children and was bouncing around a lot, especially with two of them. I have said different times that I wish we would have had HOD when I was schooling them. In the beginning with dd8, I did the same thing, even put her in Christian school for a while, because I just didn't know what would work. I wanted consistency. When she was partway through the year at school, I knew I needed to bring her back home. But, what was I going to use? I searched and searched for something......I wasn't sure WHAT I was looking for. I guess it was the Lord that led me to somehow come across HOD in my search online. To this day, I cannot tell you how I found it. But, when I saw it, immediately I knew HOD was it. We are in our second year with HOD, and I love it, although I can tell you that there have been times when I see something else, I will start 'wondering' or should I say 'wandering' :wink: I have looked at other things, but I always come back to HOD. Just earlier today, I was talking to a close friend, who is having a hard time settling down with curriculum. I haven't convinced her of HOD....yet. :) I need to confess, I had been talking to her recently about maybe doing something a little different for science next year. :oops: But even in the midst of it, I was still unsettled. I looked everything over just this morning and it happened again. Somehow, I just knew that I needed to forget looking at other books and do HOD science along with everything else. That peace and feeling of relief came over me once again, just like it did 2 years ago when I found HOD. I'm sure there will be times my mind may start 'wandering' again, but I believe I have the strength to not give into that 'temptation'. :) Really, I love this feeling of stability! :D
Last edited by psreit on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

creekmama

Post by creekmama » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi! I think it's normal to wonder from time to time if you should make a change. It's probably a good thing. You don't want to be locked into something that isn't working for you and your child. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it! We are in our fourth year of homeschooling, our third with HOD. When I switched over to HOD, I promised myself that if we liked it, I wouldn't look at other curricula. There is so much out there, and a lot of it is really good. It would be so easy to spend a lot of time and energy looking and wondering and worrying over whether I'd made the right choice. So when I start to get into that frame of mind, I remind myself of all the things I love about HOD--great lit selection, flexibility, ease of use...I could go on and on! And that frees me to quit agonizing about it, open my curriculum guide, and enjoy teaching my kiddos!
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

andreamichele13

Post by andreamichele13 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:03 pm

I have to agree wholeheartedly with every lady on here!

Creekmama is so right!! You can drive yourself nuts, researching curricula over and over again. I did it again this year...I spent HOURS upon HOURS researching different things. It was ALL I did every single spare moment I had! I totally ignored what was going on with my family (a lot), and just immersed myself in new curriculum searches. I would lie awake at night even, thinking about it. When I finally found HOD, I just knew I had found the right one. And, I have convinced myself, as well, to stop looking every year! There's no sense in it, when this is right for us. And, it's not fair to my children to switch things up all the time! :) I think the "grass is greener" is pretty typical, but we have to keep reminding ourselves why we chose HOD....b/c it's amazing! I love it, and my kids love it!!!!!

Andrea
ds, age 14
ds, age 8
dd, age 6

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:19 pm

I was a ps teacher before deciding to stay home with my dc. So, I totally understand the desire to research new curricula and see what wonderful things that are out there. The truth of the matter is, there are wonderful materials and resources out there! The beauty of HOD is that Carrie has pulled together some of the very best and created a wonderfully seamless total curriculum. That is VERY hard to do. It takes a tremendous amount of work, and that is why I think many hs moms get stressed and worn out.

I love to put lessons together. It was my favorite aspect of teaching! I have put that creative energy into little add-ons to HOD. Now, please don't get me wrong. I don't think HOD needs anything more. I just wanted to add in a few more CM-like things to our experience. They aren't essential, and if we go through a busy time, they can be put aside for a while. I enjoy creating composer and artist studies, as well as nature studies. It fulfills my desire to create lessons, but doesn't require too much of me.

As you go along, you will more and more appreciate how HOD so easily allows you to provide a wonderfully satisfying and full educational experience for you dc.

Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

davisfam7

Post by davisfam7 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:02 pm

This topic is near and dear to my heart! As a recovering curriculum junkie :oops: , it is very hard to hear everyone talk about the great things they are using. I have learned a few great leasons. One mom's/family's perfect curriculum may NOT fit your family. This is where the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality comes in. We all struggle at times with teaching, just as our dear children struggle to learn at certain points. But before we throw out one curriculum and start another, we need to ask ourselves if we have given it a good try or if we are giving up to early and to easily. Another thing that has helped me tremendously, is that the homeschooling moms that I talk to have decided that we will not talk curriculum to eachother unless specifically asked. Or if a mom has questions about a particular subject, teaching method etc. Then we will freely and enthusiastically share. But we decided that we spent too much time talking curriculum anyway, and that inadvertently, we were casting doubt on our choices by constantly talking about other choices. Does that make any sense?? I have made a pact with myself that I will not get on the computer and surf the web for other curriculum either. This has made this school year the most enjoyable I have ever had!! My kids are doing well, and I am confident and content where I am. By taking away some of the temptations it has truly blessed me and my family. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth!!
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC
Have done Bigger, Preparing, RtR, Rev to Rev, MtMM, World Geo.

andreamichele13

Post by andreamichele13 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:18 pm

Sarah,

Awesome advice! I had a friend of mine jokingly tell her that I make her crazy b/c I am always talking about different curriculum! hahaha. She was kidding, but....I need to stop! haha.

Andrea
ds, age 14
ds, age 8
dd, age 6

mama247

Post by mama247 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:18 pm

Wow, you ladies have given some excellent advice! Thank you so much. I am thankful that we found HOD. There is definitely something to be said about not fixing what isn't "broken." We are enjoying our school year and having fun. Realizing that, yes, there are a lot of great curriculums out there, but we have to do what is best for our family and children. I'm realizing how important it is to stay the course and see each year builds upon the previous one.

So thanks again, ladies, for all of your encouraging words! What an amazing bunch here...

Blessings! :D

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:35 pm

I am a recovering curriculum junkie too. I just had to look at my DH and my mentor and commit to them that I wasn't going to look any more. And now I don't; it's very freeing not to be constantly "wondering if there's something I'm missing" or spending that needless time on the internet! My peace has returned, and so has the quality of life with my family! :)

I totally understand!!! :lol:
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

tjneary99

Post by tjneary99 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Oh this is a slippery slope for many of us I presume. I was there too last year! I prayed a lot about the best curriculum fit for our family after a tough year last year using something else. God led us to HOD, in His wonderful mercy and grace. We went from a well loved classical curriculum to this blessed CM curriculum, because we found that the other one focused more on knowledge and stuffing their brains with as many facts and vocab words as possible etc..and Bible was an add on rather than being interwoven. Since wisdom comes from the Lord, and we were made for His glory, then we decided we were off track. I felt that curriculum was not equipping them as God commands--with the foundation and focus being on Him and His perspective in all areas.The other curricula, though Christian, focused a lot on man's wisdom and accomplishments without God and not at all on one's personal growth and character--just all facts about history etc. with very little application. Again, it felt like an add on. We examined our hearts and decided on our goals and philosophy for training our children in the way they should go...their hearts and minds. Then we found HOD and read Carries 's philosophy which matched ours. Now, we press on and I purposely do not read forums etc that discuss those topics, because it easy to begin comparing. Our family is getting great academic knowledge in a way they and I enjoy, and Bible and character is interwoven throughout. We couldn't be happier. God has a unique plan and purpose for each one of us and so comparing ourselves or our children to others is heading the wrong way. I think if HOD is working for your family, then keep that in focus and ignore all else. Only God can truly lead each of us, so if we seek Him and He points us in a certain direction then that is the way to go.

Here is a bit of encouragement and blessing for us today:
Today, we went to a birthday party, and my 8 year old son made a homemade card for this little boy who was turning five. I did not know what he wrote until we were at the party. He wished him a happy birthday and hoped he would enjoy his gift and then he wrote "I hope you will grow up and praise God". I must say that I know our time in HOD has helped foster this thinking in him...my son has enjoyed lesson after lesson of great flawed people God has used for His glory in HOD and along with Bible and character study, my son is seeing that God's plan is about His glory being demonstrated through our lives as we let Him. What a blessing and precious gift. Praise the Lord--our lives were bought with a price and were made to bring Him glory, and I am so thankful for a curriculum that teaches this truth. HOD really enables my kids and I to learn and have fun doing it together as a team while teaching and training their hearts and minds for the Lord simultaneously, and it is so woven in the curriculum you don't always see it glaring at you...because it is the heart and soul of it. Our old curricula's goal was to fill minds with facts, but this one fills their heart and mind with things from God's perspective. In a man-focused world, I am so grateful for the Christ-centered approach. I am not saying there are not others out there, but I can attest to the many blessings God has poured out on our family through HOD. I pray He bless you dear sister, with what is best for your family. And yes as you look upon how each year builds, you can have confidence in a progression that is effective and excellent without exhausting your child or wasting their minds in useless things all while cultivating their heart's for the Lord.
"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Colossians 3:17[/color]

mama247

Post by mama247 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:54 pm

tjneary99 - Beautifully said! Thank you so much for replying with your testimony. I feel so encouraged to stay the course and rest in Him. I know the Lord has put HOD in our path for a reason. Blessings to you!

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:37 pm

tjneary99,

Thank you for sharing your beautiful post. It really touched my heart and was an answer to prayer (even though I'm not the original poster). I feel like the Lord has led me back to where he wants me to be! :D
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Matthew 14 (Down syndrome & Autism)
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Ladies,

What an amazing thread filled with Christ-centered counsel in an area in which we all struggle. :D We pray for the Lord to bring those to HOD who may be blessed by what we have to offer, and the Lord truly answers that prayer as He knows what each family needs. :D

Blessings,
Carrie