Grass is Greener Syndrome...help?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tree House Academy

Re: Grass is Greener Syndrome...help?

Post by Tree House Academy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:59 pm

I am a recovered Curriculum Junkie myself, so I know what you mean. However, after finding HOD and experiencing such happy, successful years with it, I just totally lost the desire to switch around. :) I hope this happens for you in time too!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:21 am

For some reason it's not letting me quote but I agree with psreit I do believe Satan is the author of discontentment and he does want us to feel inadequate in hsing our children to Christ. Definitely comparing to other and feeling we are coming up short or perhaps they are doing it better is one of his ways. That is a very good point. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

MeadowWay

Post by MeadowWay » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:03 am

A few years ago, I had a Christian naturopath tell me that his biggest clients are homeschool mom's. I asked him why he thought that was, and he replied, " because they are so stressed from wearing many hats" wife, mother, teacher, cook,and the list goes on... I then asked him what he thought might help them and he said, "keep their curr. simple" I don't think he had simple as in no content in mind. I believe he had something like HOD in mind. Everything right at our fingertips, not rote, not hundreds of pages of textbook per subject, not strain the brain for the sake of establishing a mindless education philosophy, etc etc etc.
We are people ,not machines that need to be filled, and our children's lives have been entrusted to us to lead them to living waters from our Heavenly Fathers' wells, that they would realise their need of drink and thirst for His waters. An acorn is a seed , yet to be an oak tree. What we are doing is in seed form. And as we wait for their growth, and find a treasure such as we have in HOD, we must go forth in faith as we plant and it is God who gives the increase.....
Blessings
KK

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:27 am

MeadowWay wrote:A few years ago, I had a Christian naturopath tell me that his biggest clients are homeschool mom's. I asked him why he thought that was, and he replied, " because they are so stressed from wearing many hats" wife, mother, teacher, cook,and the list goes on... I then asked him what he thought might help them and he said, "keep their curr. simple" I don't think he had simple as in no content in mind. I believe he had something like HOD in mind. Everything right at our fingertips, not rote, not hundreds of pages of textbook per subject, not strain the brain for the sake of establishing a mindless education philosophy, etc etc etc.
We are people ,not machines that need to be filled, and our children's lives have been entrusted to us to lead them to living waters from our Heavenly Fathers' wells, that they would realise their need of drink and thirst for His waters. An acorn is a seed , yet to be an oak tree. What we are doing is in seed form. And as we wait for their growth, and find a treasure such as we have in HOD, we must go forth in faith as we plant and it is God who gives the increase.....
Blessings
KK
I too see a certain "natural" doctor and she told me I was her only homeschool mom who was not on medication. :( I know I am so much happier and less stressed since we found HOD.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

mama247

Post by mama247 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:08 pm

I've really enjoyed reading all of the heartfelt responses to this thread! You've all been so encouraging.

We have had an excellent week this week in our lesson time. Last week wasn't so good as my mind was wandering and thinking too much on other curriculums and what this and that mom was doing for her children. I've given that over to God and I have such peace. I totally agree that the feelings of inadequacy or discontentment come from the enemy. He knows the "grass is greener" syndrome can get straight to the heart of a lot of us homeschooling moms! I'm not going to give in to that anymore. I feel a God-given peace and we are so enjoying our homeschooling year with HOD!

Thanks again, ladies, and God bless!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:37 pm

Oh! I'm so glad for the encouragement in this thread! :D It is truly a good reminder to all of us to rest in the Lord's peace rather than seeking the world's affirmation, which is often fleeting at best. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie