Question about Preparing's Deluxe Pkg & Extention Pkg

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Homeschooln2qts

Question about Preparing's Deluxe Pkg & Extention Pkg

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi ladies,
Please forgive me if this question has been clarified somewhere already. :oops: I've searched past posts, but haven't been able to find a clear answer. My ds (5th grade - turned 11 last Oct.) is doing Preparing w/ Extensions. Up until now, he has also been doing the Independent History Box using the Deluxe Package Books. Have we been doing that right? If a child his age is doing Extensions, should he also be doing the Independent History Box books or just the Extension books? I've been tempted to give up the Independent History Box b/c it has been more of a workload, but have been hesitant b/c of the copywork/narration in IHB that I assume is pretty valuable. Thanks in advance for any clarification :D
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

blessedmomof4

Re: Question about Preparing's Deluxe Pkg & Extention Pkg

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:35 pm

If Preparing as written with the deluxe books is enough for your child, I would be inclined to drop the extensions instead. Maybe just have him read the extension books on his own time, rather than trying to keep up the schedule or the follow-up activities?
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks, Lourdes :)
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:56 am

I'm just agreeing with Lourdes' wise advice here! The independent history box has many skills attached to it, and you are right, it's important to do. :D The extensions are wonderful too, but if you are needing to choose between the two, I'd have ds read the extensions independently on his own time, and not do the follow-up extension assignments. Or, if the reading of the extensions proves too much, I'd save them for later. My ds never does the extensions while we are doing the core program as he's on the young side of the guides, but he always reads them at some point down the road - they are excellent books. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:01 pm

Thanks, Julie! This is what we've been doing so far and will continue with it. I actually didn't even realize that there were "follow up" activities for the extension readings, so we never did them -LOL. Glad to know we were doing the right thing after all.
Miranda