Math help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mskogen

Math help

Post by mskogen » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:07 pm

I am looking for the recommendations for math if a student is switching to HOD in 6th grade. This is for a friend...Thanks
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

HappyMama

Re: Math help

Post by HappyMama » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:42 am

With HOD, you can use whatever math program you want. Carrie recommends Singapore, but you don't have to use Singapoe to use HOD. :) If your friend is wanting to switch to Singapore, there is a free placement test available on the Singapoe math website (www.singaporemath.com). I highly recommend taking the placement test before switching as Singapore is quite a bit different than other math programs. I'm wondering what math program your friend is currently using and if he/she is happy with it or not?

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:41 am

Thanks Sara. My friend is pulling her daughter out of ps. I use Singapore and love it. It is always my first recommendation. I just know it can be difficult to switch at higher levels.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:02 am

Oh, I didn't realize this child was coming out of ps! Yes, I really like Singapoe too, it's so great for conceptual understanding. :) Just have her daughter take the placement test and see where she places and go from there. :)