Placement for DS7 and DS10

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
waterandclay

Placement for DS7 and DS10

Post by waterandclay » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:02 am

Hi there :)

I'm new to the boards and HOD. I'm so excited to have found HOD, and to begin in the Fall. I've found so much helpful info here already. While I "think" I know where to place my kiddos, I'd love to be sure I'm making the right decision. I've been homeschooling my younger ds6 for 1st this year. My older ds9 (3rd) is in PS, but I'm bringing him home after Spring break. They will be 7, and 10 in the fall. My oldest is in the gifted program in school, and is a terrific reader. He is behind in math a little, so I've been working through SM 2a, and will get through 2b by year's end. He loves to learn, and independently reads a ton without me prompting him.

My youngest is also a great reader (has been reading since he was 4, though I did not set out to have him reading that early.) He doesn't read chapter books on his own without prompting, but enjoys reading his Action Bible, Tin Tin, Science type books, etc. We have approached this year more classically. I've always loved CM, but hadn't really heard that HOD approached learning this way until recently. More importantly, I love that it is Christ centered :) He will have gone through FLL1-GWG, SM1a and 1b, WWE1, HWT, SOTW1, AAS 1 and 2 and working through BSGFAA by year's end.

So, my question is what level of HOD? My thoughts are that I would love to place them both in Bigger with Extensions for DS10. Beyond seems a bit behind for my younger, but maybe I'm looking at it incorrectly? After asking my older about history, it doesn't appear that American history was covered fully. I do know we shouldn't pick on history preference, but it would be so nice to introduce it with all those fabulous books! Moreover, I'm thinking grammar wasn't covered much for my older so far. I would say my younger would be at level grammar wise in Bigger. I do hear that Bigger has a lot more writing than Beyond, but is it more than what I'm already doing? Is the writing copywork in Bigger, or is it more independent type writing? He can handle copywork, but we're still of course working on spelling (though he's getting pretty great at it.) I've picked up some of the emerging readers, and think DS6 would be at level 2 books by Fall.

I've read that it is good to start at level 2/3 for DITHOR workbooks no matter what. Is that correct?

Wow, I have a lot of questions obviously. Thank you for your patience with me, taking the time to read this, and for any help you may offer :)

mom23

Re: Placement for DS7 and DS10

Post by mom23 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:03 pm

Not to confuse you (and hopefully someone with more experience will chime in to help you as well), but I think I'd lean more toward Beyond for your younger child. The writing in Bigger is more independent, while Beyond is copywork. When my dd went through Beyond in 3rd grade, we added in some of the things from Bigger to beef it up a little for her-we substituted a higher level Math, and started the Grammar from Bigger, and she also learned cursive that year from the books usually associated with Bigger. We also began some DITHOR with her that year-although we're finishing up level 2/3 now with Bigger-but you could look at that after you finish up the emerging readers series. You'll find when you get a manual that these things are laid out on the Right Side of the page, while history, Bible, Poetry, Science (in Beyond) are on the Left Side of the plans. It's easy to refer to the Right Side of the upper manual if you need to (especially for Math activities), but usually I just looked at the Left side of the plans for Beyond, and then we did the next lesson in Grammar, Math, Reading, Handwriting. If you're going to be fairly new to the CM approach, as we were, Beyond is a great introduction with learning to listen well to short lessons, and the types of questions they will eventually learn to be thinking of to narrate things. Although I used Beyond with a 3rd grader, I've thought Beyond was a very solid 2nd grade type of year.

I'd be a little hesitant to place them together in the same level. If they truly are at the same level that would be perfect, but-speaking from experience here, after learning this the hard way :)-it's truly easiest to place each child correctly, rather than trying to make them fit at the same place if they don't. I found myself constantly trying to water down things for my younger child, and beef them up for my older child...neither one of them were getting everything out the guide. My younger child was constantly frustrated (and frustrating!) because he wasn't placed right. My older child was held back because I was trying to bring her younger brother along. When we separated them they both began to thrive and learn much more effectively! Is it possible your older fits in Preparing, if you look at the placement chart considering only his level??
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Thank you for taking the time to write all that :) I have looked at the placement chart. I had considered Preparing for my oldest, but his Grammar instruction and lack of Cursive instruction place him in Bigger, but I could work on those things in addition to what Preparing offers of course. I thought adding the extensions to Bigger would help, but would Preparing be more ideal? My younger is doing dictation sentences out of AAS 2, and is writing comic plots with sentences. Is the writing in Bigger one or 2 sentences, or is it more than that? He could handle short sentences, but I haven't pushed him farther than that. He has expressed interest in learning cursive as well. He has breezed through the first 4 Emerging reader books. It's tricky this placement thing huh?

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:49 pm

I do think Bigger with extensions for the older child would work well with what you have shared. And yes, I do think the 2/3 DITHOR would be a good pick for the older son. Your younger son will not need it until he has finished the emerging readers.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Thank you! I was thinking he would fit nicely in Bigger. I would push him and do Preparing, but this will be his first homeschool year, so I want him to also enjoy it. Do you feel my younger would be better in Beyond as the previous poster? I want to like it for him, but it feels from the examples to be slightly too easy. I am of course totally inexperienced with this curriculum, and want to do what is best for both kiddos. They all look so great :) I want to do the right thing so it works.

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Based on what you shared and your children's ages in the fall (7 and 10), and being that they are both good readers, I think your plan to combine them in Bigger with extensions for the older sounds perfect. The extensions are scheduled in the appendix along with suggestions for follow-up activities, such as brief written summaries. The younger could work through the emerging readers which are scheduled in Bigger, and the older can use the DITHOR 2/3 workbook along with books that are at his reading ability. Bigger will provide the opportunity for your younger to work on spelling by way of the spelling list in the appendix and the activities in the daily lessons, and your older could use the dictation. Both your children will get great practice in oral narration and notebooking, and writing up a science lab sheet after performing experiments. Of course each would continue math at his own pace-Bigger has hands-on lessons for singapore 2a/2b workbooks in the daily lessonplans, and a daily schedule for using the 3a/3b textbooks and workbooks in the appendix of the guide. Rod and Staff can be done mostly orally, and if the level 2 is too simple for your older, simply get level 3 for him (along with the teacher guide in that case) and do a lesson a day for him. I think they would be in for a great year :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:00 pm

I agree with Lourdes. I think from what you've shared of what you are doing with your younger son and where your older son is at, Bigger would be a good place to start. The writing in Bigger isn't really that much about creating sentences or paragraphs. It's more using writing in things like vocabulary, science notebook pages, and history notebook pages. It does require copying several sentences at a time, sometimes a paragraph. For my dc (who were 8 at the time), the physical part of the writing is what was difficult for them at first. We eased into it though and they grew into it well. It was a wonderful year for us full of learning great Biblical character traits, American history, and just having lots of fun. Though your older son could probably do Preparing, I'm sure he will enjoy Bigger and I think your idea of having it be more on the relaxed side for him his first year home is a good one. We had a wonderful time with Bigger, I pray you do too! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:56 am

Part of me would love to challenge my older in Preparing, but I do think it will be nice for us to be learning together. Bigger seems right, so hopefully that will be a good choice. I would do 2 guides, but then I keep reading about people feeling overwhelmed doing more than one. Most often those are folks with more than 2 kids though I suppose. I'm very thankful for all of your help and insight :)

Oh a throw in question: Why does Beyond not include Handwriting? Little has handwriting, Beyond none, and then Bigger level D in GD?

tjneary99

Post by tjneary99 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:00 am

HI,
Part of the beauty of HOD is the flexibility to tailor things to fit your children's needs. My two oldest are in Bigger and love it. My DD10, grade 4, was also in the gifted program like yours and she does very well in Bigger with extensions. Preparing adds written narrations and so I have just begun those with my DD, because she is ready for them. I think DITHOR 2/3 sounds right for your kids also. If you feel one child needs more writing, then you can add it--in DITHOR you can require more sentence or paragraph forms over short answers where possible and some written narrations from time to time--a few sentences or more as needed--or not. It is up to you. My DS8, grade 3, does Bigger with some extensions and it is a great fit for him. I think Bigger has copywork, short answer, and only sentence writing(if you require it) mostly. As the year progresses, you can adjust written requirements as needed, but I think the content of Bigger is doable for your two from what you have described. I believe my son could have done it last year and he doesn't love to read(though he can read well) and is a fairly good writer--much like yours. Cursive is scheduled in Bigger which will help with that. We filled up our cursive book and so I just had my son copy the poems, Bible verses etc..in cursive for about ten minutes a day. Now he is ready for all cursive, whereas, my DD10 just switched over mid way through 4th. Also, the language of the Eggleston books was an adjustment for us since we were not used to CM, but we do love the books very much, and my kids comprehend it well. The kids LOVE the DITHOR choices too---just wonderful. Most importantly, HOD is centered on Christ! We are having a wonderful year.
"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Colossians 3:17[/color]

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:05 am

That sounds lovely :) Thank you so much for sharing your perspective. It does help a lot. I'm really looking forward to starting a more Christ centered curriculum. We are doing Bible study now, but it isn't as integrated. I am especially looking forward to teaching my kids to love reading even more with all those wonderful books. So excited! It's good to know your 4th grader is happy in Bigger. Thank you so much!

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:49 am

Beyond has handwriting practice by way of copywork, which assumes that the child would have already been through a manuscript writing program to learn letter formation (such as is included in the previous guide, Little Hearts). Bigger introduces cursive by way of a cursive program, and the next guides up suggest children should do their written narrations in cursive. I think by RtR the child is expected to write neatly in their choice of manuscript or cursive :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:08 pm

waterandclay,

The ladies have done a terrific job of helping you talk through your options. :D I think you have a good plan in place. I'll just share a couple of thoughts for you to ponder. :D You may wish to have your 10 year old do English 3, rather than English 2. Even if he hasn't had much in the way of formal grammar, English 3 should give him enough of a lead-in to learn what is needed. You would simply do a lesson a day. As far as your 7 year old goes, you could just use English 2 as scheduled in Bigger. :D English 3 linked here: http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into ... php#wisely

As far as DITHR goes, while you could place your older child in Level 2/3, from what you shared I would consider placing your 10 year old in Level 4/5 instead. I am thinking that he has already had some formal literature instruction at school, is able to work somewhat independently, and is used to doing some written work, so then I would lean toward having him doing Level 4/5. You'll also want to pick the book set that fits his reading level best. Any book set can be used with any level of DITHR. :D Here's a link to the Level 4/5 and 5/6 Book Packs:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional4-5.php
http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional5-6.php

DITHR will focus on slower, more thoughtful reading as kids dig deeply into their books. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Carrie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my post :) I was thinking the book packs at level 4/5 seemed appropriate for his level. I'm so glad you suggested that, because I wouldn't have been sure if I should start there. He is a very strong reader, and pretty great writer too. Thank you for the suggestion on where to place him in English 3. I really appreciate your input, as I have all the input of the other ladies as well. I'm going to place my order really soon. I can't wait to start planning!