Just started and feeling a little overwhelmed!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
NicoleJ

Just started and feeling a little overwhelmed!

Post by NicoleJ » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:12 am

Hello. I just started Preparing, Beyond and LHTH with a 9, 6 and 4 today. :) I know I will LOVE the programs.... but, it sure is a little frustrating and overwhelming when you are schooling three at three different levels. Oh my... :shock: I hope I survive this year!

Molly

Re: Just started and feeling a little overwhelmed!

Post by Molly » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:43 am

One thing I would highly recommend is making a schedule and telling the children what you expect when you are working with someone else. It still takes time to adjust, but it will make it easier. Even if you remind them every morning about what is going to happen. Possibly another thing you could do is just focus on getting one guide started and then in another week or two add another and then another week or two add the last one. Might make it a little easier anyway.

Sorry, forgot to say that I will be praying for you.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:34 am

Thanks Michelle! *waves from across the ocean to you* (Im in Western Australia)

I think you are right about needing to let them know what they are to do - or NOT do - when I am working with someone. They need a little project (even if it is just colouring) to work on while I am busy and they are waiting for me. I do have a schedule already (although I realised it needs tweaking - I was far too optimistic with the times!!) and we did stick to it, which was good. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou for your prayers! Nicole

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:43 am

Hang in there - it will get better. It takes an unit or two to really get into a set schedule and system even with one guide. I agree with the pp that stagger starting would be great if you can do it. Otherwise just know that you will be tweaking the first two weeks or so. Scheduling ideas that I have seen or tried include:
- throwing chores into the schedule at various points
- assigning older to play with younger for 20-30 minutes
- 2 or 3 planned activities for younger during school time. It might be coloring, puzzles, DVD, or whatever, but this would be a part of their schedule for the morning
- do all of LHTH with your younger first so they get some mommy attention first and are not feeling left out. LHTH can usually be done in 30 minutes or so. If you do that you can work with your child in Beyond on things they need the most help with while your oldest is doing the independent boxes in Preparing, and younger can be working at his/her assigned activities.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

julieabird

Post by julieabird » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Thinking about you and praying for you!

I love the one on one time with my dc. I am very strict about the other child leaving me alone while I teach. I am not available to put on barbie clothes, or fix broken lego creations but I am available if there is blood. :D

I like the child who is NOT being taught to have a list of things they are going to do while I teach their sibling. They can read, work on puzzles, play with legos, practice musical instruments (in their room behind closed doors), have limited time on the computer at pbskids.org (with headphones), or play in their room. I don't want to see them or hear from them at all if possible. This helps me focus ONLY on the one, stay on track and get it done as quick as possible. You could set up stations for your 4 year old - coloring, puzzles, games, playdoh, etc. I bet your oldest could HELP keep your 4 yo occupied while you do school with your middle dc and vice versa.

We usually finish in 3 and 1/2 hours with two guides: LHFHG and Beyond. Sometimes I have them do handwriting LAST b/c they can do this in the kitchen on their own while I start school with the other in the dining room.
Julie R

ds 7 BLHFHG
dd 5 LHFHG

ninipelley

Post by ninipelley » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Great job mom! i know you are feeling good but also probably exhausted. Hang in there. You are exactly where i will be next year!
2011-2012 plan
9.5 yr dd Preparing
7 yr ds finishing LHFHG
4 yr dd learning letters
almost 3yr dd tagging along

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Thankyou everyone! Today was a MUCH better day! I really think it is just trying to get used to using HOD, schooling three kiddos, just getting back into school in general after our summer break, etc, etc. Yesterday was a 8am to 4pm!! Today is an 8.30am to 2pm - much better!!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:29 pm

julieabird wrote:...I love the one on one time with my dc. I am very strict about the other child leaving me alone while I teach. I am not available to put on barbie clothes, or fix broken lego creations but I am available if there is blood. :D...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I laughed out loud at this - it feels good to laugh !
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:34 pm

countrymom wrote:...I know that you will be tweaking the first two weeks or so. Scheduling ideas that I have seen or tried include:
- throwing chores into the schedule at various points
- assigning older to play with younger for 20-30 minutes
- 2 or 3 planned activities for younger during school time. It might be coloring, puzzles, DVD, or whatever, but this would be a part of their schedule for the morning
- do all of LHTH with your younger first so they get some mommy attention first and are not feeling left out. LHTH can usually be done in 30 minutes or so. If you do that you can work with your child in Beyond on things they need the most help with while your oldest is doing the independent boxes in Preparing, and younger can be working at his/her assigned activities.
We use all of these and depend on them for a smooth day - great list countrymom! :D We also use stations for our 4yo, as julieabird suggested, and enjoy that very much. Here is a link to a post I did about that...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10565&p=76777

I think it is key to have a plan for what each person is doing during the school time, and the more specific the better - it cuts down on interruptions and endless questions! :D You've already gotten some great ideas here, and it sounds like your day already went way smoother, so keep up the good work!!! Remember, the first few weeks are rarely a good indication of how smoothly everything is going to go in homeschooling the remainder of the year. Give yourself some grace and some time to get into the swing of things! You are going to do just fine - I know it. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:17 pm

Thankyou Julie, it is so lovely to hear that things will smooth out for me through the year when I hop over these beginning first bumps! I do love all the suggestions - we already do quite a few of them - so, thankyou ladies! Nicole

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:31 am

Welcome to HOD, Nicole. :D

You've received lots of great advice. I just wanted to share a few thoughts.
1. Peruse the schedule thread if you need scheduling tips. But don't feel guilty if a strict schedule is not your first love :D . I thought a strict schedule would be great for us, but it resulted in a stressed out Mom.
2. Even though your kids are in separate guides, you can still combine in a few areas if desired. We combine Storytime and Bigger's Science.
3. Time will tell how HOD will work best for your family. Schedules, chores, playtime, independent work, togetherness, etc. are personal choices and will not work the same for everyone.

Praying for a blessed first week!
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Thankyou Jess, that is a lovely reply. There is so much encouragement on this board!