ADHD...help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
renee

ADHD...help

Post by renee » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Hello. My nine year old (currently in Bigger) has ADHD . He is gifted but hates to read and write. His limit seems to be two to three sentences. The only part he truly enjoys is when I read to him. He reads above average but cannot stand to read past 10-15. Academically he is above average, but he lacks the self control to think through his responses. I think that is why he tends to lean toward fill in the blank textbooks. Usually his narrations are very detailed, and he does do great with them (while standing on his head or leaping across the room!)
Anyone have a child in Bigger or above with ADHD? I did receive some great advice from other HOD users about setting a timer, but my son did not do well with the timer. It caused him to feel pressure because he could not stand the idea of having homework. His work actually went down hill.
My main concern is the amount of copywork and writing in the upper guides. Anyone have any experience with Preparing and above with children who have ADHD?

Blessings,

Renee

lmercon

Re: ADHD...help

Post by lmercon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:59 pm

What if you just broke the assignment up into many small segments? He might have the assignment on the table all day as he hops from one thing to another. He may have to write 1-2 sentences at a time, with another activity in between each writing assignment. That way he's getting breaks from that which he doesn't like as much, things are moving from one activity to the next which keeps it interesting, yet the writing assignment is still getting done.
hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

renee

Post by renee » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Thank you Laura! I'll give it a shot. :D

Blessings,

Renee

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:10 pm

Me! Me! My 10yo DD is in Preparing. I found the biggest help to be sensory excercises. Brushing with joint compression. Weight bearing like laying on back with bottom against the wall and feet on wall...then PUSH! It sends her backwards and gives lots of good sensory input. Carrying a backpack with books helps and I did have her store all her books in her backpack and she had to carry it to wherever she was doing her school.
I have more suggestions but I'm on my phone and my thumbs are tired. Lol
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:53 pm

Well my 10 year old in Bigger is pretty much like that! I give him a weekly sheet and just have him do it and check it off. He gets a reward when he is done with his work. It frees him up to do his work at pretty much any time of the day, as long as its done by Friday afternoon. If not, there are consequences. I am putting the "ball in his court" so to speak. It's working very well for my very active son! He can go outside and jump on the trampoline if he wants to, while doing his work. As long as he is doing it correctly and getting it done, I am fine with it.

I think these types need a lot of freedom and a lot of responsibility put on them to get things done. And then let natural consequences fall into place.

Also, about the writing and copywork, break it up into smaller chunks per day, and it won't seem so overwhelming, like the poetry copywork. Break that down per day, so many lines, etc.

Blessings!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:43 pm

The short lesson format in HOD is great for dc with ADHD - much better than workbooks, believe me! :D Nothing is harder on dc with ADHD than sitting for long periods of time doing workbooks. My middle ds could probably be diagnosed with ADHD. I remember filling out forms for dc in my classroom back eons ago when I taught in ps, and I know my ds would have probably fit the bill. It is key for him to have get up and move type work interspersed with seatwork. It is also important for him to rotate between inspirational and disciplinary subjects. Carrie has an excellent post explaining that here...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2125

Riley needs a break in the middle of his work. He plays with his little brother for 45 minutes, and then comes back to finish the rest of his work. This break is key for him. You may want to consider having ds complete a portion of his work, and then take a 30-45 minute break, hopefully to do something quite active, and then return to finish out his school. He would have to understand finishing was not optional though. :wink: It's good if whatever they do has a definite end (i.e. a 30 minute exercise video). HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

renee

Post by renee » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Thank you all so much for your help. I appreciate all of you very much :D

Renee