One Month Update

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Homeschooling6

One Month Update

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi, Ladies,

I wanted to give you all a little update. About a month ago I came for encouragement with starting two Guides~Preparing and Beyond with four of my boys. I was terrified of starting two guides.

I made myself a block schedule that pretty much looks like this;

*Latin~four older students 30-40min.
*Math~with my 8th grader (he struggles a bit and has improved now that I sit with him daily) 10-20 min.
*Preparing School with Caleb and Brent, I usually fit in the rotating box, Read about History, poetry, Storytime and get them started with the Activity.40-60 min.
*All About Spelling with Lance 10-20 min.
*Emerging Reader book with Ethan 10 min.
*Beyond School with Ethan and Lance 40 minutes~we complete history, Bible, rotating box and sometimes Storytime (if we don't get to the storytime box it's either missed for the day or I read before bed)
*Beyond spelling and All About Spelling 10-20 minutes, just depends what we are doing. I kind of switch between the two.
*Math with Lance rotate with Rod & Staff Grammar with Ethan.
Lunch
Grammar and spelling with my Preparing boys.

There are subjects with my two older dc that I can't seem to fit in, so I do those at night when needed or try to squeeze it in. The box schedule is just a frame to help me stay on track. Again, if I need to I'll adjust to fit my older two in and just continue the next day.

I still haven't started DITHOR and there are a few things that are skipped but I try not to skip the samethings. Over all it's going great. I'm reading aloud to my children again. This is HUGE for me. I use to read for hours to my children and miss that time. Now with HOD I'm reading again. Sad to say read aloud has to be scheduled in otherwise it gets pushed to the bottom of the list. We are doing science, another subject that rarely got done. History is consistent again. Because history was not being scheduled in my day it too was not getting done regularly.

I'm happy to report that I'm doing more subjects in the same amount of time. How am I fitting in subjects like history, science, poetry, read aloud, subjects that were not getting done before? The only thing I can come up with is, HOD has it all scheduled for me. I love the formatt of the boxes. I don't feel stressed at all. If we didn't get to something, for that day I move on anyway and try to fit it in later (but am not stressed if we missed something because it will come around again). For the most part I'm able to keep up and try my best not to skip things.

I just wanted to say thank you ladies for giving me ideas and encouraging me. Also for helping me place my children correctly. If anyone remembers I wanted to place Caleb and Brent in CtC. Now I'm very thankful I didn't because it would have been too much and most likely would have resulted in quitting HOD. My two youngest boys, I was going to put them in Bigger but again, I'm thankful you all advised me to start them in Beyond.

Lastly, I love that everything centers around Christ. This is what I missed the most in our school days. Christ is woven throughout our subjects. It's not separted. When my older children were grades K-3rd. I used programs that focused heavily on missionaries and Christ. I truly believe because of that they are close to God and I see the results of having Christ in most of our subjects. I want that for my younger children too but some how with me adding in new 'students' every year, trying to get phonics, math, etc, done daily I strayed away from God being the center of our school and Bible time was kind of tacked on.

Now with the help of HOD I feel like I'm getting back on track with my younger children. We are again having great discussions about the Bible and our books. That in my opinion is huge with developing good character in our children.

Blessings,
Linda<><
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

Molly

Re: One Month Update

Post by Molly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Oh Linda, it sounds like wonderful things are happening in your home. And it is so awesome to hear Christ is at the centre of your home schooling.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Linda, sounds like the Lord is truly blessing you! You are doing a wonderful job and your children are thriving!

Bless you!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Thank you ladies. I am enjoying HOD very much. It's a challenge for me to get through all the boxs but it's good challenge :) keeping me on my toes :wink: I don't feel overwhelmed like I thought I would. There are day of course that are harder than others but over-all things are getting done and I am so happy to be reading to my children again. Even my older dc hop on the bed to join in on the reading.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

Sue G in PA

Post by Sue G in PA » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi Linda! I was just reading your post over at the WTM! I'm so happy HOD is working for you. I recently reworked our schedule into more of a block format myself (after almost giving up running 3 guides!) and am hopeful it will be a better "fit" for us. It can get hectic but I do love HOD. Just wanted to say "hi". :)

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Sue G in PA wrote:Hi Linda! I was just reading your post over at the WTM! I'm so happy HOD is working for you. I recently reworked our schedule into more of a block format myself (after almost giving up running 3 guides!) and am hopeful it will be a better "fit" for us. It can get hectic but I do love HOD. Just wanted to say "hi". :)
Hi, Sue (waving), the block schedule has really helped me along with discipling myself to start at 8:00 (not jumping on the computer :roll: ) and just sticking with schooling one child after another. At times I need to spend more time with one child and it throws things off. I make myself stay calm and remember there is always tomorrow (as long as I don't do that everyday :wink: ).
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:12 pm

Linda - I am celebrating each and every one of these things with you today! :D

I'm reading aloud to my children again. This is HUGE for me. I use to read for hours to my children and miss that time. Now with HOD I'm reading again. Sad to say read aloud has to be scheduled in otherwise it gets pushed to the bottom of the list. We are doing science, another subject that rarely got done. History is consistent again. Because history was not being scheduled in my day it too was not getting done regularly...

I'm happy to report that I'm doing more subjects in the same amount of time. How am I fitting in subjects like history, science, poetry, read aloud, subjects that were not getting done before? The only thing I can come up with is, HOD has it all scheduled for me. I love the formatt of the boxes. I don't feel stressed at all. If we didn't get to something, for that day I move on anyway and try to fit it in later (but am not stressed if we missed something because it will come around again). For the most part I'm able to keep up and try my best not to skip things...

I love that everything centers around Christ. This is what I missed the most in our school days. Christ is woven throughout our subjects. It's not separted...

Now with the help of HOD I feel like I'm getting back on track with my younger children. We are again having great discussions about the Bible and our books. That in my opinion is huge with developing good character in our children...

These are important things to celebrate. They are what makes homeschooling work, they are what fill our emotional tanks as homeschool moms and keep us focused on the prize. Kuddos to you for your dedication, for a job well done, and for an attitude well chosen. May God continue to bless your homeschooling! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Linda,

I'm so glad to hear your update. :D Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your progress. Your post blessed me tonight!

Blessings,
Carrie