Sneak Peek #5: New Guide Missions to Modern Marvels

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Sneak Peek #5: New Guide Missions to Modern Marvels

Post by Carrie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Ladies,

I only have time today for a quick sneak peek, but it is a goodie! :D We're very excited about the CM-style nature journal that we will schedule within this guide's plans. It is titled Nature Drawing and Journaling and is a brand-new product (in 2011) by Barry Stebbing of How Great Thou Art! It is exactly what we have been looking for and incorporates a love for nature, includes lessons on drawing from nature, guides students in keeping a nature journal, and works to look at nature as God's glorious handiwork. :D Link: http://www.howgreatthouart.com/products/111.html

Description: A unique combination of nature journaling instructions, reflections, and space for your own work, Nature Drawing and Journaling will keep you outside observing & thinking for hours. Filled with Barry Stebbing's 40 years' worth of insights on studying nature and keeping an art journal, with patience and practice you'll be able to create your very own! Supply lists, instructions on what a journal is (and is not), and hints on starting your own are provided. The journal pages feature journal entries, full-color illustrations, a quote at the top, and often full-page reproductions of Barry Stebbing's journal. 127 pages, spiralbound softcover, with blank pages in the back. :D

In tandem with the nature journaling twice weekly, we also plan to include nature-inspired poetry from Wordsworth, Longfellow, and Whitman in particular. :D We will likely spend 12 weeks, or a CM-style term, on each poet. :D We hope you will be as excited about this selection as we are! :D

With this latest choice, we will have done the CM fine arts skills in a 4 year rotation, doing watercolor painting weekly along with Robert Frost's poetry in CTC, art appreciation with picture study in RTR, music appreciation with composer study in Rev2Rev (plus classic paintings included throughout the Student Notebook), and nature journaling in MTMM. We will have done classic poetry every year from Beyond on up, sketching practice with instruction through Draw and Write from CTC through MTMM, and a scheduled hymn singing and hymn appreciation in Bigger (with more hymns to come in MTMM). :D

Blessings,
Carrie

blessedmomof4

Re: Sneak Peek #5: New Guide Missions to Modern Marvels

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:56 pm

My dd 13 summed it up in one word when i showed her the news...AWESOME :mrgreen:
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:11 pm

I agree with the 13 year old! :D That is so great. It is all those things I never get to and now we finally will through HOD. Oh my the younger kids are going to be jealous of this. But I like that suspense and giving them something to look forward to later on. :wink: Can't wait to see and use it! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Wonderful! I love seeing your sneek peeks!

I keep looking for the "like" button (I'm on facebook way too much, obviously!)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:38 pm

I LOVE my curriculum!
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:17 am

Love it!

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:30 am

This mama is looking forward to school with her DC, if just to go through this material for the first time herself! I had ZERO fine arts training outside music! I agree with Lourdes' DD13!
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

annaz

Post by annaz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:31 am

Ooooooh.....Now this is good!
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:49 am

That sounds FANTASTIC!!!!! :D :D :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Thankyou :D
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Looks wonderful!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

my2beauties

Post by my2beauties » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Carrie,
I have spent close to a year researching and evaluating curriculum. I cannot tell you how pleased I am with HOD. Everything is so thorough and covers EVERYTHING I want my child to learn and appreciate. Thank you so much!!

-Lisa

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:08 pm

Ladies,

I am thrilled that you are as excited as we are about this latest find. :D We had done nature journals for years with our oldest two sons, when they were younger. However, as the years passed, I always felt inept at helping them become better at sketching what they saw in nature. This journal does that through its guided lessons, as well as helping students enjoy and appreciate the outdoors as God's creation! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:26 pm

Carrie wrote:Ladies,

I am thrilled that you are as excited as we are about this latest find. :D We had done nature journals for years with our oldest two sons, when they were younger. However, as the years passed, I always felt inept at helping them become better at sketching what they saw in nature. This journal does that through its guided lessons, as well as helping students enjoy and appreciate the outdoors as God's creation! :D

Blessings,
Carrie
This sounds wonderful, Carrie! We used to do nature journals pretty regularly when our dd was younger, too, but have let it slide over the past few years. It will be so nice to pick it back up when she is older and can really get a ton out of it! Thanks for writing such great curriculum! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM