Preparing Unit 14 Day 4 Science question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
smithdonnajo

Preparing Unit 14 Day 4 Science question

Post by smithdonnajo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:19 am

Anyone who has completed the science exploration for Preparing Unit 14 day 4:

This is to use mini-marshmallows and straws or toothpicks to build a dinosaur.

We are having a very hard time with this. DS (who is a lego building expert) had Lots of frustration. Then we got Dad involved. My son first built it with mini marshmallows and toothpicks; then made a 2nd attempt with regular sized marshmallows and straws. The 2nd one worked better, but still wouldn't stand up. We thought we might try it again with our Tinker Toys, which we will get out of the attic today. My son is a perfectionist, so he got really frustrated that he couldn't make this work. I told him, maybe that is the whole point of the experiment. To show how hard it would be to design a large animal that can be balanced and have a good "center of gravity".

Does anyone has any advice or tips with this?

I wanted to add that my son and I have really enjoyed working through Preparing. He is on the older end of the age range, so he is able to do alot of it on his own, after I get him started.

Thank you!
Donna Jo