A couple questions about dictation

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ivylouya

A couple questions about dictation

Post by ivylouya » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi,

I have been using Spelling Workout with my son up until now, and decided to give dictation a try this week. He is in 3rd grade, and using the Bigger guide. Are the dictation passages in Bigger appropriate for a 3rd grade level, and am I correct by starting with the first passage, as to ease him in to it? Also, I noticed that some of the same words appear in the dictation passages ("sing" appears in passages 1 and 2), so should he use a new notebook page for each passage so he can't look back?

Thanks!
Ivy
Caleb, 8 -- BHFHG
Natalie, 6 -- LHFHG
Noah, 4 -- LHTH
Micah, 3 -- LHTH

raceNzanesmom

Re: A couple questions about dictation

Post by raceNzanesmom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:03 pm

I can't really help since we haven't started Bigger or dictation, but I would guess it's best to start at the beginning.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

ivylouya

Post by ivylouya » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:24 pm

Thank you. :) I have found some more links to answer some of my questions since I posted this, but I'm still wondering if he should start with a new notebook page for each passage -- whether it's for a new passage or one he has to re-do from the previous day. Also, how do I know if I should have him do the extension words, too? Ask him if he wants to do them or make him do them if he is consistently doing the passages correctly on the first try? Or just not worry about them for now?

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:24 pm

ivylouya wrote:Thank you. :) I have found some more links to answer some of my questions since I posted this, but I'm still wondering if he should start with a new notebook page for each passage -- whether it's for a new passage or one he has to re-do from the previous day. Also, how do I know if I should have him do the extension words, too? Ask him if he wants to do them or make him do them if he is consistently doing the passages correctly on the first try? Or just not worry about them for now?
Good question! :D We start with a new notebook page for each passage, for this very reason. It prevents the temptation to look back for "help". :wink: There are only extension words in Level 2. I just read them after the passage, and my dc wrote them as a list. I thought they were important to do. The dictation passages build upon each other from day to day, year to year, level to level. This is why you will see some of the same words spiraling back around. We have been impressed with the carryover of good spelling and writing skills from dictation into our dc's daily work. Dictation is my favorite way to teach spelling now! Level 2 is also not equivalent to "Grade Level 2". It is merely the first level of dictation. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

ivylouya

Post by ivylouya » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:47 pm

Yes, that helps! That is the answer I was looking for. I guess it's common sense, but I always like to know that we're doing it "right." ;) I have read so many comments about the benefits of dictation, so I'm very excited about it! I don't know why I overlooked it before ... I guess because my son was enjoying his spelling workbooks until recently. Thanks!