Using Singapore Math-help!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sbarr

Using Singapore Math-help!

Post by sbarr » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi friends,
My dd is 7 and we are using Beyond with the Singapore 2A right now. She is doing pretty good, but has not Mastered her addition facts and we are now at the point where multiplying is being introduced. I am wondering...what are some things you have done to help with Mastery of math facts other than flashcards?

Also...I felt like I wasn't doing a good job teaching the math because there were no real "teacher instructions", just sample problems in the textbook like the workbook- THEN I FOUND OUT TODAY THERE IS A HOMESCHOOL EDUCATORS GUIDE. The description sounds like there are games, hands on exercises, etc in the Homeschool educators guide.Has anyone else purchased the homeschool educator guides? I am wondering if they are helpful, could this be added into the Heart of Dakota curriculum packages? I had no idea this product even existed.

Would love your feedback, I am afraid my lack of math love is making this harder than needed...and we are only in second grade!! :)

Blessings, Sarah Barr

LovingJesus

Re: Using Singapore Math-help!

Post by LovingJesus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 pm

I don't know if it will help but the Bigger guide has all of the hands on activities that Carrie put together to go with Singapore 2A. I realize this means a separate guide for math, but I thought you might want to know.

I haven't ever purchased the Homeschool educators guide. I have used Singapore now for 2 years, and I have always taught the text and then done the problems with them in the work book. The one thing I do wish they had were tests to see how they are doing at learning the material. I have sometimes used the review sections for that purpose.

The one thing I added, about the time that we started 2A, was Calculadder. Flashcards don't do very well in our house. Calculadder is a book of timed tests on basic math facts. It takes 2 minutes a day, and once we got in the routine has proved to be very easy to add in. I set the stove timer for 2 minutes, and he adds a page of addition problems. It does the same sheet for 10 days and then goes to the next sheet. The first book has addition/subtraction. Then there are other books for multiplication, etc.

The last thing about Singapore is I do think things come around again. At least so far they have. The second time always seems easier than the first, even with the time that passes in between.

I hope this helps. I love math. :D

sbarr

Post by sbarr » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:55 am

Thanks for the input! I am going to look at the timed tests you suggested. Maybe I will just work on really practicing what we have learned so far...adding, subtraction, and some multiplication of 2's and 3's...in April we have a large homeschool convention here in Cincinnati and I plan to purchase Bigger then. At that time, maybe I can go ahead and use the Bigger's guide for 2B. My dd will not be 8 until the very end of August. So, we could finish up 2B over late Spring and summer and still start 3A in the fall. What do you think?

Thanks again!
S. B

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:21 am

We have never needed the HIG, either. We have just always done the activities that Carrie has built in to the guides. My dd was ahead in math, so we were in two guides for a while (one guide for math, the other for everything else). It was definitely worth it. I can't imagine doing it without Carrie's activities! By the time you get to 3A, there are no longer activities as the kiddos are old enough to just be taught from the textbook. We have had good luck with this. We're about to be starting 3B any day now! :D

I did want to mention that there's no rush really on getting her into 3A. Keep in mind that Singapore math is considered to be about a semester ahead. So. 1B/2A is perfectly fine for a 2nd grader, 2B/3A is great for a 3rd grader, etc. Not to imply that you were rushing her, but I wanted to mention that since some people don't always know that.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

sbarr

Post by sbarr » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:54 am

Thanks mommamo! I actually had forgotten that Singapore was ahead a semester- that sure makes me feel better! I think I will just hold out on the 2B until we get the "Bigger" guide.

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:42 pm

We use Singapore, but LOVE this game for reviewing math facts (addition or multiplication)...

You need graph paper, dice (specialty ones 1-10 are great but regular could work, too), and colored pencils.

Each player needs a piece of graph paper that has a section marked off to make a big grid (20x20 or bigger/smaller whatever you determine to use for the game). When we play with my dd just doing addition we make a much smaller grid. :wink:

Each player takes a turn rolling the dice, multiplying the numbers together and then coloring the # of squares in the grid to match the answer. Example: If a 3 and 5 are rolled then you color 15 squares of your grid. If you were playing addition you'd color 8.

Then the dice go to the next player to roll, solve & color. First one to color their entire grid in...WINS!

It's amazing how many facts they'll do when it's fun! :wink:
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

Molly

Post by Molly » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:24 pm

What a great idea Creativemommy. I love it. I will definately be doing that one this year.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:13 pm

This thread was a huge encouragement to me and I am SO doing that grid game! I love that idea!!!!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am

You can rest easy :) Singapore kids don't even start 1A until the year they turn 7.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Sarah,

This past thread may be of help to you as you ponder: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10836&p=79264

Blessings,
Carrie