Science Input Please

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my2beauties

Science Input Please

Post by my2beauties » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:11 pm

My son is using LHFHG (age 6) and I am looking ahead to next year. Right now, we are using The World God Made for K. For next year, the recommended resource for Science is God's Wonderful Works. From the catalog, they seem to be VERY similar. And if so, what else would you suggest? My son needs lots of hands on science to balance all of the sitting for reading, writing and math. Thank you so much!!!

-Lisa

edsnyder

Re: Science Input Please

Post by edsnyder » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:43 pm

We are currently using both, I have one in lhfhg and one in blhfhg and yes the text is real similar, however the actives planned are different and a lot of times my boys will both do the discovery/experiment part however I will admit that there are a couple experiments in the blhfhg that have completely flopped on us - lol - may have been my error. It is simple and my older could probably use something a little deeper but he was borderline on going into bigger.
There are hands on discoveries to do that are different in each one.
Elisa help meet to my husband Luke of 12 years and mother of three awesome children:
ds9 - Bigger
ds6 - Beyond - Half Speed
dd3 - Little Hands -

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:35 am

The experiments in Beyond are all different from the experiments in LHFHG. I've not found any hands-on science done as well as HOD does it. My oldest ds is in RevtoRev doing physical science with labwork as scheduled by HOD using "Exploration Education". He does it all independently and is doing amazingly well with it thanks to the experiments he did every single week starting with LHFHG in HOD. If an experiment doesn't turn out exactly right, we view this as a teaching moment. It actually parallels a science lab perfectly if things don't always go just so. The key idea sums it up for us nicely. Many other science programs "look" good, but in the day to day the experiments just don't get done, and suddenly the hands-on is dropped, turning science into just one more subject to be read. That has been our experience with other science at least. With HOD, hands-on science is doable, well-matched, and enjoyable. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:28 pm

We have used LHFHG & Beyond. At first I thought it wasn't enough as my ds LOVES science & hands-on experiments, but looking back (and hearing my son talk about experiments we did 2 years ago now) I know it was enough and I'm thankful we didn't have experiments planned everyday in the guide. Now if he wants more science, I'll let him do his own extra experiments based on other science books we have or from our library outside of our school time. It's also something my husband enjoys doing with him on the weekends.
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger