Reading aloud issues, health concerns...help? Vent

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

Reading aloud issues, health concerns...help? Vent

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:02 pm

I am absolutely in a total brain fog right now...I'm going to attempt to type this anyway and if any chance isn't doesn't come out how I would truly want to have it come out...delete away! :) And honestly, I know some will confuse you and make you think I'm crazy and have no right treahing my own children with tha horrible spelling and lack of proper grammar. It's a lupus brain fog tonight peoples! It's on my heart and it has to come ont...pick and pick to get the right pieces if you need to. LOL I'll be back out of my blur and will read it and laugh at myself tomorrow. Deal? LOL

I've posted about my health struggles with 2 autoimmune diseases,Graves/Hyperthyroid and Lupus, to you ladies and asked for prayers. Thank you so much for the encouragement. Now, this Graves Disease issue is affecting me in that with hyperthyroidism, you can have sore throat and such. Well, my throat often is swollen and sore but not the kind of typical sore throat...more like I sent it off to do a major exercise class for me and it came back swollen, tight, and bruised all over. Up to my jaws and even deep into my ears!

So, that, plus the heart issues from it, which seem to be calming down now, but a bit too much (starting to have bouts of too SLOW instead of fast)...I'm getting the fatigue, aches and pains, joint and muscles, and now spine and neck...that's bother me a while but not this bad. I can feel my hip protest when I go upstairs or down. I'm much slower. My weak muscles can't even let me lift my 2yo and fly him around like I enjoyed doing. I know much of this overlaps with the Lupus. I'm not being treated yet for the lupus, but will get my thyroid checked out next week to adjust meds if needed. Hopefully we will then look into Lupus for sure.

Between now and then...I can barely do readalouds. All my voice is spent with normal daily chatter and correction etc....I read a very short little level 2 reader to my two youngest tonight and that was all i could do. I'm not sure really why. I just love living books, but I really can't read them to them. My oldest can do more of her own readings, but I've got the next in line in the emerging reader set. WHAT do I do?! I Can't read aloud to them regualarly, I can't tack on more school for oldest to have to read to the youngers at this time. WE are working on our own battles with her and do not want to stop that. I dont' particularly enjoy reading aloud anyway (don't beat me! :wink: I think it stems from the health stuff before I knew i had it).

Well...what now? I'm doing just the 3Rs with DS5 and DS8 and letting DD10 take off with more of her own and diving into PHFHG as able right now. She's ready for more...CTC even, but we will hang here and she what comes up it. The little ones though...I cant read aloud for them to do any HOD level with them right now. I explain math and phonics, etc and that's about all I've got. I realize the DS8 is only in 2nd grade and that it's really ok tojust have him reading and learning math and handwriting...I do want more for him though. He's a thinker...a reader...a planner...he wants to be active and artisitic...i'm not giving him that without BHFHG. Maybe I should have started him in Beyond anyway...but now I'm at a loss about what to to. It's not even about placemet...he could do Bhfhg half speed and be fine, but it is ME as the teacher that has to real aloud to all the kids each day. It so very doable when you aren't dealing with major autoimmune health issues taking their tolls on you. It's not so much doable when you have been beat down, refused sleep , and given multi-system involvement issues and know that it's your own body beating it down. Killing it. How can I continue a living books program if I can't read them their living books?!
Everything is so off...we are not on the same guide page for any subjects...there are tabs galore. I want what HOD has. I dont know how to get that out of it given my situation. I just keep thinking I have to just swtich to textbooks and add in some great readers from the HOD book shop...stick with DITHOR together though. It's just so hard right now, ladies. I've been on bedrest and this is so not that. This is like...you don't look sick, no one understands that you could look so good and yet be so very sick at the same time, so they see you and expect you to be all pulled together, planned well, and ready to run with it...whatever IT is. Mine is housework and school. I JUST CAN"T RUN WITH IT. I'm slower than a great great granny and I'm 31. I have better moments and I'm learning I pay for them later if I take those better moments in full for what they are less I borrow too many good moments inadvance. It makes no sense, but that's how it goes. Help? I know now why my kids haen't been able to get through a single level start to finish b/c we have no way to stay on track with it all. I feel horrible! 10 moves in 8 years... :shock: but this is our longest and our final move for a long time coming up. NW AR down to central FLorida. The moving will be over and we can focus on school and health. Health really...then school. This health won't let me be the mom and teacher I need to be. I can't do what HOD calls of me to do. I dn't know ow to make it work for us in the lower levels where the kids need so much of me and I'm not available much for this sort of thing. :? I'll end my fog here b/c somone else catches it. 8)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

MelInKansas

Re: Reading aloud issues, health concerns...help? Vent

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:35 pm

Maybe if the money isn't an issue, download audio versions of the books if you can get them. I'm sure many of the storytime selections you can get on audiobook, maybe even for free.

When we were going on a road trip I recorded myself reading the read-alouds and then though "why not audio books?" It may be difficult to start and stop in the right place(s) but I'm sure you could work it out.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:37 pm

MelInKansas wrote:Maybe if the money isn't an issue, download audio versions of the books if you can get them. I'm sure many of the storytime selections you can get on audiobook, maybe even for free.

When we were going on a road trip I recorded myself reading the read-alouds and then though "why not audio books?" It may be difficult to start and stop in the right place(s) but I'm sure you could work it out.
Audio books is an excellent idea. I've found a few on Liberox for free, but not too fond of the readers. I can't afford to stock up on all audios :/ Sure wish I could! We all enjoy it so much moer like way!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Lovinglearningathome

Post by Lovinglearningathome » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:41 am

Home school co_op had a years subscription to Tales 2go for very cheap. I think $39. It had a lot of great classics and books. Also has songs. It is only for apple things though (iPod etc.) Also check your library. I can order pretty much any audio book I need. Try interlibrary loans if your regular library doesn't have them. They also have playaways that are an MP3 that stays right where you stop it until u start again.
Praying you feel better soon.

Lovinglearningathome

Post by Lovinglearningathome » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:43 am

Also, is the 10 year old able to read to the younger kids? Possibly could your husband read in the evenings? That would be like pulling teeth here but I know some men like to read. :wink:

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:12 am

I have no suggestions, just continued prayers. May the Lord who knows, show you the BEST way to accomplish His purposes during this difficult time. ((Hugs))
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Tamara,

I'm so sorry you're having such a struggle with your health right now. That really does affect every other area, too. :(

I don't know how many of the books are available on audio but surely some are. Maybe you could get your oldest (or some other family member or friend) to agree to record herself reading some of the books for a small fee. You may even be able to find someone, perhaps a teenager or mom, that would be willing to do it for you just to earn a little extra cash. Or, maybe there are volunteers in your church or community that would do this to earn volunteer hours. I know here in Florida lots of homeschoolers log volunteer hours, so maybe start within the homeschooling community. Those are the things that came to mind right away. I'm not sure if that will help. :?

My only other advice is to just take one day at a time and do what you can as you can. God knows your future. He knew you would be dealing with these health issues and trying to homeschool your children all at the same time. Try to focus on what He has for you and your children each day and the learning will be there. You may have to go slowly with the younger ones since you can't read aloud a lot at once. Taking several days to get through the books will still produce learning. Don't feel like you have to 'keep up' with anyone else. Your family and situation is unique and you can only do what YOU can do. If others judge you, I know it's hard, but remember that God has a special plan....and He does want you to begin to heal and get your health stuff figured out as you are able. I understand a little about the moving....we have moved 5 times in the last 6.5 years. It can make things tough, but even in that God is there. I will pray for you this week as you try to sort everything out. :wink: And please come back with an update once you've seen the doctor again.

kzacarkim

Post by kzacarkim » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi Tamara,
I don't post too much, but I have been following your posts and my heart goes to you! I can imagine how hard it is to be sick and have so many responsibilities over your shoulders. I feel overwhelmed myself sometimes, working a full time job, homeschooling, breastfeeding around the clock, and I'm not even sick. My advice to you is don't be too hard on yourself. You need to take care of yourself, your health, so you can take care of everything else. Delegate, delegate, delegate. I like the idea on previous posts of having older children and your husband to do the read aloud books. Also you could add an online learning program that they can do independently to fill in the gaps, and still use the core of HOD at a slower pace. I'm praying right now that the Lord touches your life and brings healing to your body. I also pray that the Lord will give you peace and assurance that He is with you and will guide you every step of the way.
By the way, happy new year! :D
Karla
Mommy of
Marcus Leon (9) 4th grade
Andrew Lucas (7) 2nd grade
Larissa Ranae (4) Preschool Stuff
Abby Nicole (2) Our toddler in residence

Isaiah 33. 6

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Tamara - I am praying for you! I'm so sorry for all you are going through :( , and I pray that after this move, you will be able to regain your health and feel more settled.

There are good ideas here already. I was thinking audio books too. Many libraries have quite a selection, and those would be free, so you may want to check some out there. It is also a great idea to have dh do some of the reading. He could do this on his own time (even late at night if he's a night owl, or early in the morning if he's an early bird), by recording himself on a cassette tape. He could just read a chapter each day sometime, and rewind and record over it the next day, so it was always at the start of the tape and ready to go. This would be the time to pick SHORTER books. I'd pick the books with the least amount of pages within each genre. Even your oldest dd (if she enjoys oral reading and has a propensity for it) could take a turn reading on tape, so dh isn't doing it all the time. Between dh reading on tape, oldest dd reading on tape, and audio books, I think you'll be alright.

As far as being on all different pages of the guides, I have a simple solution for that. Put a sticky note (you probably already have them) in each of the places you are for each subject. Start your teaching day with the first sticky note subject(s) and do two day's worth of plans of that one. Also do the next sticky note, only one day's worth of plans. The next sticky note, only one day's worth of plans, etc. However, don't do the last sticky note thing at all (the one furthest into the guide). As your first sticky note catches up with your second sticky note, do 2 days' worth of plans of those and one of the rest, but none of the last. Keep doing this until they all meet up with the last sticky note. You may be thinking this is not very balanced. You are right! :D However, it has not been balanced anyway (which is understandable considering all that has been going on), and this is a quick way to help get all of the subject areas back into balance without skipping things. :D

For your oldest dd, she can do much of PHFHG on her own, given her age and capabilities. I would train her in that direction, having her take over more of it day by day. She can do her own Storytime, and follow directions for many of the "S" boxes on her own. :D

I am praying for you, Tamara, and I realize these ideas won't fix everything, but I hope something here can help you out. Take care of you too!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:02 am

I am SO enjoying reading all these wonderful thoughts, encouragements, and ideas. I must admit that I don't recall posting my original message, but I"m glad I did! It's rather funny what I wind up doing when I take a certain one of my meds. :lol:

Anyway, Julie...AWESOME idea about the the way to get the tabs back to the same day of plans. I do have the sticky notes there already, ....all over the guide. It's awfully decorated! Your idea is a really good one! DD can take over her guide fairly easily and I've already discussed it with her. She agreed but asked to do it slowly. It isn't that she's "scared" or incapable...she's got a strong aversion to work. :wink: Especially without someone to guide her. She'll need a good VISUAL check list...I think I have a good one someone. No words..just the shape of the boxes for the two page spread. I once put it in a page protector and she checked the boxes off as she did them. She loves to read, but not a wordy to do list! I'm having trouble getting her into DITHOR...she didn't complain about it, just expressed trouble she's having but didn't know how to explain. I've held off of it for some time now. Wish I could understand her issue with it but it seemed valid...I can read her pretty well.

I started her in Math Essentials 4/5 per Carrie's advice, but it isn't suiting her too well...I was shocked that she just wants to be challenged and loves the Singapore methods. So I put her in 3B, but she needs much hand-holding and explanation. I just can't get to it in a consistent enough manner to justify it, so we are going back to Math Mammoth for her. The explanations are in the worktext, it's one book, and she "gets it". She can do it even if I can't be there and it uses the parts of Singapore she loves...bar models and mental math :) And mama loves that it's also conceptual. Love that it fits her. I finally have peace about her math like I have peace about HOD!

My son is doing okay with just the basics, but I know he'd love more fun in his days. And I'd like to keep all his skills moving forward now that he's 8, even though he's only in 2nd grade. Catching the tabs up will let us do that. He's not a project kind of guy, oddly. But he's big on notebooking! He doesn't complain about schoolwork, but he does grow so weary, so quickly. He's the one with the tabs just all over. He's my math loving boy, but mommy is still having trouble getting to his math too. He's in Singapore 2A. My brain isn't really on par as it should be many days, so teaching this has been hard. Not just consistency . I can't decide if I'd be better off sticking it out and doing it here and there, or being consistent with daily Math Mammoth. I know they are similar programs and similar methods...it should be a no brainer that daily, consistent math is better. It's not good if we don't do it, right?! I've heard Julie and/or Carrie say...sometimes the best program is the one that gets done. ;)

As for DH reading aloud and recording it, that's not too likely to happen. We'll see. DD loves to read but not read aloud, but I can "make her" share in it at times. DS is 8 and may be able to read some on his own with me there. Perhaps he could read aloud some. He has pretty good comprehension and his reading has blossomed. I know a big thing is having him hear, listen, and grasp from hearing.

My 5yo is still just doing Pre-k stuff...he starts K this fall. I'm just doing some fun stuff with him on occasion. It's just right for him right now.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling