Using HOD in Florida? Re: laws and records

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

Using HOD in Florida? Re: laws and records

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm originally from Fl and have a lot of family there. It looks like we'll be moving there soon! What do I need to know about record keeping, portfolios, etc. with HOD in florida? I've only homeschooled in AR and OK, so I've never had any record keeping to do. What do you turn in and what do you keep to show, etc? And since we aren't having to keep records right now, is there anything I need to start doing now for when we register in FL? It will be a couple months at the least, and the latest would be Sept/Aug.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Heidi in AK

Re: Using HOD in Florida? Re: laws and records

Post by Heidi in AK » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:53 am

I am not from FL, but I wanted to jump in and say I'll be praying for your move! I've been following the illness and I pray that this upcoming move offers some peace and normalcy to your life at this time! Hugs and prayers to you, Tamara!
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:30 am

Thank you! We plan to finally buy a home so that means SETTLING! I'm thrilled. I have many cousins there and they have kids near my kids' ages. My grandparents,mom, amd aumts amd uncles are there as well. There are many get togethers, cookouts, and beach outings. Plus the ladies like to all go out together often and the kids have sleepovers and such. I've missed those times like that from my childhood and have been away from them for so long. DH has just his parents somewhat near us right now and we love them being near. There's still not the same sense of family. I know it will be great to have that again. For all of us! And after being alone so long, it will be so refreshing for me!

Another bonus, it's a buyers market for housing right now and I'll have plenty of help for those rougher days with this illness. :)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

AmandaNicole

Post by AmandaNicole » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Have you checked out the HSLDA website? They have all the information on each states homeschool laws.
Wife to my high school sweetie - 9 years
Mommy to:
Garrett - Bigger
Colton - LHFHG
Nolan - tagging along

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:47 pm

I did. And there's laws about keeping portfolios, testing, evaluations by teachers, etc. I just need to know specifically how people are meeting the law using HOD. :) Record keeping for school is totally new to me!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:07 pm

Tamara, Florida is fairly simple. You file a notice of intent, one time when you begin homeschooling. Then, you need to keep a portfolio but it does not need to be everything....our homeschool group leaders recommend, even plead if they are the ones doing the evaluations, that we NOT keeping everything, instead a page or two from the beginning, middle, and end of the year for each subject. That way the evaluator will be able to see what was done and the progress made during the year, but doesn't have to sort through hundreds of papers. If you want to keep everything for your own records that's up to you, of course, but is not required.

Up through 8th grade you may teach or not teach whatever subjects you like. And actually, as far as I know (we're just beginning our high school journey next fall), there are no required classes for high school either, unless you are trying to make transcripts for colleges or to get a degree through a high school or distance learning program. We do not have to submit any forms showing our plans or turn in any quarterly reports, etc. The state does require either an evaluation be done at the end of each year or that you have your child tested (depending on age/grade...check HSLDA)......for either one a form needs to be sent in, signed by a certified teacher, that states that the child has made the required progress for the year. Finding a local homeschool group once you arrive will be a huge help to you, so I highly recommend that. So, I guess the easy answer is that it is easy to homeschool in Florida no matter which curriculum you use! :) There is more than one option too. We have chosen to register our children with a private school. There are requirements such as immunization forms, physical forms, and attendance, however, for us it is preferable to registering with the state. If you'd like to know more about what we do or if you have any other questions feel free to contact me through a pm. I'm happy to help as I can. :wink:

Where in FL will you be located?

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Thank you so much! So the notebooking is the perfect portfolio for science and history, right? Then the math workbooks and a few pages of Rod and Staff, some written narrations if they're to that level, and?? HSLDA says to give literature titles and such alig with lists of educational activities the literature is associated with and stuff like that. I was a bit thrown for a loop!!

So you register once and that's it? I have a teacher to evaluate but if we tested, does the star set it up and notify you or do you have to do it all yourself? In AR where we've been until this year, they send a notice each year and all 3rd through 8th grade go test with other homeschoolers at designated locations.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:41 pm

As for location, I have family in Ocoee, Winter Garden, Minniola, Mascott, Clermont, ...so it will be someone around those areas. Most likely Lake county.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:01 pm

I think you are supposed to keep a list of textbooks/books read or used to go along with the portfolio. I don't necessarily follow the state's requirements since we are registered with the private school. Yes, you send in your 'notice of intent to homeschool', then if/when you stop homeschooling you send in a 'termination of program' form, that's it.

Since I am a part of a local homeschooling group we do testing through them. It's set up and all we have to do is sign up and be there on the testing days. We have the option to fill out another form and they will send the test results directly to the district, with a phone call first if there is a problem (scores have to meet a certain percentile here, so a call is made to the parent by a leader if they do not). We don't fill out the form now since we are with the private school, but our first year back here we did and it was nice to know it was taken care of for me. I don't really know what others do who are not associated with a group. :? Your test results then arrive in your mailbox within 4-6 weeks. Of course, different counties and different homeschool groups will do things slightly different, but as far as the law it's the same across the state.

We lived in NY for 2 of our homeschooling years. There was lots of paperwork, so now the little we need to do here seems like nothing! I now say, "If I can homeschool in NY, I can homeschool anywhere!" :lol:

Good luck with your move. I know it will be great to be back near family! And get involved with a homeschool group.....that will help a lot with all the legalities and learning the new way to 'report'. :wink:
Last edited by inHistiming on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Tamara,
Glad you will be back with friends and family.
I think inHistiming got it pretty well covered for record -keeping in Florida. it is really easy.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

TLCA

Post by TLCA » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:52 pm

The Florida Parent Educators Association site is another good resource for information.
The Starting Point guide is very helpful and has portfolio information.
http://www.fpea.com/about-home-schoolin ... ted-guide/

The complete Guide to Homeschooling has more information on different options for homeschoolers (registering with the county/state, being a part of an umbrella/private school, etc.). It is a members only guide or I think it can be purchased separately....(I just looked and it can be purchased, but I think $20 is a lot for what you get. You can get the information locally once you move or for free if you join FPEA at some point.)

HTH too. :)
-Kim
CTC w/DD 10
Our Homeschool Blog