Thinking about DITHOR again....:)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LeAnna

Thinking about DITHOR again....:)

Post by LeAnna » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:51 pm

We had stopped DITHOR for a little while.... Now, I'm looking back at it again... and wondering if we should try it again.:) It looks so thorough and has comprehension plus all the literary studies that I can't find anywhere else... and we can choose our own books, which i absolutely LOVE!

Anywho, wanted to check on the levels again and see what level I should use for my kiddos. One will be going into 4th, and is reading well. Another will be going into 3rd. Both are reading equally well. In fact, my younger tends to spell things for my older, lol, which doesn't make her too happy. :lol:

I can't remember if level 2 was for 2nd, level 3 for 3rd, etc.???

Thank you!
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

Kathleen

Re: Thinking about DITHOR again....:)

Post by Kathleen » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:31 pm

If you're using it for the 1st time basically, I'd definitely go with level 2/3. Then you can choose whatever level books are right for the girls. Grant used level 2/3 for 3rd grade and 4th grade. And then 4/5 for 5th and this year for 6th. You can use the 4/5 book packs with the 2/3 student plans - we did that.

I think that the main difference between level 2/3 and 4/5 is that with 4/5 they will have more days when they're filling out a page in the student book whereas with 2/3 there are more days where they're having a discussion with you after the reading. I think that it would give a better intro to the different story elements and character qualities to at least have a year with 2/3.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

LeAnna

Re: Thinking about DITHOR again....:)

Post by LeAnna » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Thank you, Kathleen! That was very helpful.:) I already have 2/3 level books, so we just do that then.:) I think for my sake, since the girls generally do everything at the same level, it may be easier on my part, to just have them do the same level. I just couldn't remember for sure.:)
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!