english and dictation question...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LeAnna

english and dictation question...

Post by LeAnna » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:21 pm

I haven't been on here awhile, so I can't remember exactly the ideal schedule for the English books. Would someone be so kind as to share the schedule that Carrie has recommended? Also, we are about 3/4 of the way through Bigger dictation, and I imagine we will be done with it in January... the girls are flying through it!... Is there a different set of dictation that is in Preparing, and what could I use to fill that gap until next year?

Thank you so much! :D
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

Kathleen

Re: english and dictation question...

Post by Kathleen » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:37 pm

HOD reccommends completing R&S 6 by 8th grade. This is the way that it has worked for us, but I'm sure there are others who have ended up at different places with the English and it works too.

3rd grade - R&S 2 (Bigger)
4th grade - R&S 3 (Preparing)
5th grade - 1st half of R&S 4 (CTC)
6th grade - 2nd half of R&S 4 (RTR)
7th grade - R&S 5 (Rev to Rev)
8th grade - R&S 6 (MTM)

There are more dictation passages in Preparing. Not sure what to tell you to do until you get there - someone else will have to help you out on that one. :wink:

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Okay, that was what i was kind of thinking.... I remembered that Carrie thought be done with the 6th book by the end of 8th grade. But, I am visual, so seeing a schedule is helpful. Thank you!:)
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi LeAnna! :D Kathleen already did a super job of answering your question about English, so I'll answer the dictation part. Three levels of dictation are provided in PHFHG - Levels 2, 3, and 4. Level 2 is the same as the Level 2 in BHFHG. Riley finished Level 2 in the middle of BHFHG. I just moved him into Level 3 in PHFHG. I personally think it is important to keep dc moving along in dictation. The planned progression of the dictation in HOD is very incremental, and substituting any old dictation passage for the next level will not achieve the same results. As there are 3 levels of dictation starting in PHFHG, this would be the only year that you would need to get the next guide for the next dictation. I cannot say enough praise for dictation done HOD's way. Wyatt was not a good speller, and now is testing far above his grade level in spelling. Riley was a good speller from the start, and he is moving along like crazy with his PHFHG's dictation. Best of all - it's causing them to have excellent spelling in their own writing. I'd do whatever you can to keep that flow of learning going. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 am

Thank you! I will have to order the next book then. :D I LOVE HOD's dictation!!! My girls are progressing so well, and have really become much more aware of when to add capital letters and punctuation. :D