How much copywork?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krazzymommy

How much copywork?

Post by krazzymommy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:13 pm

Ugh, I know I just saw this asked on here. At the time I saw it there were no responses, but now I can't find the thread! My son is in Beyond, and I'd like to know what is the typical number of sentences that other first graders are doing for copywork? If you could let me know or point me to another thread that discusses this, I'd be appreciative. I'm happy with what he is doing, but I'd like to make sure that he's not way behind.

Thank you!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

countrymom

Re: How much copywork?

Post by countrymom » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:01 am

The poems (which are the main copywork) really vary in length. Most parents judge according to their child's ability and gradually increase. There are other writing assignments here and there, but the poems are the main part. I started out with one line a day but was able to quickly increase to two lines a day (my son was an early writer, my other son will be different). From there I slowly worked up until my son could copy the whole poem in the week most of the time. Because children's fine motor skills are all over the board with the younger ages, it would be really hard to say a set amount of work should be expected at this age.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:05 am

We just started Beyond a few weeks ago with my dd who is about to be 7. I have her do one line a day right now. I think she could do two lines fairly easily, but she balks if things get slightly difficult, so I'd rather it be easier where she can concentrate better.

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:12 am

Great! I just wanted to make sure that he wasn't supposed to be copying the entire poem everyday or anything like that. Sounds like we are in just the right place! Thank you!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:26 am

At first I thought that my DD should be copying the whole poem in a week. We got to a pretty long one and she just cried and it was really difficult and that's when I decided (along with seeing that the more she was required to do, the sloppier her work got) that it would probably be best to just have her do the same amount every day, and increase it as she showed that she was getting better at it. Julie had a good comment on one of my posts that its exercise for the hand, and once it gets easier and smoother it isn't such a big deal for the child to do more lines.

On the 12 line poems she can now do the whole poem in a week, we will see once we get to a longer one again.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Tracee

Post by Tracee » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:47 pm