Didn't Carrie say.....?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
SMiles

Didn't Carrie say.....?

Post by SMiles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:28 am

Hi folks,
Dd is in Preparing and she is getting more and more where she enjoys reading. :P Didn't Carrie say that if they can do the reading on their own, they should? DD is quite capable so I just wanted to make sure before I let her go too much further.

Thanks,
Sherry
Sherry~Married to dh for 19 years!

DS14~Rev2Rev with extensions, Saxon math & Dithor~
DD12~CTC with extensions, Saxon math & Dithor~

We have used Beyond, Preparing, CTC, and RTR!!

sharonb

Re: Didn't Carrie say.....?

Post by sharonb » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:07 pm

I don't know if Carrie said that or not, but Charlotte Mason did. I believe CM wanted children reading everything on their own by about age 9.

My oldest (age 9) loves to read, and is quite capable of doing all of her own reading. But, I still read the history aloud to her. Even though she is capable of doing it herself, she still enjoys being read to. We are in Preparing too, and we do it as the guide directs: I read the "T" boxes, I help them as-needed on the "S" boxes, and they do the "I" boxes independently.

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Didn't Carrie say.....?

Post by Carrie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Sharon's right! :D I did say that and CM did too! :D With that in mind, if your child is 9 or above and is able to read her own material, you can definitely move in that direction. Just be sure to keep doing the follow-ups with her from the guide to make sure she's comprehending. :D Preparing is a "bridge" guide where you can go either way with the history readings. It is fine to be reading them aloud, and it is also fine to have your child read them if he/she fits the requirements above. :D

Blessings,
Carrie