Preparing science- the "Key Idea" gives away the answer.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sharonb

Preparing science- the "Key Idea" gives away the answer.

Post by sharonb » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:33 am

This morning my dc are working on their science from Unit 3 of Preparing. I was looking at the guide and it occurred to me that if they read the whole box, the Key Idea reveals the answer to the question. With this particular experiment, I'm not that concerned about it, because I think they are already familiar enough with the concept, plus they told me that their reading selection from Arctic Tundra gave the answer anyway.

Here's what I'm wondering- in future units, will it be helpful to cover up the Key Idea so they can form a hypothesis on their own? I'm wondering if some of the experiments won't be so obvious, and I really want them to think about their "guess", rather than reading it straight from the key idea!

(I realize I can read ahead in the guide and find this out for myself, but I do like to hear from people who have already used the program in its entirety!)

tnahid

Re: Preparing science- the "Key Idea" gives away the answer.

Post by tnahid » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:43 pm

Hmmm....good point. I am currently making copies of the TM and putting them in a binder for my son's to do independently. I just highlight the boxes which I want them to do for that day. It might be good if I black out the key idea on theirs, but of course, can still see it in my book.

Thanks for these thoughts!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:51 pm

Just giving this post a little bump :)
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

annaz

Post by annaz » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:58 am

Well first, dd didn't realize the Key Ideas were the answer :shock: . When she did, I started blacking them out. I think they are the answer in sort of a general sense. So if I forgot to black it out, then I told her her answer better not be the Key Idea listed word for word. :twisted:
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock: