Are there any necessary skills required for LHFHG?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krazzymommy

Are there any necessary skills required for LHFHG?

Post by krazzymommy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:46 am

I am thinking of using LHFHG for my K'er next year. She hasn't really been interested in school yet and we do about 5 min. of phonics instruction each day. (She knows sounds of letters and is actually a decent reader for a 4yo.) Will she be fine going into LHFHG? Or do I need to work with her this year on letter formation? I'd prefer not to, but I also am pretty sure that LHFHG is where I want her next year...

Thanks!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

Tidbits of Learning

Re: Are there any necessary skills required for LHFHG?

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:51 pm

I don't think your child needs to be writing in order to start LHFHG. I think the placement chart really is where to look for whether your dc will be ready for it.
*Ready for phonics instruction
*Ready to learn formal manuscript printing
*Use oral language skills to prepare for grammar study
*Ready for formal introduction to math concepts with daily hands-on math practice

My 4.5 year old started LHFHG this year and he definitely hadn't been writing letters prior and is doing well.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

krazzymommy

Re: Are there any necessary skills required for LHFHG?

Post by krazzymommy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Thank you, I think it sounds like a perfect fit for her. :)
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!