Math Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krazzymommy

Math Question

Post by krazzymommy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:09 pm

I'm thinking of trying Singapore out, as suggested in our HOD Beyond guide. We're going to be on Unit 14 of Beyond, but I'm not sure if my son is going to be on the same page for math. (He'll be taking the placement test over the next few days.) If he did need to go back in math, how would we do that - would we need to match the activity/assigned page and just put a sticky on the page we're doing in math even though it's not in the same unit that we're in? Or, do we just do the "math activity" as suggested in our current unit and do whatever page he is on? I don't think this question is making sense - basically, from my understanding, the activity matches with the page they are assigned. So, we wouldn't want to do the Unit 14 activities if we're starting at the beginning of Singapore 1A, right? Or wrong? :oops:
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

pjdobro

Re: Math Question

Post by pjdobro » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:30 pm

That's right. You would do the math activity that matches the pages that you are doing in the math workbook not the activity that goes with the unit you are on in the Beyond guide. So once you figure out where he places, you would do the pages in the math workbook preceded by the math activity in the guide that goes with those pages. You can just use one of those nifty sticky tabs to mark your spot in the Beyond guide that you are at in math if it is different from the unit you are on. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:42 pm

Thank you! And thank you for understanding my question, lol.
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:26 pm

I think I'd get the math edition that matches the HOD plans, as that way if ds does need some reinforcement with hands-on activities, you'll have them already, and they'll be well-matched to the concept being taught. I like the pp's ideas of going through 1A more quickly, and then moving on to 1B. It is tougher to go back once you've forged ahead. It seems to make good sense to lay the foundation solidly, filling in any areas you see as possible gaps (i.e. missing addends and subtraction), and then moving ahead to 1B. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie