I'm going to do school in the van tomorrow!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MelInKansas

I'm going to do school in the van tomorrow!

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:07 pm

Just thought this was funny and felt like sharing. You can pray for me too, that we have safety while driving.

The plan is to record myself reading the read-aloud portions of the school lessons for tomorrow (Unit 13 day 1 in Beyond). Write up the card for the new memory verse and discuss that in the van. So I can get history, storytime, reading the poem of the week, and Bible Study done in the van. We'll probably also do AWANA. Before we leave for our day trip I will do ER, copywork, LA, math, and we will leave the rotating box (science tomorrow) for the afternoon after we get home and put my 2YO down for her nap. I hope it goes well!

As I am looking at taking a long break from school after my baby is born, and the reason we are on our roadtrip tomorrow is twofold - one for my birth center appointment, and for hair appointments with my mother-in-law because all 3 girls are in a wedding this coming weekend. I figured I just didn't want to skip a whole day, and I didn't want to have the majority of our schoolwork left to do after we got home (which will probably be around 2:00).
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

sharonb

Re: I'm going to do school in the van tomorrow!

Post by sharonb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:13 pm

Recording yourself is a great idea!

We've done lots of school in the van before, especially last year when I was pregnant and had birth center appointments 90 minutes away. Then in the spring dh and ds had quite a few medical appointments, so I would always try to take at least some of our schoolwork with us. It was especially nice on warm, sunny days, because we could sit outside. (One doctor's office had a picnic table outside.)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Oh yeah we can totally do some in the waiting room too, great idea! I never know how long it will be but we usually have a little time. My birth center is a 60 minute drive, and I don't always take the kids with me just for my own sake, but since we have to go see MIL about the hair...
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:13 pm

WOW! You are much more ambitious than I am!! :) Way to go! But I can understand you wanting to get as much school as you can before baby comes! Let us know how it goes!!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:35 pm

It went really well, so well that I'm debating whether to try the same thing again on Friday, or just call school off on Friday because we have to make a 2 hour drive that day and we haven't really decided when we are leaving yet. Or - finish up on the little bit of work from today that we didn't get done and the one thing from yesterday and call it good, that's probably what I will do on Friday.

The girls enjoyed listening to the CD of me reading so much they asked to listen to it again on the way back home. It kind of put me to sleep though :P .
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm glad it went well!! We haven't been doing school on fridays at all, although this week we might because we didn't do HOD on monday. My DD really wanted to do halloween crafts! :roll:
Oh well, we had fun!! And I don't know if I would like to listen to a recording of myself at all! Wierd!! :)
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:44 pm

I know, it was really strange to listen to myself but not as bad as I thought. I usually hate hearing my voice on answering machines or anything like that, it sounds so wrong to me. I tried to have fun and put emotion and good pauses into the reading, which is how I try to read anyway, so it turned out pretty good. The thing I was amazed at was I didn't have to record several times! There were a couple of mistakes and other background noises, but it wasn't bad at all.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven