LHFHG burgess animal stories

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
roseannvj

LHFHG burgess animal stories

Post by roseannvj » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:44 am

I am considering switching to LHFHG from another company mid-year. I already own the Burgess animal stories. I am wondering if there are many different versions of these books, and if mine are a different version, if that is going to make a struggle for following along with the guide. I also have all of the Beatrix Potter stories, but I KNOW they are in a different format than the book that comes with the package for this curriculum. I need clear instructions for how/what to teach, so this is important to me. Anyone have experience here? Thanks!
Roseann
Res2Ref- 12 & 13 y/o
PHFHG - 10y/o
BHFHG - 8y/o
LHTH - 5 yr old

krismoose

Re: LHFHG burgess animal stories

Post by krismoose » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:04 am

Hi! I don't think there are different versions of the Burgess stories - we used Reddy Fox available free online before the rest of our books arrived and it was fine. The guide schedules the Burgess ones by chapter, I believe. *Someone correct me if I'm remembering wrong :)* I think the main difference with the Beatrix Potter stories is that the Dover version doesn't have many illustrations, and it's more challenging to listen to those stories and answer questions without the pictures. I know that one of the goals of the Storytime section is to start teaching listening and narration skills for stories with few pictures. That being said, the language in those stories was more challenging for my ds to understand than the Burgess stories, so a few extra pictures wouldn't have hurt :lol: . I think you'd be fine with what you have. The Potter stories are scheduled last, so you could always pick up that book somewhere else later.
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:24 am

If you mean the actual titles like Reddy Fox, Grandfather Frog, etc. then I think you would be fine. There is a book called Animal Stories by Thornton Burgess that is different and that wouldn't line up. I already had another Beatrix Potter book also and used it when we did LHFHG and it worked out well. I don't remember it being difficult to line in up. We had such a fun year with LHFHG. I'm sure you will too! Welcome to HOD! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Ditto what the others said. If you have the separate stories, then its just laid out by chapter. I had Beatrix Potter already and we read the version I had and I don't remember having any difficulty figuring out what to read.

I guess we read Beatrix Potter with too many pictures :P .
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven