Confused...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
montanamom

Confused...

Post by montanamom » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:22 pm

I really enjoy HOD and chose it for it's Bible-based, hands-on, short style of learning. My oldest dd used LHFHG last yr and did very well. She is now 7 and we are on unit 11 of Beyond. She started out enjoying it but over the last few units she has begun saying she doesn't like 'school'. We are following the guide as written (with the emerging readers) and the only other things we have added to her day is music practice and 5-10 min. of another math program. When asked what she doesn't care for, her main complaint is the extra math, answering the Bible/storytime/reading questions and reading out loud. The math part we can drop (no big deal), but the answering questions and reading part confuses me. She is able to read up to a 4th-5th grade level, passed a 3rd grade reading comprehension test and loves reading silently. But, when reading out loud she 'mumbles' and reads so softly that I can sometimes hardly hear her even though she is sitting right next to me.

So what could the problem be? Attitude? Not placed correctly??

I did a trial day of worksheets and she said she liked it better, even though it took longer and was lots more writing. She also said she liked the independence of having a pile of worksheets to work through.

So my questions are: do some kids just do better with a workbook style of learning? Would it work for me to let her have the teachers guide and her do most of it independently? Could she write out the answers to the Bible/reading/storytime questions? Does anybody have any ideas on encouraging a child who is reluctant to read out loud?

Pam
DD 9- CTC + violin
DS 6- BLHFHG
DD 4 - LHTH
DD 2 y/o.

krismoose

Re: Confused...

Post by krismoose » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:03 pm

My ds has said the same thing when I've asked him what he thinks about school :D! I've just been very specific about how much he'll be reading aloud, and I don't ask him to do any more than I've said. Sometimes I let him read the questions out of the guide and answer them orally to me. I've also told him that answering some questions out loud is part of school, and so he just has to do his best. I've also had to train myself to refrain from asking him any additional questions. I think I wanted to follow rabbit trails that he did not :wink: . My ds is definitely a more visual learner than auditory, so I try to take that into account over all, allowing him to use his strengths (visual) at times, while also building his weaker areas (auditory). For example, I'm letting him do a grammar workbook with the bare minimum of me teaching, because he just remembers it better, and it was more enjoyable to him than answering more questions. It works for now, anyhow. :wink:
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:40 am

I'm sorry that your dd is struggling somewhat right now. :( It's interesting that she liked LHFHG last year but isn't liking Beyond. They are similar in style. It can be difficult for some dc to read out loud or answer questions out loud. I'm wondering if she is a perfectionist? Sometimes those dc are afraid of getting the wrong answer and are unsure exactly of what is being asked of them so they feel uncomfortable. The questions that go with the Bible, storytime, and emerging readers are all higher level thinking questions so they require a lot of your dd to answer them. The learning involved with them goes so much deeper than a worksheet where just selecting the one right answer is all that is required. I would try to encourage your dd that these are difficult questions, there isn't just one pat answer, and it's ok if she is unsure. If she is a perfectionist then being wrong is probably one of her biggest fears and that is making her uncomfortable. So perhaps some encouragement in this area and letting her know exactly what you expect would help. With the reading aloud, it is important to become a good out loud reader. I know there are more skills involved in reading aloud than reading silently but even without that just being able to read in a crowd later in life is a valuable skill. So I would persist with the emerging readers. Perhaps you could go over with her the qualities of a good reader that are listed in the appendix with her to help her. Then just work on one quality at a time.

I know worksheets are easier to do and perhaps your dd likes them better now, but they don't have the same depth of learning that she will get in HOD. The thinking skills that she will gain in doing the activities that are difficult for her are valuable, and she will continue to grow in this area and develop. I know we want to teach to the strengths of our dc, but we can't ignore their weaknesses in doing so or those areas will never improve. Though we all have a preferred way of learning and doing things there are often times in life where we are called upon to use our skills that don't come naturally and then we have to dig a little deeper and stretch ourselves in those areas. Hopefully some other ladies can give you more specifics to help you get her through this rough area, but I just wanted to encourage you that the skills being learned are valuable and worth hanging in there. :D
Last edited by pjdobro on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:26 am

I was going to post yesterday but didn't have the time and now I see that pjdobro has posted everything I was going to say. :D You might be seeing the behavior more now because Beyond is a step up and your dd may be getting more outside of her comfort zone. I would take it slow and allow little baby steps in improvement with lots of encouragement. I think with time your dd will adjust.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:26 am

As far as reading outloud goes...my daughter DID NOT like it when we began the E.R.s. She did fine when she read the Reading Lesson book to me, but reading "real" books was a harder hurdle to overcome. In my case I know she is a perfectionist. She fought me hard for the first week about even reading, then as she was beginning to comply better (finally!) I could begin to help her througb her reading skills. I only focused on one skill at a time (otherwise she felt discouraged and we would be back to square one again) Before she would begin reading I would help her sit composed so that her words wouldnt get swallowed, then the first (and only thing) I required was that she spoke up louder. Mine also is very quiet when she reads. As she got more comfortable shhe began to have better voice changes even, with questions and such. But my main issues that I worked woth her on were: speaking up, slowing down, pausing appropriately and voice changes. I really tried to keep it encouraging, unless she flat out refused. But I would tell her before she began...ok, today we are going to really try hard to slow down as we read, etc.

As for comprehention, LHFHG really has helped her a lot. But again, she is so cautious of being wrong that I had to work hard to make her feel comfortable and safe to share her answer. She is really coming out of her shell and its exciting to see. My dauhter would also feel much more comfortable doing workbooks, but I feel confident that this style of learning is much deeper and has better retention for the long haul. ;-)

Hope that helps a lil. :-)
Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:42 pm

Yeah it kind of sounds like for her the workbook pages are "comfortable" and "safe." Discussion with someone else is different, plus she might get immediate feedback from you about her answer, or she just might not feel confident. I have to say, the questions asked in Beyond are a lot harder, and are really thinking questions for the children to answer! We just started unit 12 of Beyond so we are in the same place you are. I like someone's suggestion about making sure she knows that this is just discussion about ideas, there isn't a totally right or totally wrong answer, and it shows that she really understands the reading. It will help her in thinking about what she reads, and she can read and talk to other people about what she's reading. I don't know if that would be encouraging for her or not :) .

If she can easily read well above the level of Emerging Readers either you do need to just encourage her that reading out loud is a good skill she will like having (is there anyone else in your family she can read to that she might find to be a fun activity? I actually have my 6.5 YO read to her younger sisters and she thinks that is super cool.) Our library has "read to a dog" on Sundays for kids who are working on reading aloud... we stumbled upon it one day and there wasn't anyone in there with the dog so my DD got to go love on the dog and she read just a little bit, but maybe if your DD might respond to that? I guess I would just try to search out why she is so reluctant to read aloud, and work on encouraging her in that area. I do this with my DD sometimes, and the sometimes I discover that it really is an attitude thing, or she is very worried about a very little thing and I try to calm those fears, tell her she can trust in the Lord and He will give her the strength to do the things she doesn't want to do, and I try to push her forward. I don't know if this is helpful or too vague, but I do hope you can figure it out!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

montanamom

Post by montanamom » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Thank-you all for the encouragement and ideas! :) DD knows that she has to do even the things she doesn't care for and she cooperates, but if I can make some changes to make it more enjoyable for her I'd like to try. She tends to do better with things she doesn't care for when there has been an explanation as to 'why' she needs to do it, so I now plan to explain to her that reading out loud is kinda the next step in reading and one that is neccessary for later in life (i.e. when she wants to read to her kids, etc.). Yes, perfectionism could be part of the issue...I had thought of that and tried to explain that these questions don't necessarily have a right/wrong answer, but are more for 'discussion'...I'll keep trying to emphasize that for awhile. It was also good to be reminded to stick to only the questions in the book...sometimes I add in an extra thought or two which may be to much for her right now. Another good idea was to have her read to her baby sister...she has done that a few times and actually read louder & clearer...so we'll have to encourage more of that! :idea: Most importantly you all have reminded me not to just teach to her strengths but to her weakness also and to focus on the long term goals rather than just 'todays' comfort level!
DD 9- CTC + violin
DS 6- BLHFHG
DD 4 - LHTH
DD 2 y/o.