What my 4 yo does that gains me 1 hour of teaching time

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Re: What my 4 yo does that gains me 1 hour of teaching time

Post by my3sons » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:40 pm

Oh, thanks, quiverfull! :D These were fun days, and this rotation worked so well for my dear Emmett! I cannot believe how much he has grown since then - my, time flies! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: What my 4 yo does that gains me 1 hour of teaching time

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:08 am

my3sons wrote:I wanted my 4 yo to have an independent play time, so he could learn some independence (as he's always with his big brothers), and so I could have more uninterrupted teaching time with my olders. I've tried this in the past, but he just didn't stick with whatever I'd set out for him for more than 15 minutes. Last week I tried setting up different activities for him to rotate through... and success! :D He happily played for an hour right away. I honestly couldn't believe it. I think he just needed some variety and an order of what to do. I think this would work well for a child who understands the order of numbers, and who is around 3-6 years old. :D

I picked a safe room that is near us but not RIGHT by us. We have a large entry room just off our kitchen we have childproofed, so that worked well for us. I numbered big index cards and folded them in half to tent them. I started with 5, but have now used up to 7. I chose 5-7 varied activities for him to work through. I started with a few short activities that have a definite end to them. For example, #1 was a puzzle, and #2 was a card for him to practice writing his name once. These were at his little table and chairs.

I picked a building activity for #3. For example, magnatiles. I sectioned off a spot for it on a blanket and put the #3 tent card by it...

A book on tape was #4, and I designated a spot for that with his little chair. I also put headphones there, so my middle ds wouldn't be distracted by the story...

#5 was something active again that he could play with, like his construction set, and I sectioned that off with another blanket...

#6 was a set of books he had not seen before, sectioned off by his bean bag chair and blanket...

I told him to start with card #1, do the activity, turn over the card when he was done, and move on to #2. I turned on his LHTH's Singing Bible CD for him, and away he went. :D I checked on him a few times and snapped a few pics...
Image Image

By the fourth day of doing this, he headed right in there all on his own after I'd done phonics and LHTH with him. I was putting away his LHTH tub and wondering where he had disappeared to, and there he was happily putting together his puzzle at center #1. :D I change out the things, but in general, #1 is always a short puzzle type activity, #2 is a short fine motor skill type activity, #3 is always something more active to play with on a blanket, #4 is always a different book on tape in his little arm chair, #5 is always something more active to play with on a different blanket, #6 is always different books in his bean bag chair, and if there is a #7, it's something active. Wyatt likes to help me set up this or that for it too. I set it up right before we eat breakfast, so it's all ready to go. It takes me about 5-10 minutes to set it up, as I've put things near there for handy access. I also put a few stuffed animals at various centers, as he loves his buddies. :D Last time, it had been over an hour and I said it was time to play with his brother (which he LOVES), and he said with his hands on his hips, "But I'm not done yet! I still have #6 and #7 to do, and I really wanted to do them!" :shock: "Okay, okay, 10 more minutes, and then that's it," I said, thinking 'could I possibly having to LIMIT this time now?!?' :lol: Anyway, here are a few more pics I snapped to give some ideas...
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

I think it is important to choose things that they know how to do. So this isn't the time for puzzles or coloring or writing skills that may be too hard for them. It also helps to change out the books, toys, and activities, choosing things they can be successful with. I just let him move on to the next one whenever he wants to. Sometimes he is at one center for a very short time, but that's alright, as he's at the next one longer. It all works out. Anyway, I just thought I'd share this as it has been a wonderful help in our home! :D If you are blessed enough to have a naturally independent child that just plays on his/her own with things, than this may not be necessary. But if you have a child that needs a little help in this area, this may work for you too! :D I'd love to know if you try it - it is my prayer that this could help some fellow busy homeschooling moms like yourselves. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie