Singapore Math 4A "Set-square?" What do you use?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
doubleportion

Singapore Math 4A "Set-square?" What do you use?

Post by doubleportion » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:15 pm

I had to look up what the book meant by a "set-square". I figured that it is actually maybe what I know as a t-square. What did you use when the textbook said to use a set-square and draw perpendicular lines? I am inclined to just have my dd use the protractor but not sure if I should actually buy another tool instead? What are your experiences?

Edie
Last edited by doubleportion on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dd 13 -Rev2Rev (enjoyed PHFHG, CTC, RTR)
ds 8 -Beyond
ds 6 LHFHG & ds 2 & ds 6 months
4 waiting for us with Jesus

pjdobro

Re: Singapore Math 4A "Set-square"

Post by pjdobro » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Edie, you've got me scratching my head here trying to remember what we did! :oops: Though I have a t-square around here somewhere, I know I didn't get it out for our math last spring. I'm thinking what I did is use 2 triangles or a triangle and a ruler. We have a little drafting/geometry kind of set that has the semi-circle protractor, a compass, a ruler, an equilateral triangle, and a right triangle. If you use the ruler or one of the sides of the equilateral triangle as your base and then put the square cornered side of the right angle triangle on it, you have your own t-square set-up for drawing perpendicular lines. I'm thinking that is the way we did it. I don't even remember it saying "set -square". I must have quickly surmised that I didn't have one and improvised. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

my3sons

Re: Singapore Math 4A "Set-square?" What do you use?

Post by my3sons » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:35 am

Hi Edie! :D I'm with pjdobro - I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right either. I think I used a wooden block with square corners or a square coaster, but I could be way off. What unit, day, page number, etc. is it? Maybe that will jog my memory. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

doubleportion

Post by doubleportion » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:44 pm

It is Singapore 4A Textbook Unit 6 (starts around pg 78). I just had her use a protractor for the work on pg 80. I think I may order a geometry set just to have a set square on hand anyway. My dd is not visual and following the line up to the degree number is not always easy for her. She had no problem doing it with a protractor, but we did have to work together more than one time on it. Set squares are called for allot through out Unit 6. We will be getting into pgs 81 and on this next week. Maybe it is just me, but I don't remember doing geometry in elementary school like that. :shock: Times sure have changed.

Edie
ds 8 -Beyond

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks for this thread! :) We'll get to that unit in a week or so, and now I know I need to order a geometry set right quick. :)
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

Melena

Post by Melena » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:17 pm

We just finished the exercises requiring a "set square" this week. We used a piece of sturdy card stock. It did the job just fine. HTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:15 am

Melena wrote:We just finished the exercises requiring a "set square" this week. We used a piece of sturdy card stock. It did the job just fine. HTH
This is what we did too! :D I think this works just fine, and I saw my ds grab an index card the next time he had to check for a square corner. I like this, as it's a visual that he can use even during standardized testing, or whatever setting he happens to be in when needing to check for a square corner. :D However, if you want to get the special set-square you surely could too, and of course, that would be 100% accurate. :D However, much of math is done on the fly, and realizing there are square corners all around isn't all bad either. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

doubleportion

Post by doubleportion » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:16 pm

Such a good point about grabbing an every day item to use as the set square. Wish I thought of that. :oops: I will point it out to my dd.
Thank you ladies!!

Edie
ds 8 -Beyond