Question About Singapore Math Review Lessons

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happy@home

Question About Singapore Math Review Lessons

Post by happy@home » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Should I expect my dc to complete the "Review" lessons in 2a without any help from me? I gave them the assignment today and told them they should be able to complete it without any help. They both ended up in tears! :oops: Am I wrong?

We went over the math together and once I began to explain things they were able to complete the work. Should we stop now and review what they couldn't do without my help? Or do we continue on without additional review? I don't want to not review if we should, but I don't want to expect more than I should if this will be presented again later on in their math.

Thanks for your help!!

Robbin
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG
We have completed: LHFHG & BLHFHG

"For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me and guide me."

kamariden

Re: Question About Singapore Math Review Lessons

Post by kamariden » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:29 pm

I haven't done 2a so hopefully others with more experience will chime in, but just from a personal standpoint I would agree with you. If they can't complete a review without help, they may need to do some additional work on those subjects to be sure they really understand them before moving on. If it were me, I'd go back over the previous lessons and try some additional hands-on work and practice wherever they were weak. Then I'd have then try the review again and see if they were better able to complete it without help. The exception to this, for me, would be if they only needed an explanation of what was expected - if they needed clarification of the instructions - but were then able to do the work themselves. I would consider that good enough to move on.

Again, I don't have a ton of Singapore experience yet, so these are just my opinions and what I would do for my children. Hope it helps!
-K
Happily Married to Luke since 2001
Ethan - doing LHFHG part time, will begin BLHFHG fulltime Jan. 2012
Quintin - doing part time LHTH.
Liam - studying the art of annoying his brothers and taking out anything that has been put away. (toddler)

Kristin

Post by Kristin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 am

I found that my children could not complete the review lessons without my help. In the lessons they would only be doing one type of probelm at a time, whereas in the review they not only had to remember how to do all the types of problems, they also had to determine which type of problem each one was. So we always work on the reviews together and then go on to the next lesson.
DD 11/90 Graduated
DD 2/93 Graduated
DS 2/02 CTC
DD 7/02 CTC
DS 8/03 CTC
DD 10/03 CTC
DD 7/07 LHFHG

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:33 am

Having completed through 6 B and moved into algebra with one child and being in 5 A and 4 A with 2 other children these are my thoughts. If a child can't complete it the child needs to go back and review the material until they understand it well enough that they can 1.) recognize what is being asked, and 2.) complete it without your assistance. The exceptions of course being if you need to "read" a problem to a child who is not reading strongly. I use the reviews now to discern if we are ready to move ahead, if not, we do short reviews daily until they grasp it. This extra time really pays off in the long run, otherwise you'll find that they will "learn" to lean on you to get them through every page of math.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:35 pm

I agree with Florence. I feel like the reviews are there to make sure that the dc have learned the concepts of the previous days. My dc do the reviews alone. There has been an occasional time that one problem might throw them a bit. When that is the case we do it together and review the concepts that problem entails. I think the reviews are a good indicator of whether or not the dc have grasped the concepts. :D

ETA: 2A was the book where we had to slow down a bit. Those concepts seem to take a while to sink in, so we did extra hands on, more problems, etc. until my dc had the concepts and were ready to move on.
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:06 am

Thank you, ladies, so much for your comments. I really felt like my dc should be able to do the review without my help, but sometimes I just need to be sure that I am not expecting too much of them. Especially when I get tears from them both. :oops: I just love that I can come here and ask questions when I am unsure of myself and someone who is farther down the road can give me advice. It is like having a host of teachers to go to for help!! :D

May God richly bless you for giving of your time to help someone else!!

Robbin
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG

"For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me and guide me."

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:46 am

Very good discussion here! :D You definitely don't want tears over math. I think the reviews cover a LOT of concepts, especially as dc get older. Yes, they are concepts that have been covered, but sometimes it takes a bit to jog dc's memories. I try to have the dc work through all of the Review (or Practice) problems that they can independently, skipping any they are unsure how to approach. Then, I come and help "jog" their memory for those they skipped, usually it is just a few. I don't specifically tell them HOW to get to the answer, but I may help with the meaning of a word, i.e. multiples (or have them look it up in a dictionary). Or I may say, remember the "bars" we did to figure these out? If they are having difficulty doing the bulk of the review, then it may be time to slow down and review concepts. But if they are having difficulty with just a handful of problems or with the idea that they are without help, I think that could be chalked up to being overwhelmed, test anxiety, or just needing a little "jogging" of the memory by dear mom. :wink: I think it is just one more opportunity to give little tips of how to mentally think through solving a problem. Singapore math is rigorous. The reviews are hard. I think it is fine to offer a little help, especially to a teary-eyed little one. :wink: We have always done this, and our dc score highly on their standardized testing in math, when there is no help at all. Every mom has to decide how much help is too much help for sure, and I agree reviews should be more independent, but this little amount of helping during those has worked well for our dc. They still love math and are thriving with Singapore, so that is worth something too. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:51 pm

Great discussion! The longer I've taught the more I've found that it is alright to come alongside my kiddos and help them as much as needed, as long as I am expecting independence in the problems/concepts that they know how to do well. I'll clarify what I mean by saying that if a child isn't able to do what is being asked of him/her, it is find to partner with the child and help him/her talk through the process until he/she is able to reach the answer with your help and guidance. :D

Singapore is one of those programs that only reviews intermittently. So, when a review comes up it is likely that it will have been quite some time since the child has been faced with the problem. At that point, it's fine to jump in and give guidance, direction, and hand-holding. :D There is nothing wrong with the approach that the moms in this thread shared who used the review as a guide to go back and teach through concepts where their kiddos were struggling. This is a fine strategy too. However, one thing that is good to remember is that kiddos will not master all concepts on a review, but rather will master some, and other concepts they will not be ready to master until they have had them again in a future book. So, there needs to be some allowance made for that in our expectations for the review. The review is not a test, but rather a look back on what has been studied to use as a refresher. :D

Typically the only time I go back and reteach a concept from a review is if the child needs that concept to progress forward in the assignments that come after the review. Singapore has a wonderful ebb and flow, so often they switch to a new set of concepts after completing a review. In that case, I don't go back and reteach, but rather just use the review as a reteaching moment to sit with the child and help with any problems in which he/she may be struggling. The review becomes my reteaching moment then. :D

Anyway, there is no one right way to do it, but with the challenge level of the problems and concepts in Singapore, mastery can take longer but the baby steps to get there produce big results. We desire kiddos to feel that we are partnering with them as needed to help them take those baby steps. Tears are never the goal, and if kiddos have done alright up to the review, then it is possible they just need a bit of reteaching help as they complete the review to head merrily on their way. Also, feel free to half the review over two days if the reviews get too long. We do this sometimes. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Thanks so much, Julie & Carrie, for your responses. My dc will be relieved to know that it is alright for mom to still help them a little when they come to those reviews! :)

Thank you both for taking the time to reassure this mom that she's doing o.k. teaching her kiddos!

Have a blessed day,

Robbin
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:59 pm

I'm following this thread with a great amount of interest. I, personally , have found as my children are getting older their math scores on standardized test are getting lower, not better. As a result, I've spent a great deal amount of time "re-thinking" my approach with math. As a result, at our home we work hard getting concepts down and "testing" them, then prior to a review I will go over concepts with them, to make sure they "remember" what they need to do. They understand they need to complete the review without my assistance, but that if there are difficult areas then move over them and we will review that section and try again. I have in actuality raised my expectations with the reviews. I depend on the reviews to make sure they've "got it." :D It appears this effort is paying off, I'm starting to see more confidence in my children in their math and am hopeful that this will be reflected in their standardized testing. Thank you for starting a great thread it's always beneficial to see how others approach each subject area!
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:43 am

Thanks, Florence, for sharing what you do at your house. I enjoy knowing how others approach things as well.

All of the comments I received are helpful and much appreciated!!

Thanks again,

Robbin
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:19 am

I just wanted to add that we are not too far in 2A and I slowed it down and I don't think it would be unusual to have to do that, especially if your child is in the young range of the guide. The reviews are actually great because they present multiple types of problems at once, and that is the BEST way to learn (especially math). Doing a worksheet with 25-30 of the same type of problem may make it seem like the child understands the concept at the end, but throw that concept at him or her down the road with some other concepts and then the truth will come out. I have taken a middle of the road approach to the reviews. If my son does not seem to get it at all, I slow it down and do a little extra. If he needs my assistance, but more or less is doing it with some guidance, I go on. It never fails, down the road the same concept is presented and he has it down. I am more likely to do extra when we are actually in a specific area if I see he doesn't really seem to be getting it. Great thread!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:55 pm

I am thoroughly enjoying this discussion! :D There are so many different ways to approach teaching math concepts, and it is great to be able to discuss how different families handle similar situations. All families are going to be different in their approach, and I enjoy seeing the diversity of approaches! :D

One thing that struck me in this thread was deltagal's comments that she noticed standardized test scores going down in math as her kiddos get older. This is something that is actually not uncommon as kiddos grow and mature. This is because as the years pass, kiddos true areas of expertise and excellence become more readily apparent, and the areas of struggle begin to show themselves more and more (reflecting in children's test scores). :D

As the years pass, the material in each subject area becomes more and more comprehensive and the application becomes much more difficult. Math and science are two of the skill areas test-wise where you will really see changing test scores begin to happen as kiddos get older. In the younger years it isn't uncommon for many kiddos to do well in most areas on their standardized tests. As kiddos age, and the breadth and depth of content increases, this is no longer true. The gap widens between those who are truly gifted or strong in these areas to those who are not. This is why the ACT/SAT subtest scores are so meaningful to colleges, because a student's skill and academic competence in each subtest category is one indicator of a student's natural abilities. :D The middle school years are definitely years where the division begins to take place in those who excel in certain areas and those who have a harder time.

I agree that with review and practice, you can make some difference in a child's scores. I've also seen the flipside of too much review and additional practice causing frustration in some kiddos too, if repeated review and practice is taking place in an area that is already a struggle. Repetition is good, but there must be balance. This is why one answer doesn't fit all situations when it comes to how much review is enough. :D The age, maturity, and personality of the student will make a big difference on how much review is acceptable and beneficial. In the younger years, I tend to partner with the kiddos as much as needed to help them be successful. Steady progress forward is the goal. I also want to be sure kiddos don't come to feel that they are not good at math and cannot do it! As kiddos mature, I want them to move toward more independence, and I expect them to move toward more mastery. If the children in the upper levels are not retaining as much as I'd like, I'm much more willing to reteach. The varying levels of math discussed in this thread definitely make a difference in the approaches shared about review. :D So, keep this in mind as you each find what fits your family best in this area. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:37 pm

Ladies,

I too have been enjoying this thread and all the wisdom in it. Especially since both my kiddo's had math reviews this week. :mrgreen: 1A (writing number words) and 3A (long division). I had to come along side both of them at times, but once their memories were refreshed they were able to do their work. With having just read this thread, I did not fret to have to come along side them. It is so important to keep in mind that we are teaching our children, not the subject :wink: . So the child that needs an extra hand and some extra of your time can receive the coaching without us as Mom's getting into a mode of panic or frustration. :o

Also a special thanks to Carrie and Julie for taking there time and sharing their views and being such great encouragement. :D :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.