What should I do about math?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
anointedhsmom

What should I do about math?

Post by anointedhsmom » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi everyone, I'm coming to ask for help in deciding what to do with my boys for math. For the 5.5 year old we are waiting until his 1st grade year to do LHFHG :cry: so this year I've been working with him using BJU K math and phonics. It's going well but I can't wait to start him into LHFHG next year. This leaves me not sure what to do about math for him. I will be using all 1st grade options with LHFHG next year. I also really want to use Carrie's math activities with the early books of Singapore. So my question is should I go ahead and get the K Early Bird books to do with him this year and not have the activities for 1A -2B? I'm not sure about using 2 guides just to get the math activities. Would it be OK just to do the K early bird books with him next year and follow the Singapore progression in the guides? He will be 6.5 starting LHFHG and doing the Early Bird books. I'm worried that finishing BJU K math that EB will be to easy for him. Help! Can you tell I'm not sure at all what I should do about this?? :oops:

Ok for the 12 year old. Unfortunately we never had him in Singapore and I've heard it's very difficult to transition them this late. I'd love to transition him to Singapore also but just don't know if it's possible at all for him now. Any advice or opinions? I've not given him the Singapore placement test so I guess I should do that first so I'd know where to start him. I know he won't be on "grade level" with Singapore by any stretch so I was thinking that I might just do Singapore on the side and see how quickly we can really progress. Oh I'm sure that doesn't make sense. :roll: Help again ladies! I'm starting to go a bit crazy thinking it through right not.

Sorry for the rambling! I really want both in Singapore and just don't know how to make that happen!

Thanks!
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

krismoose

Re: What should I do about math?

Post by krismoose » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:29 am

I suspect that EB math will be too easy after completing BJU K. He'll probably be ready to start SM 1A. Is it the cost of buying the Beyond guide early (totally understandable) or that you don't want to be working out of 2 guides? We've had 2 guides going for math for 2 years now, and it's really not a big deal. I just keep it tabbed in a place where I'll remember to look up the activity (this took awhile, to train myself :lol: ). Do you already have the LHFHG guide?
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:22 pm

I agree, using 2 guides in order to do the math activities would not be difficult at all, just a matter of keeping your place in the Beyond guide for the math. They aren't really connected to any of the other activities, and the activities written in the guides are really easy and fun, so yes, doing them along with the math books is highly recommended!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:12 pm

After today I'm sure EB would be too easy. He saw my older sons Singapore placement test and was answering some questions off the 1A test and was answering right! :shock: I'm still trying to decide what to do with my older son too.

So if I continue BJU K this year since I already have it, is it ok for me to skip EB altogether and just begin 1A for 1st grade? My gut says it will be fine to do that but I remember those EB books with my older son and they were awesome! I might just pick them up to do on the side this year so we don't miss them. I think I can manage financially to go ahead and get the Beyond TM for the activities.

Hmmm I'm thinking that God is laughing at my well laid plans :lol:
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:56 pm

We came to Singapore later and started with 1A and that was fine. I think you can easily skip the EB books, but it probably would be fun to add them along side what you are doing now if you are able. We were doing the math activities from a guide ahead for a couple of years, and it worked out fine. It's nice because you'll have your guide ready for the next year. Then, when you get to Bigger as your guide, you'll be in one guide because starting with 3A there aren't any activities just a schedule.

As far as your older son, you could just try to through the lower levels quickly. If that doesn't work out and you find it would be too much to go back and do some of the other levels, here is a post from someone else in similar situation that might help you figure out what to do: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10503. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi Paige! You may just want to check if he's covered everything in the EB books. Otherwise, I think it sounds like you have a good plan by using the next guide for the hands-on lessons. I think they are worth it too. My dc have really had an excellent foundation in math early on due to the partnership of Singapore's math workbooks and HOD's hands-on math lessons. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm going to get the EB books and go through those with him right now and use 1A,B next year with the Beyond activities for my younger son.

Now I just have to decide for my older son. I started a new thread for that one. Feel free to give your opinions on that one :wink:
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7