Learning the 50 states?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
familymgrkendra

Learning the 50 states?

Post by familymgrkendra » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:28 am

So next year we will be doing Beyond Little Hearts for 1st Grade, LHFHG for K, and LHTH for Pre-K.

I know Pre-K and possibly K are too young to begin learning the 50 states. I am wondering at what level do you all begin teaching the 50 states. Do you have a technique or something to teach those or is it included in the guides at some level? My oldest DS is above his level in most areas and I am sure in 1st grade he would totally grasp it. I was thinking if it isn't included in Beyond, I might do my own study and cover 2 states a week. I found a couple sites online that have a very good setup for doing this.

Any help or thoughts or knowledge is appreciated!
Kendra Neal
Frugal Family Manager to:
DH-Harlin
Joshua 6yrs, Nathan 4yrs, Daniel 3yrs

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:02 am

This past thread may be of some help: 8)
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=245

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:03 am

Here's another thread that may help too! :wink:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=930

Blessings,
Carrie

familymgrkendra

Post by familymgrkendra » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:10 am

Thanks!! I guess I don't have to worry about state studies for a couple of years. :oops: :oops:
Kendra Neal
DH-Harlin

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:13 am

we have been learning about the fifty states in our friday co-op using a states unit study approach, but by no means mastering state histories!
My son has comfortably learned all states' abbreviations and capitals this year - age 7. He knew a *few* in grade one, too. You know what taught him the most? A PUZZLE! :D We also got cards from the dollar spot at Target. :D

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

familymgrkendra

Post by familymgrkendra » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:35 am

I just wanted to post that you can get an awesome awesome resource to help teach this FREE today only by signing up at Homeschool Freebie of the Day

I have found the website a couple weeks ago and have gotten some really awesome freebies already. I get a "heads up" list on Sundays exclusively for subscribers and I can tell you this weeks freebies are going to be great!! The site is hosted by the same family who runs www.homeschoolradioshows.com

HTH!!
Kendra Neal
DH-Harlin