Changing order of science in Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jen_good

Changing order of science in Bigger

Post by jen_good » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone has changed the order of the science topics in Bigger. I just realized that we won't get to the "Woods" book until winter. I was hoping to get them out in the woods when we get to this section. Would it be possible for us to either hold off on the woods until Spring or do it sooner? Is there a tie between the history and science that would make it better to do the science as scheduled?

Thank you for your help!
Jen

pjdobro

Re: Changing order of science in Bigger

Post by pjdobro » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:48 pm

The science does loosely tie into the history reading. You are doing the seashore while studying the explorers, Pioneer Sampler while studying the pioneers, Edison and the Wright Brothers during the time you are studying their time in history. The woods is studied while studying frontiersmen like Daniel Boone. I think you could change it up or you could just do it as written then in the Spring, take the book back out again and use it as a reference as you go exploring in the woods. I bet your dc will make lots of connections after having gone through the book one time already. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

mirandahoops

Re: Changing order of science in Bigger

Post by mirandahoops » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:36 am

I cannot believe this was just posted! I was on here to ask the EXACT same thing! LOL!!! We have just finished up OSS:Seashore and getting ready to move on to Science in Colonial America. My dd found the OSS:Woods book and was looking through it and begging to do it now because of the beautiful autumn weather and the changing leaves, etc. She was disappointed that it would be winter when we got to it. I thought maybe we could do both Science in Colonial America and the Woods, but that might be too much. So, I thought since there are different activities listed in the book and in the Bigger TM we could just do some of the activities out of the book, and then do the actual book as scheduled when it comes up to that time. So glad someone else had the same question! :)
Miranda
Wife to James
Mom to:
Fallyn Alexandra, 06/14/01 PHFHG +ext.
Sean Reece, 03/25/03 PHFHG +ext.
Joshua Andrew, 06/01/04 BLHFHG
Levi Jacob Henry, 08/06/10 LHTH
2 in Heaven, 08/21/11 and 02/21/12