Suggestion for adding writing to Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jen_good

Suggestion for adding writing to Bigger

Post by jen_good » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Hello.

Does anyone use a writing program in addition to Bigger?

My ds9 and dd7 are currently at Unit 5 in Bigger. After meeting with our evaluator, I realized that our school district is very heavy into creative writing and we haven't done much of that so far this year. In 1st and 3rd grade, our district has the students work through the writing process to create descriptive paragraphs, personal narratives, reports, poetry, persuasive letters, etc. My evaluator thought it would be good if we had an example of each "type" in our portfolio. Does anyone know of a program that would be good for elementary students that would cover these topics?

Thank you in advance :)

Jen

Tansy

Re: Suggestion for adding writing to Bigger

Post by Tansy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Why not take down a few oral narrations and have them copy them out.
Write a few letters to grand ma.
use the poetry exercises.
Just take what you are already doing just convert it from oral to written
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

meandmycuties

Post by meandmycuties » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Writer's Express has exactly that, and you can get the handbooks cheap on eBay.
Amy
wife to Matthew
Mom to:
B/G twins 10 y/o- Bigger
5 y/o boy- Explode the Code Online, Rod & Staff workbooks, and getting ready to start LHFHG

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Is this something you have to do? The amount of physical writing in Bigger is already quite a bit. Adding in a writing program would have been a bit much for my dc, and I don't think it is necessary.

I have just been contemplating this week how different the approach to creative writing is in HOD in comparison to our ps system here. The idea in our ps is that the dc start writing on day 1 of school. Even in kindergarten if they can't write, they have them draw in their journal and continue to push writing everyday even if the spelling and grammar are incorrect. They continue to introduce different types of writing like persuasive, narrative, etc. and give overviews of these and have the dc continue to churn out lots of examples whether they are good in structure, spelling, or grammar. The approach in HOD is quite different.

First dc learn how to read, write, and spell correctly. They start with a gentle approach to grammar. During these phases not much creative writing is done. The creative process is done physically and orally through dramatic play and oral narrations. They are exposed to good quality literature where they hear and later read well done paragraphs and stories. They start to learn the structure of language through Rod and Staff grammar. They learn literary terms and devices through DITHOR, the storytime box, and poetry study. They continue to get all of the backbones of good writing under their belt and then step by step they are guided into how to put all that knowledge into practice in their own writing.

This year in Preparing my dc are learning how to write a well structured narrative paragraph through the written narrations each week. They are learning how to write poetry through the poetry activities. They are learning more about descriptive writing through the writing activities in Rod and Staff. I have been amazed at the level of work that they have been able to produce. We've never added any other writing curriculum. They haven't been turning out paper after paper year after year, but their writing that they are doing now is really good. I think if you put them head to head with their ps peers, they would be well above average in what they are able to write. I don't think it is because they are naturally good writers either. It's because they have been taken step by step through all of the fundamentals of what makes good writing. They have been exposed to excellent examples of good writing and been given the tools to produce good quality writing.

I think the difference in approach is kind of like the difference in building a car. The ps approach is more like giving them a car already built and saying study this car and build one. HOD's approach is more like having them look at the built car, study it, use it and enjoy it for several years while teaching them how the engine works, how the drive-shaft connects, how the parts work together, etc, and then asking them to build a really good engine this year. Then next year build the frame, etc. until finally after several years they have completed a working car. It might take a lot longer to get the final result, but the final result will be a working car not a poorly, working copy.

I like Tansy's idea of trying to use the work they are already producing to turn in if you have to turn something in. Portions of their oral narrations written out would be great. As you continue in Rod and Staff this year, they will probably be writing some paragraphs plus you'll find writing activities in DITHOR and other areas as you progress through the year. If you still feel like you will have to have more examples and a writing program is essential, I know Carrie recommends Igniting Your Writing (http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into ... p#igniting) for those who are only doing DITHOR and not using one of the regular guides.

If at all possible though, I would try to hold off adding on a writing curriculum. I was concerned several years ago that I needed to add writing, and I'm so glad that I didn't. I am seeing the fruits now of several years of HOD instruction in my dc, and I'm impressed with where their writing is going. I was just thinking the other day how brilliant this method is. It is small, incremental steps that pay off big in the long run. :D

(I'm sorry this is so long. It's something that I've been pondering all this week, and it seemed like the right place to share it. :oops: )
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

jen_good

Post by jen_good » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Amy, Patty, and Tansy,

Thank you for your replies!

Amy, I'll take at look at Writer's Express - thanks :)

Tansy and Patty,
I appreciate your advice! Patty, I can completely relate to what you said re: p.s. My ds was the trial run for our district's 1st year of full day Kindergarten. He was writing 9 page stories, albeit large lined pages, by the end of the year. He really took off with writing and seemed to love it even through last year (2nd grade). He often asks me when he will get a chance to write. I've let him write stories on his own, but I dont' feel like I know how to guide a 3rd grade writer.

This is our first year homeschooling (I think I forgot to mention that :)). We started h.s. not because of any problem we had with our p.s. itself, but because we felt that God was leading us to bring them home and slow down; plus, we may have some traveling opportunities. I feel that I need to be aware of what is being covered in p.s. because I don't have a clear picture of how long our h.s. journey will be. I know that God led us here and we are very happy with H.O.D. I realize, though, that we are a little behind because we haven't benefited from doing H.O.D. from the beginning (we still have p.s. habits/ways to undo :)). If I knew that God's plan for us was to continue h.s. for several+ years, I would have no concern about the writing. I agree that there is plenty of writing in Bigger :). I'm just trying to be prepared in case God calls us to return them to p.s.

And... I don't really want another curriculum to add to the mix either. I guess I was thinking of a book that we could use once in a while to help write an example of each type of writing that is being covered in p.s.

Thank you again for your words of wisdom. I really appreciate having a place to come to ask these questions!

Jen

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:49 pm

This is our first year homeschooling (I think I forgot to mention that :)). We started h.s. not because of any problem we had with our p.s. itself, but because we felt that God was leading us to bring them home and slow down; plus, we may have some traveling opportunities. I feel that I need to be aware of what is being covered in p.s. because I don't have a clear picture of how long our h.s. journey will be.
I understand where you are coming from better now. When I started homeschooling I had the fear that I was not going to give my kids what they needed and then if they went to ps, they would be behind. I even have the first several years of the book Everything your ____grader Needs to Know. I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss anything. I felt like if I did, I would put my dc at a disadvantage. Surprisingly it's only been in the last year or two that I've stopped being concerned and this is our fifth year homeschooling! :shock: I think it's a normal fear as a new homeschooler. :)

You do have a unique situation since you think this might be the only year that you are able to homeschool. Since you want to make sure that your ds keeps up with what his peers are doing in ps this year, you might want to take a look at your state or districts objectives for 3rd grade. I have found when I have gone searching for things in our state that one can find not only what the objectives and standards are, but often times they also have syllabuses and other resources. That might help you know in what direction you need to go as far as writing and might even provide you with the extra resources you might want. If you can't find what you need there, you might want to take a look at this: http://www.homeschoolwriting.com/Youngw ... chor655159 This a free resource connected with Igniting Your Writing. It includes some tips for better writing that might help you guide your ds. I think Tansy's idea of using his oral narrations as a starting point is a really good one. You could type it out and have him copy a portion of it as a great narrative paper. You can use the tips in the Appendix for Oral Narration to guide him. For other forms of writing, you might try googling them to find good examples then try to incorporate them. For instance you could have him write a persuasive paragraph by having him pretend to be one of the English settlers in the New World who writes a letter to a friend in England persuading him to join him in the colonies. For a descriptive paragraph you could go for a nature walk, pick something interesting, and have him write about that. The poetry study in Bigger will be a great basis for your ds to learn how to write his own poetry. It will help him learn meter, rhyme, and other poetic devices. It looks like the book that Amy recommended would be a good resource for you to use a handbook. If you do choose to add some extra writing, I would be careful to keep it short, fun, and infrequent. Bigger is already a full guide with lots of great skills to master. Even though your ds won't be writing in all of those skills, he will be developing his thinking to help him become a better writer overall.
He was writing 9 page stories, albeit large lined pages, by the end of the year. He really took off with writing and seemed to love it even through last year (2nd grade).
After what you wrote there, I really wouldn't worry. it sounds like your ds is a natural writer and loves to write. Even if he didn't have any further writing this year (which won't be the case with Bigger :wink: ), it sounds like he would do just fine. I pray you continue to enjoy your first year of homeschooling and HOD! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1