Help with going 1/2 speed please

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kims

Help with going 1/2 speed please

Post by Kims » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:34 pm

(We are using Beyond)
I know I must have some mental block but honestly I just can't figure out how to do 1/2 speed.
So I had this brain storm the other day that I could just do 17 units this year and 17 next. Isn't that something? LOL I know that sounds crazy but it has been so hard for me. Even looking at others schedules. I think I may just school 3 days one week and 2 the next with HOD. Then on the not HOD days we could do other stuff and crafty stuff.
I know I must have some mental block but honestly I just can't figure out how to do 1/2 speed.
So I had this brain storm the other day that I could just do 17 units this year and 17 next. Isn't that something? LOL I know that sounds crazy but it has been so hard for me. Even looking at others schedules. I think I may just school 3 days one week and 2 the next with HOD. Then on the not HOD days we could do other stuff and crafty stuff.
But...My big question is what to do about math and other stuff. I know I want to continue math at full speed and probably the spelling words then next year I can just do list two of the spelling words. He is not ready for copy work and will never copy a whole poem by the end of this year so I want to move slowly with that too. We also add in Explode the Cod so I wll move at the normal pace with that. What else should I move at a regular pace? I really want him to be much older when doing the higher guides he is only 6 now and doing Beyond and while he is doing ok I feel like he is not getting all he could.

So does this sound doable and please help with the other stuff. Thanks,
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

MelInKansas

Re: Help with going 1/2 speed please

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:25 pm

I think what people generally do is do the R side one day and the L side the next day, thereby doing 5 days a week but only 1/2 of a day's work in one day. Your units would take 2 weeks (which would be true if you only do 5 full days of HOD in 2 weeks time but you would have much longer in between doing them - although I guess your time between history readings remains the same either way). I think doing 1 page instead of 2 each day would give you more continuity. The things you really have to keep together are the history, Bible, and rotating box. You could go full speed with math and spelling/grammar, doing them every day (making you on a different page for those than for the rest of the work, but if you just mark them you should be fine).

Here is an example.
Monday: Unit 1 Day 1 History, Bible, Music, Rotating box, LA (spelling/grammar), Math (since you wanted to go full speed with the last 2)
Tuesday: Unit 1 Day 1 Poetry, copywork, Storytime, Reading (Emerging Readers or whatever you are doing), LA, Math
Wednesday: Unit 1 Day 2 History, Bible, Music, Rotating box, LA, Math
Thursday: Unit 1 Day 2 Poetry, copywork, Storytime, Reading, LA, Math
Friday: Unit 1 Day 3 History, Bible, Music, Rotating Box, LA, Math

You may want to review memory verses every day too, as I find the continuity of doing it every day, even on our days off of school, really keeps it in their memory well. But you could keep it shorter on days that aren't "Bible" days.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:13 pm

Hello. Doing Beyond at half-speed sounds like a good idea for your little man. Bigger is definitely a big jump up in writing activities. A suggestion would be to begin implementing copywork when you feel your son is ready. Beginning with just a line or two of the poem of course and taking no more than 5 minutes. I would do Bible, Math, phonics/readers, handwriting/copywork, spelling and read-alouds daily, but that's just me. :D

Another option with your half-speed schedule would be to read the history on day 1, and doing the activity in the rotating box on day 2. You could discuss the history you read the day before as you do the rotating box. This may help everything sink in a little bit more for your son.

What does your son enjoy the most and would like to do each day?
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

Kims

Post by Kims » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:15 pm

I have tried doing the one side one day and the other the next and I just can't figure it out.
Then I have tried doing the history one day and the rotating box the next and that just didn't work for me either.

What is he interested in?.... I am not sure really. He catches on really quickly but maturity wise he is young. Academic wise he is right on target, reading very well and all. Writing is progressing, math is going ok no big problems or blocks. He really likes when I read to him.

I know I will find my groove just getting there is driving me batty. I am a planner so this is hard for me.

Thanks ladies for your help. I am still trying to sort this out. I think I will spend tomorrow after we do school looking and working on it.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:12 pm

So, what wasn't working for you about doing L side one day, R side the next? Why was it difficult? Was it hard for you or hard for your child? If you think doing a whole day in the guide but doing it every other day will work better for you by all means try it. It might seem more cohesive that way, hold everything together. You would still do math and spelling every day though? That's the part that confuses me, it seems like then every other day you'll be doing a lot of stuff and the in between days will be really light. Again, if that seems easier to you go ahead and try it!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:39 pm

I think this looks GREAT! :D It fits all the goals you mentioned, but gives good continuity to the learning... :D
MelInKansas wrote:...
Here is an example.
Monday: Unit 1 Day 1 History, Bible, Music, Rotating box, LA (spelling/grammar), Math (since you wanted to go full speed with the last 2)
Tuesday: Unit 1 Day 1 Poetry, copywork, Storytime, Reading (Emerging Readers or whatever you are doing), LA, Math
Wednesday: Unit 1 Day 2 History, Bible, Music, Rotating box, LA, Math
Thursday: Unit 1 Day 2 Poetry, copywork, Storytime, Reading, LA, Math
Friday: Unit 1 Day 3 History, Bible, Music, Rotating Box, LA, Math
Now, this may sound silly, and this very well could be just a thing that I need, but it does help me when beginning a new guide to have the very specific title of the "box" of plans I am doing, written with the approximate amount of time next to it. So, I'm taking MelInKansas' schedule here and adding those "helps" I love in case it may help you too...

First half:
Reading about History (10 min.)
Bible Study and Corresponding Music boxes (10 min.)
Bottom left rotating box - which is either Artistic Expression, Science Exploration, Geography or History Activity (15-20 min.)
Language Arts - spelling or grammar part (15 min.)
Math Exploration (15-20 min.)

Second half:
Poetry and Rhymes (5-10 min.)
Language Arts - copywork part (5 min.)
Storytime (15-20 min.)
Reading Choices (15 min. if doing the Emerging Readers and 20-25 min. if doing DITHR 2/3)
Language Arts - spelling or grammar part (15 min.)
Math Exploration (15-20 min.)

And you would just alternate between the top two plans, doing the first half one day, and the second half the next, which would fit your 17 Units this year, and 17 units next year plan perfectly! (Just so you know, I used Carrie's times for Beyond from this thread...)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4390&p=32417

I would actually have a printed copy of the half-speed schedule you are using (whether it is the one here or your own), and check it off as you go. I'd also check off each box of plans in the guide as you complete them. This really helps me, as I can visually see what we have done, and what we have left to finish. It is motivating to my dc too, to see those little checkmarks, and feel the accomplishment of completing their work well. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie