Advice on placement

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Knittinfarmgirl

Advice on placement

Post by Knittinfarmgirl » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:03 pm

I started the year with my kids combined in another curriculum. My dd is 7 in second grade and my ds is 9 in 4th. I'd thought to keep them combined but it's just gotten to the point where I cannot deceive myself in thinking this is working well for us. I do love learning together but my kids are too far apart skill-wise and my 7yro is suffering. She is always overshadowed by her brother and it's begun to affect her desire to participate. I need to separate them and give her the attention she needs.

I am debating what to do with my 9yro ds. I have the Preparing guide and was all set to start with that, but.... now I'm 2nd guessing myself. He's quite bright and does a good job with oral narration. He hates the physical act of writing. We've come a long way with this since last year and he does okay with copywork passages. I'm just really not sure that he's ready for written narrations. Does it sound like he'd do okay with Preparing or would he be better in Bigger?

As far as my dd, I'm wondering if I should put her in Beyond or go with Little Hearts. She's my butterfly, lighting here and there and can be easily distracted. She's a fairly immature 7. She's been struggling with her reading and it's only just starting to come together but I feel like we have a long way to go with her still. She actually narrates quite well when I can be sure she's focused. (Our 2yro can be a bit of a distraction. :wink: ) What do you recommend? I'm just not sure what to do.

Thanks!
Cyndy

Wife to DH 17 yrs.
DS 9~ Bigger
DD 7~ Beyond 1/2 pace
DD 2~ LHTH bits and pieces

krismoose

Re: Advice on placement

Post by krismoose » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:32 pm

Welcome!
Have you looked at the placement chart? http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php I haven't done Preparing, so I'll address your dd7...Is she split between the 2 guides? Maybe take a look IRL at a few of the storytime read-alouds to get an idea if one would be more interesting to her. The Burgess stories are public domain, and you can look at a few of them at mainlesson.com. The Burgess books took a few days to get used to the older language, but my ds really enjoyed them. You can always get them as extra RAs if you go with Beyond :) Many of the Beyond storytime read-alouds were available at our public library. When I was looking at starting Beyond last year, I saw that while my ds was interested in the history portions, the RAs were beyond him at the time, maturity-wise, as were some of the follow-up questions in the guide. (you can look at the sample week to see examples.) If she's interested in the Beyond materials, I'd start there and maybe just do it 4 days a week, picking up with the next day in the guide wherever you leave off at the end of the week. That way you wouldn't get to Bigger too soon, and you could even slow down more for a season if you wanted to. The writing is minimal in both LHFHG and Beyond, allowing you to go at the chld's pace in that area. The science is enjoyable in both, and can be beefed up easily in LHFHG if you decide to go with that guide. HTH, and I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences. :D
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

Knittinfarmgirl

Post by Knittinfarmgirl » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:14 pm

Thanks, Kristen. I have looked at the placement chart and I'm just concerned with her late reading that she won't be ready for Bigger next year. You make a good point that I could slow it down by doing it four days. I hadn't considered that. I'm sure she'd enjoy the Beyond books. I've been reading the Little House books to her and she loves those.
Cyndy

Wife to DH 17 yrs.
DS 9~ Bigger
DD 7~ Beyond 1/2 pace

beverett

Post by beverett » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:23 am

Hello, I just wanted to pop in and say that this past year I did Bigger with 2nd(7yr) and 4th(9yr) boys. We absolutely loved it! From what you have shared about your son I would probably start him in Bigger. My 4th grader at the time did great in it (he really could have already done Preparing but I needed to combine so we would only be starting HOD with 3 guides and I am glad we started in Bigger). We just recently started Preparing with both and my now 5th grader really could do CTC but chose to stay with us in preparing ( he really didnt want to miss any of the bools scheduled in it! LOVE HOD!! :D :D ).... I am just saying this to let you know that
1)Bigger would be plenty for a 4th grader (so you dont have to think "will it be meaty enough", it is!)
2)It is a big jump to Preparing (IMO). It requires a LOT more writing, that to get the full benefits of the guide really should not be cut out (and you mentioned that you ds does not love to write...)
3)Bigger will totally prepare him for the following guides and to do them WELL :D
4)I think because we started in Bigger instead of Preparing just because he could have "done" it, We regained the love for learning that he had really started to loose! This was huge for me!!! :D
I really hope this makes sense, I feel like I am rushing it (kids waiting for breakfast :lol: )
Hope this is helpfully! You and your kiddos will love HOD! We have been blessed in numerous ways and are so thankful to have had the Lords leading us here!
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Knittinfarmgirl wrote:Thanks, Kristen. I have looked at the placement chart and I'm just concerned with her late reading that she won't be ready for Bigger next year. You make a good point that I could slow it down by doing it four days. I hadn't considered that. I'm sure she'd enjoy the Beyond books. I've been reading the Little House books to her and she loves those.
You could use Little Hearts for her with first grade options, and choose the level of math that fits her (use the free printable singapore math placement test available online), along with a phonics program. That would give her time to grow in reading, yet challenge her where she is ready. Bigger sounds like a good place to start your 9 year old boy, so he can gain the skills he needs to be ready for the writing and beginning of independent work in Preparing the following year. If you are planning to use singapore math with him, also use the placement test.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Knittinfarmgirl

Post by Knittinfarmgirl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:07 pm

beverett wrote:Hello, I just wanted to pop in and say that this past year I did Bigger with 2nd(7yr) and 4th(9yr) boys. We absolutely loved it! From what you have shared about your son I would probably start him in Bigger.... I am just saying this to let you know that
1)Bigger would be plenty for a 4th grader (so you dont have to think "will it be meaty enough", it is!)
2)It is a big jump to Preparing (IMO). It requires a LOT more writing, that to get the full benefits of the guide really should not be cut out (and you mentioned that you ds does not love to write...)
3)Bigger will totally prepare him for the following guides and to do them WELL :D
Thanks for sharing your experience, Brandi! The more I've pondered this, the more I'm inclined to do Bigger with him. If it's truly enough for 4th grade, then we won't be losing anything, just gaining the time to work on the skills he'll need for Preparing. :D
Cyndy

Wife to DH 17 yrs.
DS 9~ Bigger
DD 7~ Beyond 1/2 pace

Knittinfarmgirl

Post by Knittinfarmgirl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:15 pm

blessedmomof4 wrote: You could use Little Hearts for her with first grade options, and choose the level of math that fits her (use the free printable singapore math placement test available online), along with a phonics program. That would give her time to grow in reading, yet challenge her where she is ready. Bigger sounds like a good place to start your 9 year old boy, so he can gain the skills he needs to be ready for the writing and beginning of independent work in Preparing the following year. If you are planning to use singapore math with him, also use the placement test.
I'm leaning in this direction for her. I feel like it would indeed give her the time to develop her reading. If we don't do that well, she'll be at a disadvantage next year. A lighter year with LHFHG may be just what we need to get us over the hump. And if I've got my ds in Bigger, that'll give me the added bonus of not doing Bigger back to back. :wink:

Thanks for the input!!
Cyndy

Wife to DH 17 yrs.
DS 9~ Bigger
DD 7~ Beyond 1/2 pace

beverett

Post by beverett » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:42 am

Cyndi, I just realized I forgot to say that you would be doing his 4th grade level on math and grammar while doing Bigger. We actually did level 3 Rod and Staff just because we were new to Rod and Staff. If you choose to use Rod and Staff you would just want to make sure you schedule it as to finish level 8 by graduation. Carries states that levels 7 and 8 are high school worthy :D . You may have already known these things, but I thought I would add them... Oh and if he really enjoys reading, then you could always add the extensions that are intended for 10 and 11 yr olds doing Bigger to extend the areas of history and science for older students. I opted not to do them because like you my 4th grader was only 9 when we started and didnt turn 10 until half way through! :D :D Just some things to consider. Hope this is helpful!! :D :D
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

Knittinfarmgirl

Post by Knittinfarmgirl » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:54 am

beverett wrote:Cyndi, I just realized I forgot to say that you would be doing his 4th grade level on math and grammar while doing Bigger. We actually did level 3 Rod and Staff just because we were new to Rod and Staff. If you choose to use Rod and Staff you would just want to make sure you schedule it as to finish level 8 by graduation. Carries states that levels 7 and 8 are high school worthy :D . You may have already known these things, but I thought I would add them... Oh and if he really enjoys reading, then you could always add the extensions that are intended for 10 and 11 yr olds doing Bigger to extend the areas of history and science for older students. I opted not to do them because like you my 4th grader was only 9 when we started and didnt turn 10 until half way through! :D :D Just some things to consider. Hope this is helpful!! :D :D
I have R&S 3. I figured we'd work through what we needed to and then move on to 4. I have considered the extension books for him. He is a very strong reader. I don't know if they'll be needed... he doesn't turn 10 until next summer. I figure I'll have them on hand and see how it goes.
Cyndy

Wife to DH 17 yrs.
DS 9~ Bigger
DD 7~ Beyond 1/2 pace

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Cyndy - You received some solid advice here! :D I agree - Bigger Hearts for ds, and LHFHG with first grade options for dd. I think they will both bloom! I'm excited for you and your family - HOD is such a blessing. My dc are too far apart skillwise to combine, and we have thoroughly enjoyed meeting each of their needs with different HOD guides. HOD makes it easy on us - as the older learns skills to work successfully more independently, time is freed up to teach the younger one the skills they are desperately needing. :D Bigger Hearts is one of my biggest teaching years, and I really enjoy honing in on each of those skills and giving my dc a firm foundation to build upon in all the years to come as they become more independent. Doing LHFHG with your dd will help her gain confidence, flourish, and give you time to focus on the 3 R's with her, as well as give you time to really solidify LA skills for ds in BHFHG. Have fun with them - I think you'll love the satisfaction of meeting each of their needs so beautifully! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Knittinfarmgirl

Post by Knittinfarmgirl » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks, Julie! I actually submitted my Bigger order today. Now I'm chomping at the bit for it to get here. :wink: I have Little Hearts in hand, so I'm good to go for my dd. We're on fall break this week. I am so excited to get started back next week... with our HOD materials!
Cyndy

Wife to DH 17 yrs.
DS 9~ Bigger
DD 7~ Beyond 1/2 pace