Schooling 3 Days a Week?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
honeymomma4

Schooling 3 Days a Week?

Post by honeymomma4 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Is this possible with a pre-K & 1st grader? I also have 2 younger children and am expecting another in April! So maybe call it survival mode?

just wondering if this is OK. If we double up on Monday and Wed. and then do Friday light - we've covered everything, right?
Taking Tuesday to do field trips, or catch up at home & watch movies. then Thursday is mom's AM bible study (kids have fun play/childcare) and kids have gym time Friday afternoon.

Has anyone done this? I have one moody kid and one extreme extrovert.
i can't seem to do a 4-day week tho. I get really burned out by Wed. if we go full steam.
To me, maybe in the stage I am in, getting them to the table is half the battle. if we do an extra workbook or math page it doesn't make that much of a difference I don;t think! I could be wrong. willing to try it!

thanks for the input!

Mom of Three

Re: Schooling 3 Days a Week?

Post by Mom of Three » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:47 pm

I've done that some weeks. With five days scheduled in the book, I do two days the first day, two days the second, and one day the third.
2 daughters in Beyond Little Hearts and CLE Math

1 daughter in Creation to Christ and Teaching Textbooks Math

honeymomma4

Post by honeymomma4 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:52 pm

thanks!
I'm guessing by lack of response this schedule isn't too popular. I guess it would be more of a survival schedule for us, but not sure it is consistent enough for my kids! THANKS!

anne cochrane

Post by anne cochrane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:41 pm

I have taught 3 days a week. And the kids did not suffer. In fact they i worried that they weren't learning, but you know what they were and were doing great!! I think if you are burning out after 3 days, then stop, the kids are only young and I think relax and enjoy them. Do school and then let them soak it up for a few days. Kids are sponges and practice their lessons through everyday play and activities at the early stages. Just relax they will be fine :)
A newbie from Australia

dd (7) and ds(10) preparing
dd (4) LHTH
ds (1) trying to join in.

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 pm

I have older children 17 & 19 that I started homeschooling in K & 2. They are in college or taking college classes in high school. We only did 3 days per week and went on field trips took classes etc the other days. This schedule was maintained until they were in the 5th grade. Fast forward...they are now in college and have a 3.9 GPA. I don't think it hurt them one bit. We enjoyed our early years having fun and preventing burnout. They are little for so short a season enjoy it! My dds also had difficulty with reading and math but now are attending college on an academic scholarship. They learned at their pace and still love learning and thank me for their education. I school the 2 younger kids 5 & 9 yo 4 days because they like to stay home and they need the structure but if we only feel like only 3 days we do 3!
Tammyss